Dietary Claims

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Unvoiced_Apollo

Dietary Claims

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Jul 25, 14:11 2016

I got this energy drink claiming to have negative calories more out of curiosity than believing what it said. It has 10 calories but claims to miraculuosly burn calories, burn fat, and increase metabolism. The catch? Well, their scientific study of those going to see trainers says it worked for them when they exercised. That's right, when you drink this and do modrrate exercise, you'll butn calories, gain increased metabolism, etc. Because it's not enough to exrrcise to gain those bebefits, despite what doctors say. No, you need this "supplement" to kickstart everything. The real kicker? It IS considered a supplement by the FDA so as such, so long as it's not considered dangerous, they can make nearly any damn claim they want.

Gets really ridiculous what some of these companies can claim & what the government allows.

geldofc

Re: Dietary Claims

Postby geldofc » Mon Jul 25, 23:29 2016

Yeah, a lot of dietary claims seem to appeal to peoples' wishful thinking. Celery supposedly had negative calories but that was disproven.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Jul 26, 9:07 2016

If it's technically truthful, and if that technical truth does no harm, then I'm fine with the FDA allowing it.

I still object to marketing that does that. The overuse of "green," "organic," and "GMO-free" bothers me. The commercials for exercise equipment that claim that using their equipment for 30 minutes a day 3-4 days a week will revolutionize my body - they're doing the same thing, even though I could get similar results with a chin-up bar and free weights. That said, if they get someone exercising and improving their health, go them.

I think this is a case where being a consumer watchdog does a lot more good. Companies profit from toeing any line of truth, and limiting what they can say or do will just lead them to adapt their marketing. I watched smoking companies do this all through my childhood. Grassroots organizations and free health advice erode the market for this kind of deception.

Rainbow Dolphins

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Jul 26, 18:34 2016

It really helps you be a more discerning consumer to know about these FDA labelling "loopholes." For example, if something has cocoa solids but no cocoa butter (they use some lower quality fat) they cannot technically label it chocolate, but they can use words like "chocolatey" or "chocolate flavored". If there is less than 1 gram of trans fat per serving in a food item, they are allowed to list it as 0 grams- but they can't put the words "no trans fats" on the package. So, if it has "0 grams trans fat!" splashed across the front, look at the ingredients and I guarantee it contains partially hydrogenated oils. All they have to do is crank down the recommended serving size until it's .9 grams of trans fats or less. Honestly, don't even look at anything but the ingredients- that nutrition facts panel is only moderately useful, and don't even bother reading the front label- they can put almost anything on there.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Aum

Postby Aum » Sat Jul 30, 20:12 2016

Meh... there's no real substitute for a whole food diet and regular exercise. Marketing might make it seem otherwise but... nope.

"Organic" mostly only matters to me when I'm buying whole produce, and even then, sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't. Root vegetables and things with peels I don't really care about, but things like leafy greens and berries make difference.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Sun Jul 31, 1:40 2016

Organic berries do have a lot more antioxidants. I try to get them when I can afford it :watermelon:
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Rainbow Dolphins

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Aug 1, 22:14 2016

I care about local a lot more than organic. Incidentally most local food is organic anyway.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Return to “Ranting”