Stardew Valley

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Sonic#

Stardew Valley

Postby Sonic# » Sat Mar 19, 10:32 2016

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been playing a farming simulator on my PC. I've been loving it. This is part review, part ode, and part "hey, does anyone else want to gush about this game?"

Some readers may wrinkle their nose at "farming simulator," but the term doesn't do the game justice. If you've played Harvest Moon, you'll recognize the pattern. You play an office worker who is dissatisfied with city life and comes to a remote village to inherit her grandfather's farm. The village is full of people to befriend and woo. The game is full of items to find, money to earn, and (if you're dedicated enough) ways to rebuild the village and make it better.

To inherit her grandfather's farm
Players can choose to be either a boy or a girl, and can choose from a great number of skin tones, hair styles, and clothes. I because a girl named Mavwyn.* Then I got to name my farm (Beorn) and my favorite thing (... sex; it hasn't come up yet). After being introduced to the farm and the mayor, you have a large area of ground to clear and begin planting crops in. In-game minutes pass in real-time seconds, and at least a few hours of every in-game day will likely be spent tending to one's crops and (later) animals and clearing more land. For me it's a calming ritual that also satisfies the planning itch satisfied by games like SimCity: how will I use this land? How will I arrange my crops? Where will I build this chicken/duck coop? Where *did* Worf the chicken get to?

Full of people to befriend and woo
The village has a number of interesting people. Many of them form important roles - Pierre runs the general store, and Robin builds buildings for you. Others form a part of village life. Each villager has a heart meter that can be built up over time. Almost all of them can be befriended by regularly talking to them and giving them gifts they like - some crops, picked flowers, clay, and stuff like that. As friends, they will send you recipes you can use to cook food and share more about their lives. They may dance with you during festivals.

Five boys and five girls can be wooed and eventually married, irrespective of your character's gender. Each of them falls into a distinct type: the preppy folk are easy to notice, as are the nerds (they have glasses), the gothish ones (they're pale with dark hair), the modest ones (lighter hair, pretty typical attitudes) and the artists (they have long hair). The characters aren't only their stereotypes - in romance writing style, each of them has a lot of details and backstory, and have so far come to feel like distinct characters. I've had fun getting to know even those I don't plan to marry.

Elliott the writer. I find his face hilarious.
Leah the sculptor

The cast could be more diverse, but at least there are some efforts at representing people who aren't white. Demetrius the scientist is Robin's husband, and their daughter Maru is one of the wooable characters.
ImageImageImage

The game is full of items to find
If farming isn't enough, there's a lot more to do. Over the course of a week I fish, collect berries and nuts on the ground, mine, and fight monsters! Like with the farming, these tasks encourage a kind of rhythm. People inclined towards planning, collecting, or exploring will love it. People who want to get directly to the action may not. I love the first time I found a sea cucumber or an octopus.

These items can be sold. Some can be donated to the museum. It's worthwhile to collect at least one of every item because villagers will sometimes ask for them in "quests" that net some money and affection. Also, early in the story you unlock the ability to repair the decaying village center through a series of quests where you give cute little faery things sets of four items. This is the closest to a main storyline that I have found in the game, and it's been made clear that if I fail to do this, at some point the large Wal-Mart-like conglomerate will expand further into the town. No!

Anyway, I've written plenty about this game now, and I can share my own screenshots later. It's available through GoG or Steam if you're interested in seeing more. I *think* I've seen Neko playing it. I'm still in my first year of farming, so I'd love to talk about the experience.

Bork

Re: Stardew Valley

Postby Bork » Sat Mar 19, 20:41 2016

This sounds so cool!! How social of a game is it? Like, do I have to have friends who play, or is it more solitary?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sun Mar 20, 7:26 2016

It's entirely a single player game. I think there are plans to add multiplayer, but right now I play it alone or while voice chatting with others playing their own version.

monk

Postby monk » Sun Mar 20, 11:31 2016

I twitch a bunch and several of the streamers I follow play this. It's interesting and looks great if you're into this type of game (I'm not).

What I am going to add (as I will to all game review threads) is my reccomendation to play The Witness. I wont review it because the less you know the more fun it is to play. I will say that's it's probably the most beautiful looking game I've ever played IMO.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Neko

Postby Neko » Mon Mar 21, 3:13 2016

I love this game.

Harvest Moon on SNES was one of my favorites but none of the other games in the HM series ever hooked me. Stardew feels like a true successor.

Something cool about character creation: Regardless of the gender you choose, you have access to all the hairstyles and clothing. You aren't limited to one set. And, like Sonic mentioned, you can court and marry NPCs of the same gender. This is done mostly by giving villagers their favorite gifts. My guy has long hair and he's trying to woo Fabio Elliot. Basically, I'm throwing lobsters at him every week until he realizes that I'm the love of his life. Because that's how relationships work.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Neko

Postby Neko » Wed Oct 5, 11:07 2016

The game has been updated to v1.1 and quite a bit was added.

Unfortunately, your pre-existing farm(s) can't take advantage of the new farm types. You have to make a new character to pick from those options. But I might do that anyway because now you can marry Emily. And I want to marry Emily!

Also, void eggs from void chickens are no longer useless. I was saving them up for the weirdos who like them as gifts but now I can turn them into void mayonnaise.

Misandry_Reborn

Postby Misandry_Reborn » Sat Oct 8, 7:02 2016

Neko wrote:Also, void eggs from void chickens are no longer useless. I was saving them up for the weirdos who like them as gifts but now I can turn them into void mayonnaise.

What, mayonnaise is cooking oil and cream whipped together with some vinegar. What does chicken eggs have to do with it?
Give me a world and I will give you the stick.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Oct 8, 11:55 2016

Mayo is most often made with egg yolk ...

I played a few days in-game and made void mayo. It seems fun! I might start over next break, but I'm really waiting for multiplayer.

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Sat Oct 8, 21:52 2016

I think this game is supposed to be relaxing but I get stressed the fuck out by games with time countdowns. Projecting myself onto someone who is not stressed the fuck out by such things, this game is pretty awesome.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Neko

Postby Neko » Mon Oct 10, 9:52 2016

^ I feel you there. Even though the penalty for passing out isn't terribly steep, I internally freak out a little when the clock text turns red while I'm still ass-deep in the mines.

Completely unrelated, though, a little secret (unless you've looked at a wiki):
Put a Dinosaur Egg artifact in your coop incubator and you'll get what looks like a little stegosaurus. It leaves eggs and/or you can sell it.

It's not new with the update. But still neat!

Return to “Mixed Media”