Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

Galen

Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Galen » Thu Dec 8, 9:50 2016

Yay, a list of questions! Takes all the pressure off trying to come up with some sort of brilliant, pithy self-introduction. What performance anxiety?

Your username, nicknames, how to pronounce it:
My username is my real-life first name. It's pronounced GALE-uhn, like a windstorm with an N.

Occupation/Potential Occupation:
I've worked (in no particular order) as a teacher, carpenter, housepainter, counselor, writer, editor, plasterer, stencil-maker, silkscreener, and a bunch of other miscellaneous jobs. Nowadays I'm fortunate enough to not have to work.

Educational Status:
I somehow managed to get a B.A. in philosophy (linguistics). That was fun but it doesn't seem to have had a hugely useful impact on the rest of my life, except for the part where I sometimes get to annoy my loved ones in linguistic ways.

Notable Hobbies:
I don't really have any hobbies. I get into things for a while and then peter out. I do go through phases of collecting things, but the only things I've consistently collected over the years have been words. I collect reduplications and terms that refer to women. Some years ago my yard started suddenly producing mummified frogs, and for a while I collected them and dressed them up and posted pictures of them having conversations with each other -- does that count as a hobby? Now I sound like a lunatic. My dead frog posts were hilarious, though. The frogs were all named Bruce and the chipper, clueless one always spoke in Comic Sans font. I realize this is not helping me sound like any less of a lunatic.

Favorite Website/Blog:
I haven't followed any blogs in a while, but when I did, I loved The Bloggess. Not just for the dead things, either.

Favorite color:
Purple. I even dye my hair purple to hide the grey.

Favorite animal:
My favorite animal is my cat, Malkin, a tiny grey tabby who came into my life when I was a teenager and graciously accepted me as her companion slave for the next seventeen years. She died eleven years ago and I still miss her, even though I did immediately go out and get myself a rebound replacement cat. Writing about Malkin now has made me miss her with a sudden acuteness, so ... yeah. Thanks a lot for that.

Favorite food:
Shepherd's pie! But with corn instead of peas, and ground turkey instead of ground beef. Also the mashed potato layer has to be made with sour cream instead of milk, and the potato skins must be left on, and the corn has to be Bird's Eye brand, the kind that comes in butter sauce. Other than that, I'm not picky about it at all.

If you are wearing pants, please describe them:
I'm wearing a pair of 27/34 faded, adorably-patched 501s that I've had since high school. Hahaha, just kidding. I haven't been able to squeeze into those for years. Really I'm wearing a pair of purple "perfectly shaping" 512s that I got as hand-me-downs from my 70-year-old friend, who said she thought they made her butt look too flat. I wear them because 1) I do not have a flat butt; and b) I have this belief that you can still be kinda cool at age 42 by wearing Levis, even if they're bright purple and have 5% spandex in order to account for middle-aged-spread. DON'T JUDGE ME

What brought you to spacefem/how'd you find us?
I've recently been on a journey of trying to reclaim a sense of ownership over my skin, and in the process discovered something about myself that I wanted to get some feedback on. I found you by way of an article that described this place as one of the few feminist forums that was relatively active without being too horrible to new folks.

Did you find the FAQ link?
I did. My favorite part of the FAQ is the part about the stars under people's usernames. I like how they self-propagate relative to your post count doubling over time. It makes me think of those videos of the exponential growth of alien plague invasions where you see the one little infectious blob that divides into two, and then each of those divides, and before you know it, your entire view is filled with gazillions of endlessly-replicating killer bacteria. I'm sure there's some telling subconscious connection here between feminism and invading alien bacteria, but I can't quite focus on figuring it out because I'm still feeling a little defensive about the old-lady pants thing.

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 5039
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Sonic# » Thu Dec 8, 11:36 2016

My spouse loves The Bloggess. :) She got her happy notebook signed by her one time during a book signing, to the bemusement of some of the Bloggess's handlers who would have preferred she buy a book that day.

