what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Enigma

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Postby Enigma » Mon Feb 22, 21:35 2016

Just saw Matt Shepard is a Friend of Mine. Very powerful, make sure you have Kleenexes handy. :5houses:
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Feb 23, 7:11 2016

Enigma wrote:Just saw Matt Shepard is a Friend of Mine. Very powerful, make sure you have Kleenexes handy. :5houses:

I never saw it, but I did see the play The Laramie Project.

I imagine yours is just as hard to watch.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Feb 23, 7:43 2016

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:
Enigma wrote:Just saw Matt Shepard is a Friend of Mine. Very powerful, make sure you have Kleenexes handy. :5houses:

I never saw it, but I did see the play The Laramie Project.

I imagine yours is just as hard to watch.

Yeah I saw a production of the Laramie project years ago, very powerful. The thing that's so heart breaking about the one I just watched is that it's a documentary put together by his friends discussing who he was and it makes you see how he really could have been anyone you know. It was very humanising and was less about the tragedy and more about the life lost.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Feb 26, 7:39 2016

The Witch - Way too much of a slow burn and yet somehow not enough time was spent with the family's descent into paranoia. While well acted, I couldn't always understand the Puritan-style dialogue (by which I mean I literally didn't hear what they said). The music was less unnerving and more irritating. It put me in such a mood that the any intrigue, mystery, or creep factor the movie was to build was lost. :2houses:.5 because it is still very well acted.

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Fri Feb 26, 11:42 2016

Deadpool. Laughed a couple times but didn't care for it overall.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Roxygirl40

Postby Roxygirl40 » Sat Feb 27, 18:29 2016

The last movie i saw was Star Wars The Force Awakens :3houses:

Roxygirl40

Postby Roxygirl40 » Sat Feb 27, 18:31 2016

The last movie i saw was Star Wars The Force Awakens :3houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Mar 2, 12:58 2016

Eddie the Eagle - fun movie that essentially celebrates having the heart of a champion even if you don't have the ability of one. Hugh Jackman plays Hugh Jackman & I really buy Taran Edgerton as Eddie, who is never overshadowed buy Hugh. :3houses:

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Mar 3, 7:44 2016

Just saw me, Earl, and the dying girl and actually really loved it. One of the closer things I've seen to reflecting the world I remember in high school and was really sweet and honest.

:5houses:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Mar 3, 8:16 2016

I saw Bedazzled, the 1967 version. A shy cook in love with a waitress sells his soul to the devil in return for some wishes. Overall, I was amused. :3houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Mar 3, 21:13 2016

Zootopia - incredibly creative & well thought out Buddy movie with a bit of conspiracy and an overarching theme of overcoming prejudice, whether it comes from the outside or from within. The animation is incredibly fast and detailed without being slapsticky or going for the lowest common denominator. The message isn't preachy, and for a movie meant for everyone, there are some tough scenes to watch (relatively speaking) :4houses:.25

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sun Mar 6, 10:44 2016

I saw a movie at the Berlinale called Indignation based on the Philip Roth novel of the same name. It was very good. It's also been picked up so will come out for a general release next year or so. I highly recommend watching it. Especially if you have a Jewish background :)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Mar 12, 12:52 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane - not a true sequel, but spiritual successor to Cloverfield (which I have not seen). This was is a claustrophobic thriller in which you wonder if it really is the end of the world or if the guy telling you this is just nuts. Too many unnecessary jump scares and a rather shoved in ending to tangentially connect the original. John Goodman is great as the "is he crazy/is he not" temperamental doomsday prepper and one easily gets invested in Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. :3houses:.75

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Tue Mar 15, 23:49 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane as well. I didn't notice a lot of jump scares, but I agree with the ending. Wasn't a fan, but I might warm up to it after watching it again. The movie did an amazing job of building tension, but, regardless of the clues throughout the movie, the ending shit all over it. There was just too much contrast and it wasn't as interesting. Watching the final act was like, "All right. I guess I'm watching a different movie now." Still, everyone, especially John Goodman, was great in this.

This movie is just shy of :4houses: for me, would be a solid 4 if not for the ending.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Aum

Postby Aum » Wed Mar 16, 9:33 2016

A recently made movie called "Spotlight", about the expose that the Boston Globe did which blew the Church molestation scandal wide open globally. It was probably the single most important piece of journalistic activism in the past 30-40 years or so, I had no idea how much of an impact it had.

The movie itself was well done. For some reason the cast ensemble made me think of Law and Order, so the movie had that kind of feel, except the version where they do investigative journalism instead. I give 5/5 stars (which I rarely do for anything).
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Fri Mar 18, 16:27 2016

Daddy's home. It made me tear up for ten minutes straight.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Mar 19, 4:20 2016

The Intern - I bought both Robert De Niro & Anne Hathaway's characters. However, while the comedy was decent, the plot took one of the characters in a way really tarnished their strength. :2houses:.25

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Mar 26, 14:24 2016

Batman v Superman -Bloated & confused movie too interested in setting up Justice League instead of focusing on a couole of intriguing ideas & plot points. Batfleck was good. Godot & Irons seemed decent for the short time they were in the movie. :2houses:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Mar 26, 17:00 2016

Babe - I got my partner to see it, since she hadn't as a kid. I hadn't seen it in years. I forgot how subversive it was regarding the industrialization of consuming meat. Some genius moments now, like grandparents getting a fax machine to keep up with the times and "send letters." That said, still a lighthearted film involving a pig who becomes a sheepdog. :4houses:

Star Trek: First Contact - caught all of it on TV. Still my favorite TNG film. First and last film to take account of how scary the Borg are. B-plot involves seeing inspirational epoch-changer before he had greatness thrust upon him. Oh. It does fall into the genius inventor archetype, doesn't it? Still :4houses:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sat Mar 26, 18:24 2016

My sister just rewatched all of High School Musical with her friends and I watched bits with her. It's got really good choreography.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Sat Mar 26, 21:40 2016

My significant other always assured me that Harry Potter was too dorky for her. However she is now hooked and we are on the last movie! Yay

Love Star Trek first contact.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Apr 6, 4:35 2016

Eye in the Sky :3houses:.85

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Wed Apr 6, 19:29 2016

bad education, 6.9 out of 10
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Thu Apr 7, 8:59 2016

Embrace of the Serpent 9/10

First Colombian film to be nominated for the best foreign language film Oscar. It is a truly stunning black and white film that looks at colonization of indigenous people in the Amazon in the early-mid 1900s and the devastation and brutality wrought by the rubber industry. It's based on the real journals of two explorers who befriended a shaman (the central character) there forty years apart and centers on each's quest for an extremely rare hallucinogenic/healing plant. It's all subtitled and moves at a slowish pace, which fits the nature of the main character.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Thu Apr 7, 15:38 2016

Batman V Superman. Not a good movie. I enjoyed it for the most part by purely running on a Batman geek high, but the direction was laughably bad, the script often didn't make sense, and it still suffered from many issues I had with Man of Steel (muted pallet, muted characters, etc). I got 3.5 enjoyment out of it, but I think it's objectively a 2.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Return to “Mixed Media”