what's the last movie you saw?

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Storage and Disposal

Re: what's the last movie you saw?

Postby Storage and Disposal » Wed Aug 26, 11:57 2015

Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Aug 26, 19:56 2015

Holy shit I just finally saw birdman. That was an amazing movie. :5houses: / :5houses:
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Wed Aug 26, 21:29 2015

^I do like that movie. Meticulously shot!

Also love Batman, though I watched it as an adult and it's actually not all that great without nostalgia glasses on.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Mon Sep 7, 16:46 2015

I saw Lost Angels: Skid Row Is My Home (2010) on netflix.

highly recommend it! it's a very good look at what happens when we shift resources from mental institutions to prisons, tell homeless people that it's illegal for them to exist, and hire police chiefs who are more concerned with the broken window theory than actually helping people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory) - basically they run around hassling people who "look bad" rather than going after real criminals, it's just awful.

so watch this documentary. it's a commentary on what's wrong with america right now. I give it :5houses:

Lab Rat wrote:Just rented Wreck-it Ralph. It was a really good movie. :)

yes it is! one of my kiddos favorites - maybe because there's a world of candy? but it's cute. and I love the soundtrack.

the ending was stupid, like dammit why did they have to suddenly make her a princess? oh every girl has to be a princess, gotta have that option? but if you forgive those two minutes, it's wonderful.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Sep 10, 11:55 2015

I recently re-watched Jurassic World, Mad Max Fury Road (blu-ray), and Inside Out

JW is fun but terrible.

Inside Out I feel, like many others, was a return to form for Pixar. And yes, I accidentally rubbed my eyes with jalapeño residue a few times...

I didn't like MMFR because of it's feminist propaganda. Kidding. I didn't enjoy it as much on my first viewing because, strange as it may sound for an action movie, I didn't get it. I understood the story and events but couldn't wrap my head around it. I think part of it was hype. I watched it again with new expectations and it was a lot better. The best way to describe it is that it' so well told visually, you almost don't need what dialogue. Probably the best action movie I've seen in a long time.

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Thu Sep 10, 13:34 2015

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote: I watched it again with new expectations and it was a lot better. The best way to describe it is that it' so well told visually, you almost don't need what dialogue. Probably the best action movie I've seen in a long time.

I totally agree--that movie was a master class in "show, don't tell." I'm not sure I've ever seen dialogue used so economically and effectively in any movie, action or not.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Fri Sep 11, 14:45 2015

Trainwreck. It was cute, I liked it :)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Fri Sep 11, 18:37 2015

I watched the jonestown documentary on netflix, about the jim jones massacre. it was horribly sad and fucked up. hope those zealots are in a special place in hell for killing all those people.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Mon Sep 14, 0:48 2015

Straight outta Compton. It made me realize why suge knight ran over the guy affiliated with the movie.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Sep 23, 10:54 2015

Black Mass - Return to form for Johnny Depp. Slow in a good way.

iamthegate

Postby iamthegate » Wed Sep 23, 13:00 2015

Star Trek Into Darkness. I loved it! And Benedict Cumberbatch... *puddlefies*

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Oct 2, 5:34 2015

Hotel Transylvania 2 - If you're ever in the mood for something dumb & silly that won't make you wish your kids hadn't dragged you to it, this isn't a bad choicd. Fast paced & well-exaggerated animation. It's definitely more for the kids, but the right adult can enjoy it (or at least get through it). It does have sort of a mixed message which bothered me a bit. Overall, :2houses: 1/2
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Tue Oct 13, 13:46 2015, edited 1 time in total.

ablotial

Postby ablotial » Fri Oct 2, 13:18 2015

Just finished watching The Virgin Suicides on Netflix. I read the book a while back and did not like it ... I liked the movie more (not a common occurrence for me!) but I still wasn't really a fan. I know a lot of people love it, but I don't see the appeal.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Oct 5, 4:42 2015

Sicario - Good drama, but nothing that new in story. Nice to see a strongly written female character who is in a man's world but can't automatically beat a man. Not that I advocate violence against women or that they need saving, but not all women are tough as nails physically and I like that such a role has been presented. :3houses:

The Martian - Surpringly light with Matt Damon's character finding humor in his situation. This would be a full :5houses: but I'm docking a full house for making me question how sound their science was with a single line. Official rating :4houses:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Oct 5, 12:48 2015

INSIDE OUT FINALLY CAME OUT IN THE CINEMA HERE!
I enjoyed it, though we had a large discussion about it after because of inconsistencies/problematic roles/body shapes for sadness/FEELINGS!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Oct 13, 13:44 2015

Love & Mercy - :3houses: 1/2

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Mon Nov 2, 12:41 2015

While away on my holiday I went to the cinema for the first time since the '90s... I watched Spectre on the opening night; it was pretty awesome :D
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Nov 3, 7:38 2015

