Immersive theatre

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Nachos

Immersive theatre

Postby Nachos » Tue Mar 28, 12:04 2017

Darlings! I have just been part of an amazing experience. I was part of a team for an immersive performance installation.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... nav_search

It was beautiful. It was ugly. It was intense. It was relaxing. It was philosophical and it provided a unique insight in the human psyche.

The premise was that we were a cult under the leadership of a charismatic leader we called Papa who taught us lessons in quite a sadistic way and we were inviting guests into our world to find more members.

It was interesting to see how people reacted to our little world and who let themselves let go and become part of it or closed themselves off.

Now that it's over I'm having a few issues becoming myself again and not Upsilon (my character). Being a performer in an immersive theater world means integrating parts of yourself to your character to give an authentic performance. And now that it's over I miss my Family and Home and not having real life responsibilities and always having someone there. It was quite seductive in that way.

Review:
http://alsojournal.com/people/interview ... ning-home/

Does anyone else have experience with immersive theatre or been to any?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

melsbells

Re: Immersive theatre

Postby melsbells » Mon Apr 3, 12:30 2017

This sounds really intriguing. I've heard of some immersive performances before, but I haven't experienced them in any way. I would fear that it would be quite difficult to be an audience member as well given the immersive and intense nature.

In the ALSO article, although it really making me want to experience that performance, my impressions of the historical context are quite different.
"I think most people (myself included, until I started looking in to it more) are electrified at the myth rather than the reality of most historical examples of commune living, and certainly of the Manson girls,” says Porath. “There is something uniquely romanticised about 1960s and 70s communes, and the fusion of sex, drugs, spirituality and an overarching sense of incredible intimacy which sidesteps all the emotional, physical and sexual violence that especially the women in these communities were frequently exposed to. I think the yearning for a home where enlightened and authentic living is possible is alive and well, as is the willingness to turn a blind eye to certain aspects of the significantly darker reality."
Cult situations that are harmful to it's members seems to be the way I have primarily seen communes portrayed. So while still interesting from a psychological standpoint, I don't really see this as a counter to some commune myth. If anything, the myth seems to me that communes no longer exist, that they can't be functional, long standing, and healthy.

Best of luck coming fully into yourself again, Nachos.

Return to “Mixed Media”