More on Moana

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Unvoiced_Apollo

More on Moana

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Wed Nov 30, 6:03 2016

So I do highly recommend Moana even though the Disney formula is still there. They even make fun of it in a couple of scenes.

But they frame things differently than in past movies. In most that are in similar style, the father is overprotective because she's a girl and/or must be married off. Here, there is no romance and he's protective of her because she's the next in line. It's framed as people needing a leader and as such she must live so that they have guidance once the role is passed on to her. And we actually see her embracing her role, which is where her conflict comes in.

She hears this calling to voyage but she knows she has a responsibility as a leader (future or otherwise). We even see her making decisions on what to do when the crops are decaying & fish disappearing. The only reason she ends up finally voyaging is it is the only way to fix what has been done and ensure her people's survival. So her dream finally meshes with her responsibility as leader.

And what needs to be fixed? She must return the heart of the goddess Te Fiti, which Maui stole and is causing the decay. Moana retrieves Maui not because she needs his protection but because he must atone for his actions. There's the usual conflict, but no romance (be kinda creepy anyway as she's 16 & he's 1000+ years). And Maui has some depth to him as well and the movie explains exactly why he stole the heart.

Finally, I like that Moana is allowed to be real. Her design is probably the must realistic of all the "princesses". While some western sensibilities likely present (and I just didn't notice), she's well built to the point of even having cankles. She is inexperienced at sailing and knows it and struggles with that limitation. She's allowed to have messy, sandy, and/or wet hair. And as mentioned before she struggles between her responsibility which I think she embraces with what she knows is a truer calling.

Yes, I know the Disney Princess formula is tired & Disney should be more varied in their female protagonists. Hoever, for a movie falling in the genre, I think they got a lot right.

Meperidine

Re: More on Moana

Postby Meperidine » Wed Nov 30, 20:54 2016

Just saw it, thought it was great on all counts: characters, VAs, animation, music. :5houses:

I noticed they had five specialized animators for water and six for hair, looks about right.
:heart: and :spacefem:

Neko

Postby Neko » Thu Dec 8, 19:17 2016

Alan Tudyk is best chicken.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Dec 11, 11:02 2016

Neko wrote:

Alan Tudyk is best chicken.

I love his joking lament about going to Juilliard.

Alan Tudyk is becoming the John Ratzenburger for WDAS.

Return to “Mixed Media”