Paaaaaants.

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

DarkOne

Paaaaaants.

Postby DarkOne » Wed Oct 19, 14:31 2016

So I'm out looking for some cold weather play pants for my 3yo. I already have a tubful of inherited long sleeve tops but for some reason no pants. Anywho, my "girl" options for pants at this one store: skinny jeans; skinny corduroys; tights; fleece-lined tights. In the boy section: wide-legged jeans, sweatpant-jeans; fleece sweatpants; thick cotton sweatpants; wind-breaker pants with a nice soft lining... Of course, they're all navy and grey and camo green and bleh... The thermal engineer in me overruled the fun, color-matching fashionista in me, and I came home with a handful of comfy, warm, PRACTICAL neutral-colored pants for my daughter. But REALLY is it too much to ask that pants be both winter-winds-friendly AND colorful???? God forbid the market something for 3 yo girls that isn't skin-tight or insanely short (I'll wait for summer to rant about shorts). Gah -- we're never getting rid of this attitude, are we?

For our overseas friends, is this a US phenomenon, or are little kids clothes this differentiated everywhere in the freaking planet??? There's no physiological reason for the differentiation at that age...

Rant over.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Re: Paaaaaants.

Postby rowan » Wed Oct 19, 15:44 2016

Fleece lined leggings are the best tho. ;) Wear 'em under skirts.

Well, they're the best until it's too cold for them. Otherwise I buy online, you can find good stuff that's not tight if you look hard enough.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

ladyhawk

Postby ladyhawk » Wed Oct 19, 16:59 2016

I have the opposite problem here. (I'm also in the US.) Everything is insanely gender specific, of course, but the selection of boys' clothing vs. girls is pathetic. Like, less than a quarter of the size. At almost every affordable store I try to shop at. Buuuut I have two of them, so really only buying clothes for the oldest is a struggle.

I did notice that the girls' selection isn't really a selection, though, while trying to shop for my stepdaughter. Even more infuriatingly, her mother has embraced the toddlers-in-bootyshorts as an acceptable fashion thing, so I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle.

She once sent her over in a shirt that said "Future Hooters Girl" on it. It was swiftly thrown away. Like, if she wants to dress herself in tight/revealing/whatever clothing, cool, but dressing the seven year old like that is not cool, in my book.

She has a lot of "boy" clothes in neutral colors. At least at my house.

Hijack over.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Oct 19, 19:06 2016

Target has been blending their sections a little more. I got an awesome jellyfish shirt for the kiddo there.

Oh, also Fleet Farm. For those of us with curves. SRSLY that's where I buy my pants. Dunno about kids stuff though but it might be more practical + colors

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Thu Oct 20, 4:23 2016

rowan wrote:Fleece lined leggings are the best tho. ;) Wear 'em under skirts.

They did feel nice and soft.... Still, tights seem to ride up on my girl more than loose pants. I'l have to check them out; our winters really aren't that harsh...

And I used to have a Farm&Fleet where I lived in IL, but not here... :( I liked that store.

ladyhawk wrote:I have the opposite problem here. (I'm also in the US.) Everything is insanely gender specific, of course, but the selection of boys' clothing vs. girls is pathetic. Like, less than a quarter of the size...
...Hijack over.

Hijack warranted. Agreed, girls had a wider selection of prints, boys just happened to have a wider selection of the pants I wanted. In varying shades of blah.
:flamethrower: toddlers-in-bootyshorts <-- try going down a slide at 4PM in summer wearing that. :bomb:
:flamethrower: "Future Hooters Girl" shirt
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Thu Oct 20, 8:06 2016

My turn to hijack.

The toddler-bootyshort style must have been thought up by the same idiot who thinks T shirts on a 6-month old are a good idea. I mean, they're cute because they're small, but totally impractical because they ride up and end up in his armpits exposing his belly.

I thought the most commonly known gender-neutral color was green, right? We received a handmade baby blanket gift before we knew the sex and it was pink and blue. I guess they are the only acceptable colors for babies.

Also, I may have 'forgotten' to dress him in his Cleveland Indians logo onesie before he grew out of it.

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Thu Oct 20, 14:20 2016

antfancier wrote:Also, I may have 'forgotten' to dress him in his Cleveland Indians logo onesie before he grew out of it.

But come on, he needs it now, IT'S WORLD SERIES TIME!!!!!!

Probably a good choice though. My parents got me an Indians shirt and hat for my birthday and ...yeah, I had to send those back :/

Okay now I will be done hijacking. I am really excited about the World Series though! I wish my team didn't have a horrible racist logo!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 20, 15:29 2016

Speaking as a non-parent Canadian who has bought baby clothes for showers before this is totally a problem here too. It's possible to get more neutral stuff but you have to work at it. H&M looks like it might be a bit better? And I think the gap has some decent stuff.

Oh and I hear that baby pants have an extremely short shelf life once they start crawling. Maybe that's why you didn't get any as hand me downs?
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Fri Oct 21, 1:25 2016

If you're crafty at all, you could use ribbon/applique to make the pants cute. Find some craft cotton with a print you like, cut out a shape and sew it on. Ta-da! Cute pants out of boring pants! This works for all genders of child - whether your kiddo likes trucks, aeroplanes, books, animals, fairies, whatever. Or use ribbon to do lines of decoration around the hems or pockets. Make little bows and sew them on. Weave a small decorative patch of ribbon and attach it. Pants are pants, they're for everyone, regardless of colour. I hate that children's clothing is segregated by colour, style and practicality.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Oct 21, 10:24 2016

Ooh there's iron-on patches and stuff too. Very little work for good impact

Return to “Ranting”