Some years ago my yard started suddenly producing mummified frogs, and for a while I collected them and dressed them up and posted pictures of them having conversations with each other -- does that count as a hobby? Now I sound like a lunatic. My dead frog posts were hilarious, though. The frogs were all named Bruce and the chipper, clueless one always spoke in Comic Sans font. I realize this is not helping me sound like any less of a lunatic.

I definitely think that's odd, but little odder than anyone else who collects biological specimens, and it's not like you killed the frogs for your hobby. You say they're mummified, so it sounds like they weren't in alarming states of decay. I may as well ask - why Bruce?

Galen

Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Galen » Thu Dec 8, 13:15 2016

Sonic# wrote:I may as well ask - why Bruce?

Why not Bruce? Just say it a few times in a row. Bruce Bruce Bruce Bruce Bruuuuuuuce!

No, seriously, I love the name because I think it's the perfect blend of totally dorky and totally cool. Pretty much everything in my life that needs a name gets named Bruce. Except for my useless cat, whose name is Isabel, which is a back-formation of IS, which is a short form of "Inadequate Substitute," which is what I called her when I first brought her home, one week after my perfect cat died. I know; I know: I'm terrible. Isabel concurs.

P.S. I haven't played with dead frogs in a long time. Last weekend, however, when my mom-type was visiting, she and her dog found one, and when I thumped downstairs from my nap, there it was in the middle of the table on the back porch. And there was mom-type, hovering, waiting for my reaction, whereupon she proudly announced: "I found you a Bruce!"

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9442
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby rowan » Thu Dec 8, 14:17 2016

Hah that's funny. Any idea why they started turning up like that?

My hair is also purple, though I may go blue again later. Or maybe I might let it just grow out a while, it's been various colors for a couple of years. Dunno, haven't decided. Probably will do something end of January, I like to dye it right before the new semester. usually I touch up in the middle of the semester too but for some reason didn't this time around. (partly because the color is holding pretty well)

Sometimes I contemplate becoming a carpenter or something like that. Maybe you could post a little about your job(s) and what they were like in Careers/Education sometime after a while.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
rinn

Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 2, 10:03 2016
Contact:

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby rinn » Thu Dec 8, 16:20 2016

Hi there Galen! If you were to ever start a blog of your own, I would read it...your introduction was really entertaining and interesting. Welcome :)

I have a kitten named Nyra who is grey and white. It's my first experience with cats (I grew up with a small dog), and she surprises me all the time!

Galen

Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Galen » Fri Dec 9, 8:45 2016

rowan wrote:Hah that's funny. Any idea why they started turning up like that?

My hair is also purple, though I may go blue again later. Or maybe I might let it just grow out a while, it's been various colors for a couple of years. Dunno, haven't decided. Probably will do something end of January, I like to dye it right before the new semester. usually I touch up in the middle of the semester too but for some reason didn't this time around. (partly because the color is holding pretty well)

No clue about the sudden plethora of dead frogs! Pretty sure it's related to killer bacteria invasions from space, though.

And yay for purple hair! We totally need a secret handshake. I went blue one time and was completely disappointed. Although it did fade out to an awesome teal color over time. Do you dye it yourself? I use Manic Panic Purple Haze -- the color stays pretty well. It's a pain, though, because I have to first bleach out wherever I want the dye to take (I have dark brown hair). And who knew grey hair doesn't take dye well? That's the suckiest thing ever.

rinn wrote:Hi there Galen! If you were to ever start a blog of your own, I would read it...your introduction was really entertaining and interesting. Welcome :)

I have a kitten named Nyra who is grey and white. It's my first experience with cats (I grew up with a small dog), and she surprises me all the time!

Thank you for your kind words about my introduction. Some years ago I actually did blog as a way to try and talk about some personal stuff that I couldn't figure out how to talk about in real life. I was new to the internet and very paranoid about my privacy, so I decided the safest way to do it would be under a persona. The whole thing ended up being complicated for me emotionally, in large part because I didn't go into it understanding how significant and real my online connections would end up feeling/being. The blogging aspect itself was awesome, though.

