Nachos

Brexit

Postby Nachos » Thu Mar 30, 7:32 2017

:brokenheart:
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

DarkOne

Re: Brexit

Postby DarkOne » Thu Mar 30, 9:58 2017

It's like watching a car crash. A big, English-speaking car crash. Hey, Australia, it's your turn to stir the pot: Are you fine folks ditching the queen as head of state anytime soon? (Makes me wonder, is there anyone here form Australia?)

Anyway, I'm sorry Brexit is bumming you out. All that uncertainty ain't fun. We can somewhat(?) relate here in the US. I'm interested to see if there's additional fallout related to Scotland and Northern Ireland.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Mar 31, 9:30 2017

I'm sorry Nachos. :( I keep hoping the world will get its head back on straight but things seems to be all awful. Sounds like I might need a visa to come that way too, anymore. Which I mean I can't fault the EU for, given the US policies now.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Sun Apr 2, 11:34 2017

All I'll say is that when it is all over I'm sure things will be better than remainers fear and not as great as leavers hope.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Tue Apr 4, 7:35 2017

Good point Tweek - I really can't understand though why anyone thinks it will be better than it is now. OF COURSE it is not perfect now, but nothing can get better if we retreat to being an island with no connection to Europe - which is what will end up, even if people think it won't - because Europe (and predominantly the French) will make sure that we are out on a limb.

sadsmile123

Postby sadsmile123 » Mon Apr 17, 8:21 2017

Hi!
I think there are four main reasons why UK has left the EU.

1) Britain did not consider themselves European to begin with. Thatcher convinced UK to join the EEC (the former EU) only to have economic advantages. Before the UK tried to make another economic partnership, the EFTA, whic was not as profitable.

2) The political idea of closing borders is not new. It's called protectionism, and it is supposed to make one's own products sell better in one's own country by employing harsher restrictions on products from the outside. Since Britain imported more from the EU than exporting into it, that has made the country economically inefficient. Especially, French nationalists as Marine Le Pen want a referendum to make France exit the EU as well.

2) I was in Britain before the referendum and people seemed not only there concerned about a secret organisation called "Bilderberg", which apparently wants to centralize political power from the european states to the EU, putting EU regulations over country laws, which would eventually make the EU a super state.

3) Of course, the uncontrolled immigration from Arab countries and some european countries (especially Poland is mentioned in this context): Britain has long been against it, which can be seen with the border at the Calais Channel and the few people admitted into Britain.

sadsmile123

Postby sadsmile123 » Mon Apr 17, 8:24 2017

PS: in my last sentence, with "people" I meant refugees, not regular commuting people or tourists.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Apr 17, 15:09 2017

^ Almost as many people voted against Brexit as for it, so it's strange to say "Britain did not consider themselves European to begin with." Obviously a large contingent of Britains disagree, welcome Polish immigrants, and so on.

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Tue Apr 18, 5:41 2017

We were in the "Common Market" as it was called (prior to EEC or EU) before Thatcher.

Return to “Ranting”