Giselle from Enchanted [costume]

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

DWH

Giselle from Enchanted [costume]

Postby DWH » Sun Oct 24, 23:24 2010

Yeah, so I meant to get these pictures posted a while back, but I am a lazy bum, apparently.

When I decided I was going to New York Comic Con, I decided I had to make Giselle's curtain dress from Enchanted, since if I was going to be within spitting distance of Central Park, it would make for some pretty epic pictures. And I am a sucker for epic pictures.

I hand-painted the floral pattern on the fabric myself, and that project ate me for several days. I used a regency-era costume pattern to make the skirts (there are three- the innermost skirt is pink, with a sheer white skirt layered over it, and a lined overskirt, split up the middle in the front). The bodice I patterned myself, since the bodice that came with the dress pattern was all wrong and the sleeves were gigantic. The sleeves here are actually a total hack- I was running out of time and energy, so there was some excess material I cut off the train that was already painted... and that became my sleeves. I call it resourcefulness, even though they're not as accurate as they could be. I can fix them later. :P The trim on the skirt is pink piping stitched to eyelet trim, and then stitched into the skirt- all of which was done on the plane, on the way over to New York. Same for the trim on the bodice, actually- I pleated and pinned the ribbon by hand, stitched it in place on the lace trim, and then stitched it into the bodice.

The wig is mostly not my handiwork. I pinned the ribbons and flowers in place, but other than that... I handed a photo of Giselle to a wig shop in Hollywood, and the next week I picked up a completely accurate, totally awesome wig. It was really expensive, but so much better than anything I could have done on my own with a cheaper wig.

This is easily my most labor-intensive costume to date, and it was worth all of it. It's so much fun to wear, and I'm wearing it to every Halloween thing I can this year. Oh yeah, and Hot Indian Coworker had nothing but good things to say about how I looked in the costume. :D

Public album on Facebook- has other costume pictures in it, too, but the Giselle set is pretty obvious and easy to find.
:canada: :america:
I AM 1/3 OF THE JEDI KUNG-FU FIGHTING 1337 NINJA ASSASSIN TRIO!
:pirateflag: Fiddler of the SNSDW
Evil Lightsaber-Wielding Sith Lord Ewok of DOOM!!

vex wrote:I'd totally single white female your life.

newlydiscovered

Re: Giselle from Enchanted [costume]

Postby newlydiscovered » Sun Oct 24, 23:55 2010

That is so amazing. I love the last picture of you there, you look gorgeous! I don't actually know who Giselle is so I googled pictures and it seriously looks like you stole her dress!
:pirateflag: Daughter of the fiercest pirate captain in high space, and pirate wench of the SNSDW

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:Newly is Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-appled whore of Eroticon 6!

helium

Postby helium » Mon Oct 25, 0:15 2010

That is awesome DWH! I can't believe you hand-painted all those flowers!
Nameless bodies, in unremembered rooms
Know how a man becomes a beast when the wolfbane blooms

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"

DruidX

Postby DruidX » Mon Oct 25, 5:08 2010

I was thinking, that would make an awesome wedding dress. :)

monk

Postby monk » Mon Oct 25, 10:14 2010

very pretty. are you sure the digital animation thing is your path? I think you could probably score a decent gig as a professional costumer
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Return to “Mixed Media”