D'aww, your first cat experience! Is she still a kitten? Is she a tabby? Grey tabbies are the absolute best. I'm not the least bit biased in this regard. Also, you have no idea what you're getting into. That little fluffbutt is gonna end up ruling your life.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9442
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby rowan » Fri Dec 9, 11:12 2016

Galen wrote:
rowan wrote:And yay for purple hair! We totally need a secret handshake. I went blue one time and was completely disappointed. Although it did fade out to an awesome teal color over time. Do you dye it yourself? I use Manic Panic Purple Haze -- the color stays pretty well. It's a pain, though, because I have to first bleach out wherever I want the dye to take (I have dark brown hair). And who knew grey hair doesn't take dye well? That's the suckiest thing ever.

I don't dye it myself, I also have dark brown hair and it needs bleaching out. Actually I'm getting more greys and I asked my stylist about it the last time I was in. She said because grey hairs are no more porous than other hair you do still need to bleach it a little to make it porous enough to hold the dye. And while that's not organic chemistry, I also have had some of the best organic chemistry discussions with my stylist.

The blues I've done have been pretty varied, I think next time I'm gonna go for the "steel blue" kind. Right now the purple I have fades out blue so it is pretty cool by the end, because I wind up having two-toned hair. ;)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
melsbells
member
member
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 6:45 2014
Location: Finland

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby melsbells » Fri Dec 9, 15:32 2016

Welcome!

And huh, I've always read the name Galen as being "Gay Lynn", and now I know. Not as bad as all the Americans trying to say Hermione before the first movie was made. Closer to the first time I attempted to say my spouses name aloud. Though still not as bad because I'm pretty sure I've got it now, I'm not about sure about spouse's name.

And question: Do you prefer the button or zipper fly?

User avatar
kitkatkar

Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 21:57 2016

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby kitkatkar » Fri Dec 9, 23:21 2016

Galen wrote:I found you by way of an article that described this place as one of the few feminist forums that was relatively active without being too horrible to new folks.


I know right! The community here is very welcoming, and very open for discussions.

Welcome! :rainbowsmile:

User avatar
Nech
member
member
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 13:50 2015
Location: Canada

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Nech » Sat Dec 10, 8:26 2016

This is like...the best introduction thread I've seen since I joined heh.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Galen

Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Galen » Sat Dec 10, 10:11 2016

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and responses.

rowan wrote:I also have had some of the best organic chemistry discussions with my stylist.

I think your stylist might be a little smarter than mine ...

melsbells wrote:And huh, I've always read the name Galen as being "Gay Lynn", and now I know. Not as bad as all the Americans trying to say Hermione before the first movie was made. Closer to the first time I attempted to say my spouses name aloud. Though still not as bad because I'm pretty sure I've got it now, I'm not about sure about spouse's name.

And question: Do you prefer the button or zipper fly?

People usually do put the Y sound in there when they say my name. I don't mind, but it's not quite how it's really pronounced. Some people can't even hear the difference between gale-uhn and gay-lynn, which kinda blows me away. People with strong Southern accents pronounce it with three distinct syllables. Cracks me up every time.

And, wait, are you saying you're not sure if you're pronouncing your spouse's name correctly? Also, I have no idea how to pronounce Hermione. That's a Harry Potter thing, right? I'm pre-Harry-Potter. Although I think I read the first book. I remember liking the word "muggle."

One time I met this girl named Sandra. I asked her if I should pronounce it sand-rah or sahhn-dra and she was like, "Oh, either way." I seriously could not pin her down on how she pronounced her own name. Mind. Boggled.

And BUTTON FLY, hands down. Can't even tell you how many zippers I've accidentally mistreated because I forgot I wasn't wearing button-flys. Button-flies? That sounds like some kind of weird parasite. "Honey, why are you walking so funny?" "I've just been diagnosed with button-flies, okay?"

kitkatkar wrote:I know right! The community here is very welcoming, and very open for discussions.

