what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Nachos

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Postby Nachos » Thu Jun 16, 5:30 2016

Rewatched The Lion King two days ago. Still one of my favourites. Was interesting watching the movie again after I've seen the musical.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Fri Jun 17, 14:36 2016

I saw Finding Dory last night, which was opening night. It was really cute and good and everything I've come to expect from Disney/Pixar! There were at least a dozen truly laugh out loud moments. I don't know if it quite lives up to Finding Nemo, but it was very enjoyable and I'd recommend it. :4houses:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Sunnygirl

Postby Sunnygirl » Sat Jul 2, 12:27 2016

Zootopia. I thought it was overrated, but after watching it I really understand the hype now. It's a powerful film that uses metaphors to get big messages across to the audience. It was not only funny, well-animated, and well-written, but it also very touching :5houses:
"We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back." -Malala Yousafzai

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat Jul 2, 14:53 2016

I saw Desert Flower. I was really impressed and had more of an emotional connection than I have had to the facts of female genital mutilation before. I really liked that it wasn't heavy handed with the presentation, but also didn't make light of the seriousness of the events in Waris Dirie's life. It reminded me of Boys Don't Cry in that way. The movie definitely took liberties with the story, some of which I didn't understand the purpose of the change. I give it :4houses: because it took me by surprise to start thinking about fgm in a way that encourages me to do more than I have in the past.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Jul 5, 6:32 2016

The BFG - Decent, but as one critic said the best of ET with the worst of hook. :3houses:

Nech

Postby Nech » Tue Jul 5, 13:12 2016

Think the last I saw was the Warcraft movie. It was...meh. Even as someone who knows the lore well going into it, it felt rushed. Should of been split up into two movies and given more depth to it. They should of had faith in their product and not just rushed out the first movie.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Tue Jul 5, 20:51 2016

Independence Day Resurgence. Pretty funny.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Jul 11, 6:54 2016

Secret Life of Pets - Nothing groundbreaking, pretty much Toy Story but with pets. One poop joke (shown in the trailer). Still a pretty fun movie. 6.7

Swiss Army Man - Weird. Way too many gas expulsion jokes. Paul Dano was good. It was interesting seeing Radcliffe play to his strength as a lifeless corpse (take that as you will). 6.5/10

Legend of Tarzan - One of the few times I want to see a true origin story despite seeing it several times. .Not enough swinging on vines. I certainly believe the relationship between Tarzan & Jane. Jane does end up damsel in distress, but not for a lack of trying. She definitely takes every opportunity to attempt escape. That along w/ the presence of Samuel L. Jackson raises it to a 6/10.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Tue Jul 12, 4:01 2016

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Fri Jul 15, 4:42 2016

Ah, I haven't watched anything good lately. I think I'll watch A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night tomorrow. It's supposed to be good.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Jul 21, 8:36 2016

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Jul 22, 8:10 2016

Ghostbusters! Loved it! :5houses:

As an aside I did actually watch the original a few years ago and was pretty squicked out by how creepy/gross Venkman was. THAT ruins childhood memories. Ew.

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Sat Jul 23, 0:00 2016

:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sun Jul 24, 7:55 2016

Star Trek: Beyond. I enjoyed it despite its being another one of those films where I didn't really like the first trailer. I think it's the most thoughtful of the new Trek films. :4houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Jul 31, 13:05 2016

^Agreed on Star Trek

Bad Moms - Really fun comedy & the chemistry among Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, & Katherine Hahn was great. :4houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat Aug 6, 22:13 2016

Nerve - Fun movie starring Dave Franco & Emma Roberts who have really good chemistry, but the movie itself gets rather ridiculous during the climax. :3houses:

Suicide Squad - Similar issues that plague BvS, but good chemistry plus Margo Robie & Will Smith carry the movie. Leto's Joker dosen't work for me, but that has more to do with the execution rather than interpretation. Really flawed but fun :3houses: (boost because Jai Courtney was actually pretty good in this)

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Sun Aug 7, 10:52 2016

I saw Ghostbusters on opening night with a bunch of other feminists! It was super fun and really entertaining. Kate McKinnon's character is pretty much my hero, and I loved the portrayal of woman scientists (and some of the issues in academia...). :4houses: only because, while this is a good action comedy, I'm not that into the action comedy genre.
Dizzy with possibility

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Tue Aug 9, 11:23 2016

Team America: World Police; somehow I hadn't seen it before but when I saw the DVD on sale for 50p I thought I'd give it a go... it was worth every penny :4houses:
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Aug 21, 18:14 2016

Kubo and the Two Strings - great stop motion animation that's visually creative and has a great story to go with it. Laika could be the next Ghibli. 9/10

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Thu Aug 25, 11:28 2016

This afternoon I watched Inside Out for the first time; absolutely loved it :5houses:

I was a bit surprised when I went I went to the IMDb message boards for the film and spotted a familiar avatar... it belonged to the person who posted before me in this thread!
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Aug 25, 16:16 2016

I saw Knights of Badassdom.

It's - intentionally - a bad horror film involving LARPing that gets a little too live action. Good cast. It's got very funny moments. I couldn't really get over the exclusive eroticization of female characters like that played by Summer Glau. Maybe it's because I'm worn thin on plots about guys trying to get over exes and finding new awesome girlfriends along the way. (For reference, my partner loves it in the same way she loves Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus, and she wasn't bothered by the same thing.) :2houses:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed Aug 31, 10:09 2016

I saw Carol last night at an open air cinema.

#1. Open air cinema's are fantastic! Bring your own drinks and snacks and stuff and it was lovely :)
#2. Carol is such a good movie. Two fantastic actresses and so much is said with looks and they're both unapologetic for who they are. Fantastic.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Wed Aug 31, 11:43 2016

Yesterday I watched Silver Streak again; after the sad news about Gene Wilder I wanted to watch my favourite film of his again.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Thu Sep 1, 9:41 2016

Troll 2, immediately followed by the documentary about the film, "Best Worst Movie." Both were highly worth not getting to bed til 5am.

Troll 2 is a terrible film, but in the most sincere and entertaining way. Unsure how to rate that.
Dizzy with possibility

iamthegate

Postby iamthegate » Sat Sep 3, 1:09 2016

Charlie and the chocolate factory. Because Gene Wilder.

Return to “Mixed Media”