what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Nerd1987

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Postby Nerd1987 » Sat Nov 14, 0:41 2015

I just saw "The Gift" and it was super deep. But I'm all for finding your own control in life so it goes against that since the guy's whole life got derailed by one incident. It was still an awesome movie.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Nov 29, 19:40 2015

The Good Dinosaur: :3houses:
Creed: :4houses:.5

Aum

Postby Aum » Mon Nov 30, 1:55 2015

I saw Mocking Jay part 2 tonight. It was epic!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Nov 30, 12:58 2015

Aum wrote:I saw Mocking Jay part 2 tonight. It was epic!

I heard it was girly....

Kidding. I did hear that, but after I saw it. I'd give it :4houses:

Aum

Postby Aum » Mon Nov 30, 18:08 2015

^ I don't know if you'd call it girly or not but I found it violent and bombarding. All of them were violent but the last one was like... holy crap, can you pause for 5 minutes so I can catch my breath?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Dec 1, 6:14 2015

Aum wrote:^ I don't know if you'd call it girly or not but I found it violent and bombarding. All of them were violent but the last one was like... holy crap, can you pause for 5 minutes so I can catch my breath?

The only argument the person haf who said it was 'girly' was the audiences for these were mostly women.

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Dec 1, 12:31 2015

^hah that's kind of funny

Finally saw The Martian. It was ok, I thought. Maybe 3.5 :house: /5 :house:
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Dec 20, 13:55 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens :4houses:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sun Dec 20, 14:13 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens as well. Definitely :5houses: .

I also saw Seeking a Friend for the End of the World with Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley. It's a romantic comedy-drama with many of the same problems other films of its ilk have - a large age difference between the two leads, sometimes awkward dialogue, stuff like that. What made it worthwhile for me:
Both Knightley and Carrell do well with what they're given. Great performances by them and other cast members.
It's an end-of-the-world film, which is a fun backdrop. We know the ending at the start, but we don't know how it will end.
Spoiler:
I think something interesting is happening with the relationship in this film. Either because of the time constraints or because of the writing more generally, Carrell and Knightley's characters feel a lot like intimate, romantic friends. They sleep together, but they don't feel like lovers to me, not in the traditional Hollywood sense. And this intrigues me because I don't think there are ready labels for this kind of relationship in our culture.
:3houses:

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Tue Dec 22, 1:14 2015

Star Wars, too. Somewhere around an 8 or 9 out of 10. I was expecting a 7 or so.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Tue Dec 22, 10:09 2015

Battle Royale - I give it 4/5 just because I didn't like the ending so much. I'd heard lots of comparisons to the Hunger Games (of which I've seen only the first movie but read all the books) and there are plenty of similarities, but I think the tone of the film was quite different. It was much...um...funnier than Hunger Games (if you can call teenagers being forced to kill each other off funny.. :screwy: )

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Dec 22, 16:35 2015

I just saw The Room and it was soo good. Pretty intense but definitely worthwhile.

Oh my god battle royale. I saw that movie years ago and found it horrifying. Mind you I felt that way about the first hunger games too. I am not ok with watching kids kill each other apparently.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Tue Dec 22, 16:48 2015

I LOVE THE ROOM!! My husband's Christmas gift this year is The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero (who plays Mark in the movie).

Rainbow Dolphins

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Dec 22, 17:10 2015

I love both battle royale and the room. Beat Takeshi is my hero. I also met Tommy Wiseau once and he is crazy.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Dec 23, 7:49 2015

antfancier wrote:I LOVE THE ROOM!! My husband's Christmas gift this year is The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero (who plays Mark in the movie).

Ah apparently I have no idea what I saw. I actually saw Room (2015). (I was like there was a character named mark??) On imdb there are like 4 recent movies with variations on that title. lol I have not seen any of the other room variations. The one I saw is the one based on a popular book about a woman who is kidnapped and her child born in captivity and the world she creates for him in their single room.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Wed Dec 23, 10:19 2015

Enigma wrote:I just saw The Room and it was soo good. Pretty intense but definitely worthwhile.

Oh, I thought the 'pretty intense' comment was sarcasm.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:I also met Tommy Wiseau once and he is crazy.

I can only imagine! I feel jealous, although if I ever met him I'd probably be creeped out and not know how to react.

rowan

Postby rowan » Thu Dec 24, 11:39 2015

see and I thought you meant this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830361/ but then I remembered it was a mini-series not a movie, and also apparently it has "lost" in the title
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Jan 3, 19:17 2016

Hateful 8 - :3houses:.75

AndrewZealand

Postby AndrewZealand » Tue Jan 5, 21:07 2016

I saw (the new) Point Break. Firstly, it's only very loosely based on the 1991 film. The two male leads are still named Bohdi and Johnny Utah, but other than that it's a very different story. I have to admit that the new Bohdi (played by Venezuelan actor Edgar Ramirez) and his gang are very interesting villains. This new Point Break is a lot more "international" than the first film. There's quite a bit of travelling. There are a LOT of far fetched scenes that don't really help the film and I can't offer much praise to the acting or the script. It's more the concepts that I think are good. Bohdi was played by Patrick Swayze in the 1991 film and while he had a spiritual side, the new Bohdi has a far more developed spirituality. There is a far more spiritual element to the new Point Break and it does actually help make it unique. Patrick Swayze's Bohdi was definitely a character that many watchers would sympathize with, but I feel that perhaps even more would have sympathy for Edgar Ramirez's Bohdi, the way he spiritually explains and justifies his actions. Without saying too much, Ramirez's Bohdi goes to greater extremes than Patrick Swayze's did.

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Tue Jan 5, 22:36 2016

Force Awakens! Twice. 4.5/5
:heart: and :spacefem:

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Fri Jan 15, 1:42 2016

I've seen Star Wars three times.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Jan 15, 7:29 2016

Cancussion :2houses:.5

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Jan 15, 9:11 2016

I saw Spectre recently with my in-laws. As a James Bond film it was well-done and I was pleased in particular by the performance of Léa Seydoux as Madeleine Swann. Still, it's hardly a feminist film: the plot proceeded to follow several Bond motifs that turn the victimization of women into plot motivation. If you can't stand other Bond films, this one will be little better.

:3houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Jan 16, 18:23 2016

Revenant: :3houses:
Big Short: :3houses:.5

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Sun Jan 17, 9:28 2016

I watched a pretty bad movie called Jenny's Wedding. It's about a woman (Katherine Heigl) coming out to her family as gay and the run-up to her wedding (to another woman). It was really much more about her parents, and it was fine I guess but Netflix called it a comedy and it wasn't funny, BUT it had this one weirdly specific redeeming quality for me: It was set in and obviously filmed in my city. So I had fun spotting all the places I knew, including downtown from various angles, the art museum, the fire station one suburb over, the hotel where the wedding was, and, best of all, the grocery store literally down the street from my house.

Return to “Mixed Media”