I agree! Although there are some threads that scare me. The more I read the more I think I'm like the world's worst feminist. Or maybe the most inarticulate and behind-the-times feminist, ha. I just scoot by those threads and take refuge in the pet peeves area.

Nech wrote:This is like...the best introduction thread I've seen since I joined heh.

Aw, thank you! I just threw myself an entire imaginary parade for having the best intro thread ever. Saved you the trouble. You're welcome!

-preens-

User avatar
Enigma
member
member
Posts: 3778
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 10:22 2004
Location: Canada

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Enigma » Sun Dec 11, 9:58 2016

That was a great intro. lol I'd love to see some bruces if you still have them?

You should come hang out in all the threads. We always appreciate anyone who isn't a troll in feminism. :P
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9442
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby rowan » Mon Dec 12, 10:59 2016

Galen wrote:I think your stylist might be a little smarter than mine ...

Maybe, maybe not. ;) I think most people don't get into discussions about the chemistry of hair dying with their stylists.

People with strong Southern accents pronounce it with three distinct syllables. Cracks me up every time.

I cannot figure this out at all. How...?

Nech wrote:This is like...the best introduction thread I've seen since I joined heh.

I am fairly certain it's better than mine was, back in the day. ;)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Galen

Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby Galen » Fri Dec 16, 10:40 2016

Enigma wrote:I'd love to see some bruces if you still have them?

I still have them somewhere in a box marked "FRAGILE DEAD THINGS!"

I don't have any recent images, but here's a little compilation I did ages ago (you asked!): http://loveofbruce.blogspot.com/

I also remember there was a post where Comic Sans Bruce dressed up as Josephine Baker for Halloween, but I have no idea what happened to it.


rowan wrote:
Galen wrote:People with strong Southern accents pronounce it with three distinct syllables. Cracks me up every time.

I cannot figure this out at all. How...?

Like ... someone with a really strong Southern accent pronounces "hell" like "HAY-yuhl." So ... "GAY-yuh-lann." The "yuh" is very tiny, but you can still hear it if you listen for it. Okay maybe it's not big enough to be its own distinct syllable. Maybe it's more like, uh, the Y version of a glottal stop. (I just made that up so I could say "glottal stop.")

I did have a friend from Quebec who would pronounce it "Gally-uhn." Like "galleon." It sounded very romantic and mysterious, the way she said it. Of course, she had a really heavy French accent, so basically every word out of her mouth sounded romantic and mysterious to me.

User avatar
melsbells
member
member
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 6:45 2014
Location: Finland

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby melsbells » Sat Dec 17, 15:42 2016

Galen wrote:I still have them somewhere in a box marked "FRAGILE DEAD THINGS!"

I don't have any recent images, but here's a little compilation I did ages ago (you asked!): http://loveofbruce.blogspot.com/


These dead mummified frogs make me strangely happy. I had to show them to my spouse (and yes, I was saying that I'm not sure if I pronounce his name correctly. Vowels can be really tricky. ) because I couldn't contain my mirth. I then had to tell him what I'm about to tell you. I once killed what was probably thousands of frogs. I was driving on a state route on a warm and rainy night and suddenly I realized that the road was covered in frogs. At one point I had to stop the car to cry (probably in the middle of the road) before pulling myself together to make it home. If
Galen wrote:my yard started suddenly producing mummified frogs
, I would probably have to move. Your response is much better.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9442
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby rowan » Sun Dec 18, 11:16 2016

haha I love how you named not jut the frogs but all the things Bruce.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
geldofc

Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 3, 2:00 2016

Re: Purple Pants and Dead Frogs

Postby geldofc » Sat Jan 7, 21:36 2017

:rainbowsmile:
:gf: :devil: :syringe:


Return to “New Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yorkshirebear and 1 guest