what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

uptownquirrells

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Postby uptownquirrells » Wed Sep 28, 12:18 2016

I saw Bridget Jones's Baby last week. It was exactly what you would expect, an entertaining but kind of offensive rom-com.
:2houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Sep 29, 5:12 2016

I'd give the Magnificent 7 remake & Storks both a :3houses:. Really fun average movies. Liked Storks better.

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Thu Sep 29, 10:02 2016

Don't Think Twice. So dark, but so good, with some very funny bits. Which is pretty much what you might expect when Ira Glass produces the human condition in the context of improv comedy.
:5houses:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Oct 7, 6:18 2016

Queen of Katwe - Movie about Phiona Mutesi, a chess prodigy from a slum in Uganda. The portrayals were very good & the movie engaging. :4houses:

Neko

Postby Neko » Thu Oct 13, 6:36 2016

Shin Godzilla was awesome. Toho + Hideaki Anno (of Evangelion) = WIN
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Sun Oct 16, 11:29 2016

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home... silly but fun,
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

filmmakingally

Postby filmmakingally » Sun Oct 16, 23:16 2016

Tweek wrote:Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home... silly but fun,

That's my favorite Trek movie!

Last thing I saw was The Birth of a Nation (the new one, not the KKK one). I didn't want to support it financially, because of the rape accusation, so I bought a ticket to a different movie and snuck in, haha.

Overally, it's pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. I was hoping it'd be more of an allegory for racist discriminations that exist today, but I didn't see much of that. It's also worth noting that this is a very difficult and painful movie to watch, and that's comparing it to other movies about the American slave trade. That's neither a criticism or appraisal, but just an honest statement about how many times I really wanted to turn my eyes away from the screen because it made my heart ache so badly.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Oct 17, 6:04 2016

Resaw the recent Ghostbusters. Still really like it. It had a few extended scenes, which fit in well enough that I didn't notice a couple of them being new until it was pointed out.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sun Oct 23, 15:56 2016

I saw Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children :3houses: Because they butchered the book slightly. However the cinematography was excellent!

And Bridget Jones Baby :4houses: Because it was just like the other two and as amusing and yet good and I really liked that. Though Colin Firth now looks oooold!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

curlybae

Postby curlybae » Sun Oct 30, 20:55 2016

Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox. Watched it with my son yesterday.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Nov 4, 5:56 2016

Doctor Strange: :4houses:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Nov 14, 3:11 2016

Finding Dory. :5houses:
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Nov 21, 6:44 2016

Arrival: :4houses:.
Fantastic Beasts: :3houses:
Edge of 17: :4houses:.9

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Mon Nov 21, 20:15 2016

I went to see Doctor Strange. Cool sfx, watching Bandicoot Candygram speak with an American accent, and Chiwetel Ejiolfor doing sorta-Jedi things are the pluses. Tilda herself was good, but the controversy surrounding the Nepalese setting was warranted, and the movie is a little dude-heavy which I judge harshly these days. I'd give it about :3houses: to 3.5 houses.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Nov 22, 20:44 2016

Moana - I didn't like this as much as Zootopia, but I still really enjoyed this. I know there were some concerns about the presence of Maui but I don't feel he was unwarranted. Moana is who Belle & Ariel should have been. An explorer, an adventurer. There is no romance which is refreshing. The songs are pretty good and while both Dwayne Johnson's & newcomer Auliʻi Cravalho's voices sound a bit unrefined at times, it's beautiful when they find their notes. My only nitpick would be there's a point it seems to forget it's a musical, but that is balanced with some nice lampshading of the Disney Princess formula. :4houses:

filmmakingally

Postby filmmakingally » Wed Nov 23, 2:22 2016

Sonic# wrote:Snowpiercer. Class warfare on a train. Postapocalyptic. Good effects and effective design. Great acting. Feels a bit odd in a magical realist way, but in no way actually involves magical realism. Spoiler to explain:
Just the implausibility of the whole setup, including the very notion of a train surviving the apocalypse and a forever-machine. It's intriguingly implausible - it's fascinating.

:4houses:

Snowpiercer is a wonderful movie. Just my two cents -- I think symbolism is far more important to this movie than plausibility, and I don't think that statement requires any spoiler alerts. :D

But this does --
What did you think of the ending? Me and my friends cannot agree. I think it's hopeful, a friend thinks it's pessimistic, and the third who saw it with us was uncommitted. Your thoughts?

Last movie I saw was Arrival, before that, Doctor Strange. I highly recommend both. Prediction -- Arrival will win the Oscar for Best Picture. I can't believe Hollywood made a big-budget SFX-driven blockbuster, and the hero is a linguist. Haha, that's cool as shit.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 25, 11:37 2016

Arrival was amazing! :5houses:

Totally digging the linguist hero angle, even if it does get a bit magical sciencey in places. Best first contact movie I've seen.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Nov 26, 20:36 2016

Dr. Strange was pretty good. Would've watched an entire film with Dr. Palmer. Cumberbatch was channeling Dr. House and I'm not sure about the depiction of Nepal, but otherwise I enjoyed it. :4houses:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them felt pretty predictable. I still had fun. The main character is pretty cute and bumbling, and I appreciated the social awkwardness. :3houses:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Dec 18, 17:51 2016

Rogue one - Better story than TFA but characters less interesting. :3houses: 5

La La Land - really good musical with some good comedy and appropriate drama. :4houses:.75

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Dec 24, 20:39 2016

Rogue One was perhaps my favorite movie this year. I really enjoyed it, and had no issue with the characters. :5houses:

Some of it was undoubtedly TIE Fighter nostalgia - the action scenes were worth it alone. But even so, I felt connected to the characters.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Sun Dec 25, 13:01 2016

I watched Frozen when it was on TV this afternoon as I hadn't seen it before... I really enjoyed it :5houses:
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Mon Dec 26, 10:27 2016

I saw Rogue One yesterday. I enjoyed it but didn't love it, I liked The Force Awakens better. I did think the music was very well done though, hinting at the major Star Wars themes but not using them fully until toward the end of the movie.

Aum

Postby Aum » Mon Dec 26, 16:48 2016

Bad Moms

THE WORST MOVIE IN HISTORY PLEASE DON'T EVER WATCH IT!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Neko

Postby Neko » Wed Dec 28, 13:42 2016

Just got back from watching Rogue One and I enjoyed it. It was a bit more emotional with the loss of Carrie Fisher. I drowned myself in the popcorn bucket after the last scene.

And OF COURSE Alan Tudyk was K-2SO, that precious scamp.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Nech

Postby Nech » Thu Dec 29, 9:42 2016

Neko wrote:And OF COURSE Alan Tudyk was K-2SO, that precious scamp.

I'm so upset I didn't notice that while watching the movie. It all made so much sense when I found out though.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Return to “Mixed Media”