what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Gnarlbanya

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Postby Gnarlbanya » Fri Apr 8, 3:26 2016

^ I'm with you on Batman vs Superman. I didn't really want to see it, but it was what happened to be running when I had time to kill. I kind of enjoyed it, but thought the script was all over the place and the ending was just a mess. Still, I quite liked some of the batman stuff.

However, aside from Wonder Woman and the Holly Hunter character, the women in the film were either victims, or incidental. There are a bunch of female characters who seem to exist purely to answer telephones and convey information to their male bosses. Also, Lois was just awful, her character was really pathetic, which is a shame as I thought there was some decent potential to make her a bit more complex.

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Fri Apr 8, 4:12 2016

Eravial wrote:Embrace of the Serpent 9/10

First Colombian film to be nominated for the best foreign language film Oscar. It is a truly stunning black and white film that looks at colonization of indigenous people in the Amazon in the early-mid 1900s and the devastation and brutality wrought by the rubber industry. It's based on the real journals of two explorers who befriended a shaman (the central character) there forty years apart and centers on each's quest for an extremely rare hallucinogenic/healing plant. It's all subtitled and moves at a slowish pace, which fits the nature of the main character.

i have to check this out now :star:
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Tue Apr 12, 11:02 2016

Just saw The Lobster (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3464902/) and High-Rise (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462335/) at the Fantasy Film Festival on Saturday. Both fantastically odd films :) To be recommended if you like odd films :)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Mon Apr 18, 2:53 2016

Nachos wrote:Just saw The Lobster (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3464902/) and High-Rise (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462335/) at the Fantasy Film Festival on Saturday. Both fantastically odd films :) To be recommended if you like odd films :)

oo I want to see The Lobster now!
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Tue Apr 19, 14:30 2016

Hateful 8. :4houses: despite being my second least favorite Tarantino film.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Mon Apr 25, 12:35 2016

Purple Rain. I liked and was puzzled by that movie. It was compelling but also wacky at times.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon May 2, 13:04 2016

Keanu :3houses:. Not all the jokes landed but I wasn't rolling my eyes at them (looking at you Ted 2). If you like Key & Peele and you want to see the "cutest kitten ever", I recommend it.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu May 5, 20:19 2016

Captain America: Civil War - Just go see it. Go see it now! :4houses:.5

Bork

Postby Bork » Thu May 5, 23:33 2016

CAP 3 FOR REAL GO SEE IT NOW
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri May 6, 9:10 2016

Is Kamala in it?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri May 6, 20:57 2016

rowan wrote:Is Kamala in it?

I don't know who that is. T'Challa is in it though.

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Sat May 7, 9:47 2016

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Captain America: Civil War - Just go see it. Go see it now! :4houses:.5

My boyfriend made plans to see it without me! I can't really blame him because he's going with his mom for mother's day, but .... nah, actually I totally still blame him. Should've gone to the advanced screening at my university after all!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat May 7, 14:13 2016

I didn't see Kamala, rowan. (Kamala is the current Ms. Marvel, Apollo.)

I really liked Captain America 3. It's entertaining. And, for a Hollywood movie, it does pretty well writing-wise.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sat May 7, 14:53 2016

Sonic# wrote:I didn't see Kamala, rowan. (Kamala is the current Ms. Marvel, Apollo.)

I really liked Captain America 3. It's entertaining. And, for a Hollywood movie, it does pretty well writing-wise.

Ah. I knew Ms. Marvel was Muslim or Arab or something now. Just didn't know her name (but that's just par for the course for us men). That said, have they even announced which Marvel it will be in the MCU? TBH, I'd be surprised if it weren't Danvers. Then again, they may need some good will for whitewashing of The Ancient One in Doctor Strange.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon May 9, 13:49 2016

Captain America Civil War was better than I anticipated, possibly because of the similarities it shared with the last movie I saw in theaters, Batman V Superman. I don't really want to rate it until I see it again.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

blackAnn

Postby blackAnn » Sun May 15, 4:21 2016

I saw Play Misty for Me.
:bulldozer: :0houses:

My friend's grandma's comment put me in a bad mood during the film: "Ick. I don't like black music." but I won't review grandma and I'll try to ignore that and focus on the film. Here's the good things I have to say about it: It eventually ended on it's own.

Now for everything else about the film. Non-stop black stereotypes, Non-stop female stereotypes, a token gay guy that appears and disappears as soon as they run out of gay stereotypes. Everything else I have to say about it is a spoiler. I don't care about spoiling the movie, but only look if you have a strong stomach.

Play Misty for Me is pretty much a horror movie. The main character is trying to live his life "normally" and patch things up with his girlfriend who rightfully dumped him for sleeping with everything he can, but then a monster attacks him and ruins his life and he has to fight to survive. It's even got that old horror movie trope where the monster comes back to life one last time. So what's the monster? It's a woman! OOOOOOO... Spooky!

So this guy has sex with a stranger and is totally clueless when he doesn't want to be around her because he's so in love with someone else that he keeps cheating on. Confused about his actions? You might be a horror movie monster too! The films goes on with him doing just about everything he can to push her into a mental breakdown and then shrugging to the audience when she can't take it any more and acts human.

