I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

XOL
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 19:14 2016

I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby XOL » Sun Dec 18, 10:07 2016

Hey everyone,

I'm doing some research for a project. I read that I can't make topics until I have posted 4 times and I would like to post my questions under the feminism thread later on for discussion once I can do so.

I want to talk about the entertainment industry and films/shows that you found either empowering or repugnant. I think it will actually be a really fun conversation to have and I hope everyone offers an opinion.

A little bit about myself-
I'm a 20 year old guy and working on a degree in journalism.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9434
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby rowan » Sun Dec 18, 11:13 2016

You could poke around and see what we've posted already I guess.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 5032
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby Sonic# » Sun Dec 18, 11:14 2016

Have you read the FAQ? What's your favorite film?

XOL
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 19:14 2016

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby XOL » Sun Dec 18, 12:52 2016

Sonic# wrote:Have you read the FAQ? What's your favorite film?



Hi there,
I did read the FAQ, I didn't really go into a whole lot of detail about myself because I don't plan on necessarily being a long term participant on the forum but would like to at least get one thread going later for the conversation I have in mind.

As far as my favorite movie, I would have to say "Schindler's List". Oddly enough, I don't think I'll ever watch it again. It was very mentally and emotionally taxing.

I read on your profile that you're a professor of literature, what authors do you enjoy? I'm a big Cormac McCarthy fan. I also really like Kurt Vonnegut.

Thanks for the reply.

rowan wrote:You could poke around and see what we've posted already I guess.


Hi,
I meandered around a bit before I registered but I didn't stumble upon anything that really fit what I was looking for.

I read your profile. My sister loves "Good Omens" as well. I have never read myself however despite the recommendation.

Thanks for the reply, I hope to talk to you some more.

[mod-edited: try to keep replies in one post. Thank you!]

User avatar
Nachos
member
member
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 6:42 2004
Location: Next Tuesday
Contact:

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby Nachos » Sun Dec 18, 18:24 2016

Hi there XOL, welcome to the spacefem forums! Now, if you had read the FAQ's you would have noticed that we don't really do Homework help.

Homework help

We are tired of new members joining our forum just to post up a survey or ask questions for a paper you're writing about how feminists are. If you want to join our community, reply to some threads, be one of us and still have questions or want us to help you with a project, that might be okay. Please join for a week and get 8-12 posts under your belt before asking us for something. Also, the forum does have a search box that works quite well.


See, this is a forum made up of like-minded and also non like-minded individuals. Feminism is not our job, just an ideal that we all (ok, not all the people here) share and we have found this little happy place to talk and discuss these things. We do not get paid to be here and we all have individual lives. We are not here to answer your or anyone's questions. We have no one spokesperson.

So, thanks for dropping by and you are indeed welcome to join our community, but don't just barge in and ask us things for your project. It is a little rude.

P.S. Not all of us are ladies or women. Don't assume.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

XOL
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 19:14 2016

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby XOL » Sun Dec 18, 21:11 2016

Nachos wrote:Hi there XOL, welcome to the spacefem forums! Now, if you had read the FAQ's you would have noticed that we don't really do Homework help.

Homework help

We are tired of new members joining our forum just to post up a survey or ask questions for a paper you're writing about how feminists are. If you want to join our community, reply to some threads, be one of us and still have questions or want us to help you with a project, that might be okay. Please join for a week and get 8-12 posts under your belt before asking us for something. Also, the forum does have a search box that works quite well.


See, this is a forum made up of like-minded and also non like-minded individuals. Feminism is not our job, just an ideal that we all (ok, not all the people here) share and we have found this little happy place to talk and discuss these things. We do not get paid to be here and we all have individual lives. We are not here to answer your or anyone's questions. We have no one spokesperson.

So, thanks for dropping by and you are indeed welcome to join our community, but don't just barge in and ask us things for your project. It is a little rude.

P.S. Not all of us are ladies or women. Don't assume.


Hey there,

I really don't understand the hostility. I was trying to be polite as possible and honestly I thought the proposition would create some interest because this is something that would be talked about in a college classroom. What would be the harm in posting a thread where people can simply choose to participate or not participate? You're acting like I knocked on your door while you were eating dinner.

And I don't know, maybe I would have stayed on the forum afterwards if you had just indulged me with some conversation that I found intriguing. Not likely now I guess. Maybe you should be a little bit more gregarious and inviting towards outsiders that are curious?

