what are you reading?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Taurwen

Re: what are you reading?

Postby Taurwen » Thu Jan 19, 7:40 2017

My partner and I are reading Lamb (the gospel according to Biff Christ's childhood friend) to the baby. So that's pretty much all I'm reading right now

Murtlap

Postby Murtlap » Fri Jan 20, 6:11 2017

just finished the Devil in the White city, next book is Harry Potter and Cursed Child

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sun Jan 22, 15:18 2017

Going on a Jasper Fforde binge. Just reread Over Easy and the Fourth Bear, now back to the Dragonslayer series. Love this stuff.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Bork

Postby Bork » Fri Jan 27, 22:59 2017

The Gene, by Siddhartha Mukherjee. Not too far in, but crazy amazing so far. Next up is his book about cancer!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Jan 28, 8:36 2017

I'm reading the short stories in Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others. One of the stories was the basis for the film Arrival.

I've liked most of the stories, including "Stories of Your Life." With most of his stories he does a great job with taking a science-fictional concept and some characters and putting them together in a great way. Linguistics ("SoYL") and math ("Division by Zero") lead in their own ways to meditating on love and family. On the other hand, I utterly loathed "Understand," a short story about a superhuman formed from a medical treatment.

The first two stories seemed to have only men. (There was maybe one woman who spoke.) The later stories have gotten better about representing more diverse situations.

Galen

Postby Galen » Sun Jan 29, 8:38 2017

On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's by Greg O'Brien. Okay, technically I haven't started reading it yet. But my mom-type wants me to read it before she gives it to her friend so there it is, sitting on the coffee table, staring at me in an accusing way while it taps its watch.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Thu Feb 2, 12:26 2017

I'm now reading Wintersmith; I have plenty of Pratchett that needs reading :)
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Feb 2, 15:00 2017

I'm reading Testosterone Rex:Myths of Sex, Science, and Society by Cordelia Fine. I'm a third of the way through the book, and so far it seems like a solid, clearly written explanation of why many myths presenting gender/sex as biological destiny break down. Summarily, testosterone is not destiny, or even the prime guide of behavior many people assume it to be. Her target with this argument is most of us, including feminists who argued after the financial crash that Wall Street needed more estrogen and less testosterone in the board room. While Fine might agree that there should be more women in board rooms, she disagrees with conflating board room behavior and hormones. This book marshals tons of scientific studies, events, and anecdotes towards dethroning king hormones.

For example, the first chapter provided a lot of explanation for where the belief in their scientific validity would have come from, going back in the first chapter to Angus John Bateman, a scientist who studied fruit fly promiscuity. He'd claimed that male fruit flies show more variance in how many sexual partners they get, contributing to a general myth (a "Testosterone Rex") that males tend to be sexually competitive (she uses the term "promiscuous") and females tend to control sexual access. It turns out so many species don't mate like fruit flies. Furthermore, in returning to this study 60 years later, it turns out that female fruit flies were often promiscuous too, a result missed because of the lack of DNA testing and the lack of people in the room who would've thought of that.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Feb 6, 12:34 2017

After going on a bit of a Jasper Fforde binge, I'm now reading something new, Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Feb 8, 10:36 2017

I just got The Girl from Everywhere and I'm super excited! Haven't quite gotten to crack it open yet, but tonight I will!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

felipefs

Postby felipefs » Sun Feb 12, 15:58 2017

I'm reading a couple of things.

Today I started "Why Feminism?" by Lynne Segal. It's quite an old book (1999), but maybe it's a start point for me.

I'm in the middle of the first chapter, and so far she explained differences of feminism during its different generations (70s to 90s), and some political contexts. Makes me wonder if there's some good source about the 2000s and 2010s generations (if there's a distinction). I imagine there is... thanks to a thing called internet.

Recommendations about the subject are welcome :]

"Dialectical Materialism" by Alexander Spirkin. It's about philosophy, science and art.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Mar 13, 17:30 2017

Currently reading Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper. It's a bit of a wild ride with time travel and magic and fairy tales but really really good so far.

Nech

Postby Nech » Mon Mar 13, 21:09 2017

I just started reading The Muslimah Who Fell to Earth By Saima Hussain after seeing a discussion panel by some of the collected authors and the editor. I heard of it before, but it wasn't until I saw the discussion the book really caught my eye. I'm not far enough into the book to really say much based on it directly; if it's anything like the panel it will be a mix of old tropes, systemic oppression, and free choice.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Mar 15, 15:13 2017

Ohh I did read and finish Girl from Everywhere and its sequel Ship Beyond Time. Good books!

Also read Binti: Home, and I liked it better than the first one. Also recommend!

My plan to read "authors I follow on Twitter" is going all right! Next up: NK Jemisin's Broken Earth series.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Mar 16, 17:02 2017

I finished Testosterone Rex. Great book!

I'm reading The Only Woman in the Room: Why Science Is Still a Boys' Club by Eileen Pollack. The first half (which I'm still in) is a memoir reflecting on Pollack's early educational experiences, which culminated in her being one of the first two women to earn a bachelor of science degree in physics from Yale, only to leave science entirely to become a creative writer. Why did she do this? That's the big question, and her adept writing so far has revealed how difficult it was to even get pursue science in the first place, and how many ways she had been made to feel insecure of herself in that pursuit. The second half of the book promises to engage with many other examples: "six years of interviewing dozens of teachers and students and reviewing studies on gender bias," the back cover promises. I'll let you know how that goes, but I'd recommend it for the first half of the book alone.

Return to “Mixed Media”