Rewatched Cinderella (2015) - I thought it was well acted, but I was bothered by a few issues that had been raised. The small waist controversy notwithstanding (which I found to be a bit too reactionary), I'll just say there were some things I think could have been changed about certain characters, including Cinderella herself. I understand what they were going for, but I found her to be quite the doormat compared to even the 1950 Disney version. The CGI, though obvious, was really fun. There are a couple of slightly different turns in this version as well. I'd givr it :3houses:

Pixels - So much potential wasted on yet another Happy Madison production in which Adam Sandler plays the same goofy down-on-his -luck loser who gets the girl, only repackaged in 80's nostalgia gaming plus alien invasion. Tired jokes, wasted talent, and nonsensical. It's only redeeming quality is it's still not nearly as bas as his worst movies. For that, :1house:
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Fri Nov 13, 6:08 2015, edited 1 time in total.

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Tue Nov 3, 9:35 2015

I watched Is The Man Who Is Tall Happy? On Netflix. It's a Michel Gondry animated conversation with Noam Chomsky. Since I like both of them, I thought it would be good to watch and it was. Although I wish I had split it up into two parts as it was a lot to take in at one time. Over all, it was a nice introduction to Chomsky's work and I especially liked hearing about his childhood, which I knew nothing about.

Also on Netflix, A Trip To The Moon, the first science fiction film made in 1902. It's short and entertaining and has 'Sailorettes' dressed in very short shorts who help the scientists launch the rocket. I had no idea people would have showed so much leg back then, even on stage, so that was interesting to see.

Aum

Postby Aum » Wed Nov 4, 3:51 2015

I saw the latest Avengers. Meh.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Wed Nov 4, 7:35 2015

I saw Ender's Game. Overall was an enjoyable experience. My spouse was more bothered by inconsistencies from the book than I was, but we both agreed that
the ending felt very truncated and Ender's gestures controlling the "battle simulator" were hilarious.

Maro

Postby Maro » Wed Nov 4, 9:11 2015

Aum wrote:I saw the latest Avengers. Meh.

Was this the Age of Ultron or the Ant Man?

I watched the Age of Ultron last week and I found it quite good - compared to the Winter Soldier anyway. It was more entertaining to watch and I did like the concept of Ultron a lot. Probably I would give it :3houses:

Last night I watched Dirty Harry for (1971) - it was the first Dirty Harry film that I have watched and despite issues with feminism, racism, the use of the word fatso

(E.g.
Liquor Store Owner: [noticing Scorpio's battered face] What the hell happened to you?
The Killer: My wife's brother. I hit her, so he hit me... several times.
They both chuckle like school boys)

It was a classic....

Aum

Postby Aum » Wed Nov 4, 16:26 2015

It was Ultron.

I liked the concept of Ultron but they totally neutered him by introducing Vision. At that point Ultron ceased to be a threat and the danger seemed less urgent. They spent the first half of the movie really building up the big bad, and the sense of doom was palpable. Then Vision comes along and it's like, oh... this guy can pick up Thor's hammer and is now officially one of the strongest beings in the known universe. How is Ultron even a problem? It just deflated the whole thing.

Also, if you compare Loki to Ultron, Loki is a way better villain. There's more psychological intrigue, more background for his jealousy, for his rage. He caused chaos on all of earth to distract the Avengers from his true mission. Ultron just levitated one town as the focal point. Why didn't he send his crazy robots all over the world to scatter the Avengers? There was talk of him hacking nuclear missles, but that never happened. No... instead, he had to unleash the complicated plan of creating a meteor to smash back into earth. Seems complicated, when you could just unleash all the nukes!

The movie suffered from the same problem as the others in that they are trying to give air time to too many characters and side stories, the result being that they all got watered down. The Scarlet Witch had her own mini series in the Comics and she herself is capable of destroying the world, but in the movie she was kind of a foot note. At least her brother got casted by a nice looking chap :)

The whole segue into Hawkeye's home was pretty pointless. They needed a hideout, but why? None of them were severely injured. The whole thing where Captain America and Iron Man are chopping wood is just so... ugh. It had no reason for being. I guess they were trying to humanize Hawkeye but because they were trying to cram so much into this movie, it didn't really expound upon a lot.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Gnarlbanya

Postby Gnarlbanya » Fri Nov 6, 19:52 2015

I just saw Age of Ultron, too, and agree completely with Aum. It felt like the film was about 30-40 minutes too long and a whole lot of stuff didn't really need to be shown. I remember enjoying The Winter Soldier a lot more, although my recollection of it is pretty sketchy - I'm finding that all of the avengers-related films are beginning to blend into one.

I also just saw Big Hero Six, and thought it was great. It is in illustrious company with Up, Despicable Me and Wreck-It Ralph being a kids film that made me cry. Funny that I can watch the most miserably depressing grown-up film without shedding a tear, but there's something about the way kids films handle emotional content so sweetly that gets me every time.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Nov 13, 6:07 2015

Spectre: :3houses:

The Peanuts Movie :3houses:.5. :4houses: if you're a fan

Return to “Mixed Media”