You honestly just sound like you're looking for a fight. This is why Louis CK uses this type of stuff for his comedy.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9434
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby rowan » Mon Dec 19, 10:33 2016

Well IDK maybe it's because you want us to do your homework instead of being actually interested in feminism? I mean you say you poked around but literally we have a Media forum where we've talked about this stuff already. It's not my job to "indulge you" christ that sounds pretty entitled to my time. Do you know how many fucking people show up not being interested in being part of the community just rather troll us and/or just come in to "ask some questions" for their homework assignments? So many that it's in the FAQ!

Seriously though, there was literally a question on just this sometime this year (from an actual member). I'm sure you can find it.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
Eravial
member
member
Posts: 4085
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 13:09 2003
Location: Outdoors, or wishing I was

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby Eravial » Mon Dec 19, 15:21 2016

XOL, since you came here to enrich your education, let's take a moment to unpack what's happened in this thread.

XOL wrote:I really don't understand the hostility. I was trying to be polite as possible and honestly I thought the proposition would create some interest because this is something that would be talked about in a college classroom. What would be the harm in posting a thread where people can simply choose to participate or not participate? You're acting like I knocked on your door while you were eating dinner.

And I don't know, maybe I would have stayed on the forum afterwards if you had just indulged me with some conversation that I found intriguing. Not likely now I guess. Maybe you should be a little bit more gregarious and inviting towards outsiders that are curious?

You honestly just sound like you're looking for a fight. This is why Louis CK uses this type of stuff for his comedy.


Nachos was not hostile, and in fact welcomed you to the Spacefem community TWICE in their post, even after you explicitly stated that you had no desire to join the community once we met your needs. Nachos did, however, point out that your request was going against our established community values. If you wanted our participation in the discussion you wished to have, you would have to agree to the community standards like every other member.

It's clear you were not being targeted for exclusion, so why did you perceive this as hostility? It seems from your response to Nachos that you believe we should have given you special treatment by enthusiastically catering to your request for our input. Further, you go on to criticize our community standards because they don't serve your needs and tell us how we should have responded to you.

Maybe this isn't completely analogous to barging in on a family dinner table, but can you imagine how this might be similar to, say, a book club that meets at a public coffee shop? How do you think you would be received if you showed up not having done the reading, not knowing anything about the types of conversation that take place, asking us to talk about a book you have to write a paper on for class? In that situation, it'd be rather accommodating of us to give you the notes from our previous discussion of that book and offer to talk about it again with you if you wanted to join in on some of the other discussions first, right? Wouldn't it be rude of you to complain that weren't making you feel welcome enough? Do you understand why this is entitled behavior?

Now, if you are still not interested in participating as a member, thanks for stopping by, and good luck with the project. Quora might be a better place to ask your question. If you're open to sharing, discussing, and challenging your own views and assumptions, feel free to stick around.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 5032
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby Sonic# » Tue Dec 20, 12:34 2016

I read on your profile that you're a professor of literature, what authors do you enjoy? I'm a big Cormac McCarthy fan. I also really like Kurt Vonnegut.


I like both of them! I have more reservations about Cormac McCarthy which would take too long to explore here, but I certainly think he's a great author.

I like too much stuff. Let me free-associate a bit, going through the centuries:
I like Shakespeare but prefer Chaucer, perhaps because I prefer poetry to drama.
Mary Sidney Herbert over her brother, though they're both brilliant.
I think Samuel Richardson is the best eighteenth-century novelist and Jane Austen takes it to another level.
Emily Dickinson is my favorite American poet; Adrienne Rich and Sylvia Plath get honorable mentions. I'd find a place to put T.S. Eliot if I knew where to put him.
Nella Larsen would be the 20th century author I'd most like to teach, especially Passing though [i]Quicksand[i] would be good too.
In classic sci-fi my soft spot remains Isaac Asimov; I'd pick Ursula K. LeGuin over Margaret Atwood but I like both.
Patricia McKillip's always a treat to read. She's my favorite poetic-type writer in prose today (she does fantasy).
I prefer Octavia Butler to Cormac McCarthy, and I'd have to think about why I put them on the same scale.
I wish Iain Banks had written more Culture novels. I've never disliked a book he's written, and I feel like he died just as his books were getting even more interesting.

User avatar
melsbells
member
member
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 6:45 2014
Location: Finland

Re: I'm a guy with some questions for the ladies!

Postby melsbells » Tue Dec 20, 14:10 2016

Sonic# wrote:Nella Larsen would be the 20th century author I'd most like to teach, especially Passing
[/quote] Can we talk about Passing sometime? I have some old hangups about that novel, but it might be more about about a paper on it passing as a book about passing.

XOL, I don't mean to hijack your introduction thread. What attracted you to journalism?


Return to “New Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest