Terrorist attack in Berlin

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Nachos

Terrorist attack in Berlin

Postby Nachos » Mon Dec 19, 18:06 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38373867

This is literally three streets from where I live. Thank god none of my family or friends were injured but my goodness. Fuck terrorists. All they want to do is harm and provoke and for fucks sake, the Russian ambassador to Turkey was also shot today??? Fuck this world.

People, I can't anymore. Why does this shit keep happening?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

octarineoboe

Re: Terrorist attack in Berlin

Postby octarineoboe » Mon Dec 19, 20:30 2016

I'm glad you and those you love are OK.

I don't know what's going on or why anymore. I feel like we're living in fear, and that means the terrorists have won. I wish there was something more I could do or say, but I've been feeling pretty hopeless since the US election. This just deepens that feeling.

Bork

Postby Bork » Mon Dec 19, 21:20 2016

Very relieved to hear that you're okay.

What I hate most about this is that news like this doesn't even faze me at this point. Like, freaking of course there's been another terrorist attack somewhere because apparently that's just the world that we live in today.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

iamthegate

Postby iamthegate » Tue Dec 20, 1:23 2016

I don't know how to respond anymore. I'm not afraid, as in, I'm not going to change the things I do. But fuck... It's so close. (I live in the Netherlands)

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Dec 20, 9:56 2016

You posting yesterday was how I first heard about it. :( I'm glad you're all right, but the whole world is burning and IDEK anymore. I mean, we (humanity as a whole) just can't seem to get our shit together.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Dec 20, 12:08 2016

I'm glad you're okay Nachos.

What I hate most about this is that news like this doesn't even faze me at this point. Like, freaking of course there's been another terrorist attack somewhere because apparently that's just the world that we live in today.

This. It seems like a statistical certitude that an attack will happen. Setting aside the more complex thoughts here, I'm concerned both for the people affected and for how that attack will be politicized.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Tue Dec 20, 12:40 2016

I'm glad that you and those close to you weren't harmed.

It is depressing how such things keep happening.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Tue Dec 20, 13:58 2016

Sonic# wrote:Setting aside the more complex thoughts here, I'm concerned both for the people affected and for how that attack will be politicized.
I hate that my immediate reaction is to think about how something like this will be used.

Nacho's, I'm really glad you're okay.

rinn

Postby rinn » Tue Dec 20, 16:19 2016

I'm so sorry for that happening so close to your home, but I'm glad you and family are okay.

this kind of news doesn't seem to faze me now either. I just feel so helpless and wish there was more that I could do. it's like watching dominoes fall.

SpicyX

Postby SpicyX » Sat Jan 14, 13:52 2017

Nachos wrote:People, I can't anymore. Why does this shit keep happening?

This is what happens when you indiscriminately let in people from a part of the world that is notoriously anti-Western, and don't screen them like you should be. If no one has ever watched this video, it pretty much dispels the myth of the "peaceful immigrant population."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cb0_1447249820

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Jan 14, 15:24 2017

^ I challenge the premise. How could any one video dispel the fact that immigrant populations are in most cases less dangerous? The Wikipedia entry on the issue is pretty valuable; pertaining to Europe, one study from 2015 includes this sober assessment:

Immigration and crime: evidence from victimization data wrote:Our empirical findings show that an increase in immigration does not affect crime victimization, but it is associated with an increase in the fear of crime, the latter being consistently and positively correlated with the natives’ unfavourable attitude toward immigrants. Our results reveal a misconception of the link between immigration and crime among European natives.

That's why I tend to dismiss videos like this. When it comes to actual evidence of causality between immigrant populations and crime rates, the evidence doesn't show it. Instead, it shows that people tend to become more fearful of immigrant populations, and hence more likely to produce or believe in videos like the one you linked to.

SpicyX

Postby SpicyX » Sat Jan 14, 16:38 2017

I don't think it's a coincidence that the increase in Jihadist-motivated terrorist attacks in Europe coincides with the massive influx of Muslim populations over the past decade. Some perpetrators are first generation immigrants, others have been in Europe longer, but the ideologies are the same. Again, these people are coming from a part of the world with elements that are openly anti-Western, with the very explicit goal of bringing Jihad against the West.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/sites/def ... t_2016.pdf

In 2015, 1077 individuals were arrested for terrorism-related offences, over 774 in 2014 and 535 in 2013. Similarly, actual attacks have jumped 40% since 2013.

If the question is why this keeps happening, then the answer is: Because they're being let in.

Aum

Postby Aum » Sat Jan 14, 22:16 2017

Was it actually confirmed that the Christmas attack was terrorism? The article said that the German government isn't ruling it an act of terrorism.

SpicyX... the U.S., supported by NATO and Germany, are currently bombing 7 middle eastern countries. Syria has been obliterated, their civilization is completely destroyed. Literally. Have you seen any pictures of Syria lately? There is nothing left. U.S. and EU foreign policy created ISIS. Calling them terrorists and radicals is incredibly obtuse. They are soldiers coming to attack us on our home soil as part of the ongoing wars we are waging.

The influx of immigration is our own doing, compounded by the jidahists who are taking advantage of the opportunity. You're talking as if xenophobia and hatred of the west are inborn cultural traits of the immigrants, when in fact the minority of radicals have become that way through our own western foreign policy.

I wish people would wake up and stop blaming Islam. It's so obtuse. Read a damn history book.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Tue Jan 17, 18:28 2017

SpicyX wrote:
Nachos wrote:People, I can't anymore. Why does this shit keep happening?

This is what happens when you indiscriminately let in people from a part of the world that is notoriously anti-Western, and don't screen them like you should be. If no one has ever watched this video, it pretty much dispels the myth of the "peaceful immigrant population."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cb0_1447249820

Untrue. The immigrants are people fleeing because their own countries are being destroyed. And not by them. It is not the Islamic faith that is the problem, it is the fundamentalists and those who brainwash young vulnerable people. Please temper your anti-Islam comments here as they are not welcome.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Return to “Ranting”