piano music

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

rowan

piano music

Postby rowan » Wed Jun 1, 11:35 2016

Anyone have any rec's for piano music compilations I should get for my kiddo for her birthday? I was thinking something jazz, something classical... but I don't really know what artists to look for or anything, or if there are good mix CDs.

Someone has discovered Interests, but I need help finding something to introduce her to it.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

octarineoboe

Re: piano music

Postby octarineoboe » Thu Jun 2, 19:31 2016

My first thought was this tape we used to have called Hi-Ho Mozart, which takes Disney songs and puts them in the style of various composers. When I looked it up on Amazon I realized it isn't all piano. But a couple are piano, so you could download those individually - or get the whole thing and maybe she'll broaden her Interests?

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Mon Jun 6, 22:32 2016

That sounds cool!

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Tue Jun 7, 5:01 2016

One of my favorite piano arrangements is Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgky. The 10 movements are based on Viktor Hartmann's watercolors shown at an exhibition after he died. Many of the pictures still exhist and I like the connection between a musical interpretation of an image. Maybe your kid would be into that.

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Jun 8, 11:19 2016

I bet she would :) she loves painting to so that's a great cross over
she doesn't know a lot of Disney so I don't know about that one

I got her some sheet music of two songs she likes from the game piano tiles, but I'd still love some recs for pianists for cds
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Thu Jun 9, 14:18 2016

My performer recommendations are old because I don't keep up with anything anymore. Emanual Ax has incredible technical skill. I remember feeling that he didn't breath enough and also finding my breathlessness thrilling. The 5 Browns are siblings who play arrangements for multiple pianos. Their pieces push the boundaries for classical music more than Ax. I feel like I should have lots of jazz piano recommendations, but they escape me (sorry).

Nech

Postby Nech » Thu Jun 9, 15:17 2016

For a classical flavour, a favourite of mine is Andre Gagnon. I find his work displays emotions or themes really well, so it's something she can really grow into as she explores it more as a possible passion (obviously subjective, not sure if it fits what you're looking for). For instance Snow in Kamouraska, Elegy (does have non-piano parts), or a favourite of mine Nelligan. Not sure how hard sheet music or CDs of his are to find outside of Canada though.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Jun 10, 17:45 2016

I like Yann Tiersen? If you've seen Amelie you've heard him. https://youtu.be/omhHQ2mVWXU He's kind of melancholy though which may not be that kid friendly.

I love this thread! I never think to search out piano but they're all good.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Return to “Mixed Media”