She finally has a total breakdown and becomes totally movie-level-insane and starts attacking people with a knife. She manage to cut a bunch of people, but none of them get really hurt except her when the woman is "saved" by our "hero" and the "monster" is killed with a single punch, for witch there is no legal action taken.

The low point of the film was when she tried to talk to him in a restaurant and it ended with him physically pushing her out and forcing her into a cab as she screamed and cried "no" and the driver asked the guy where he would like the woman delivered and drives away with her, presumably far away to a place where he can charge her for the unwanted trip.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon May 16, 13:19 2016

Money Monster :2houses:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon May 16, 15:35 2016

I saw Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. I give it :3 houses:. Solid Star Trek film. Uhura has a couple of excellent moments in this film, like
talking back at a young Starfleet member who is pining for adventure and not realizing that she is about to help Kirk and the others escape the starbase with the Enterprise

On Play Misty for Me:

Personally, I'd describe the scenes of the film differently. The film is hella problematic partly because of how it justifies Dave's actions in its depiction of Evelyn. She fits the archetype of the obsessed woman - showing up uninvited, calling all the time, interrupting business meetings, and so on. [It reminds me of Fatal Attraction.] I'd have to watch it again, but I didn't get the impression that Dave was cheating on Evelyn, any more than someone would be cheating on someone else after a one night stand. Dave's culpability is far more prosaic, following the double standard that allows him to play around.

Dave's behavior - at first dismissive and then increasingly frustrated at Evelyn's advances - certainly exacerbates Evelyn's condition, but the film makes it clear from the start that she's obsessed with him. That's why I find it troubling. It's not that Dave makes her into a monster, but that the writers themselves make her into one. Like the madwoman in the attic in Jane Eyre, it tries to draw sympathy for Dave through the creation of a monster who is never fully developed herself. Meanwhile, his behavior is deeply flawed.

Evelyn is indefensible the way she is written. That's part of the issue. She does hurt people. She kills that police detective and kidnaps Tobie, Dave's girlfriend, near the end. She stalks Dave.

blackAnn

Postby blackAnn » Tue May 17, 7:51 2016

Sonic# wrote:On Play Misty for Me:

Personally, I'd describe the scenes of the film differently. The film is hella problematic partly because of how it justifies Dave's actions in its depiction of Evelyn. She fits the archetype of the obsessed woman - showing up uninvited, calling all the time, interrupting business meetings, and so on. [It reminds me of Fatal Attraction.] I'd have to watch it again, but I didn't get the impression that Dave was cheating on Evelyn, any more than someone would be cheating on someone else after a one night stand. Dave's culpability is far more prosaic, following the double standard that allows him to play around.

Dave's behavior - at first dismissive and then increasingly frustrated at Evelyn's advances - certainly exacerbates Evelyn's condition, but the film makes it clear from the start that she's obsessed with him. That's why I find it troubling. It's not that Dave makes her into a monster, but that the writers themselves make her into one. Like the madwoman in the attic in Jane Eyre, it tries to draw sympathy for Dave through the creation of a monster who is never fully developed herself. Meanwhile, his behavior is deeply flawed.

Evelyn is indefensible the way she is written. That's part of the issue. She does hurt people. She kills that police detective and kidnaps Tobie, Dave's girlfriend, near the end. She stalks Dave.

I'm just picturing someone stumbling on this message and not knowing how spoilers work and being really confused...

I don't see how you can say she's indefensible. I can't see anything she did wrong other than act a little eccentric and have a breakdown when put under huge amounts of stress. Surely you don't mean to say that the things she does are her fault alone, right? I'm sure under the right conditions anyone could be broken and brainwashed into committing far worse crimes.

I don't think Dave did cheat on Evelyn either, but he never bothered to tell her that. It's like he didn't care about her at all. I see this as an unintentional Frankenstein story where Dave makes a monster and suffers for it. On the other hand the "monster" is tormented without justification. Actually that makes it sound kind of interesting (and sad), but the film never bothers to make these points or bring anything out. He doesn't learn anything and there's a sigh of relief when she dies. Happy-ending-roll-credits? No. Bad-film-boil-blood!

I picture the writer had a rightfully bad experience with a "pump and dump" and that gave him an idea for a horror film because he lacks an understanding of basic human emotions and assumes that only a "crazy" person could be bothered by something like that.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Tue May 17, 20:37 2016

I saw Captain America Civil War again and I'd give it a bit above :4houses:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed May 25, 4:56 2016

The Witch, very good! Though some parts are only explained in the interviews which is odd. :4houses:
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue May 31, 13:54 2016

The Nice Guys - Fun little excuse to just sit back & enjoy the wiild ride that was 1970s LA. No lol moments, but fun nonetheless - :3houses:.5

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue May 31, 14:22 2016

I watched Mad Max: Fury Road. :4houses:. It may be my favorite Mad Max film.

whateverls15

Postby whateverls15 » Tue Jun 7, 20:08 2016

Batman, the dark knight return lol

nobody watch it here

BTW, anyone get any https://www.youtube.com/ can upload movie online ?

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Thu Jun 9, 3:21 2016

Last night I watched the Jackie Chan film Little Big Soldier on DVD; I'd give it :4houses:

Click here for my IMDb review of the film.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Return to “Mixed Media”