"Thor: Ragnarok" and "The Last Jedi Trailers"

Creativity, DIY, reviews, art, gaming and entertainment

Moderators: Neko, Rainbow Dolphins

Unvoiced_Apollo

"Thor: Ragnarok" and "The Last Jedi Trailers"

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Apr 16, 3:54 2017

Thor Ragnarok

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU[/youtube]

Loved they got Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song to accompany the trailer. My favorite scene was Hela (Cate Blanchett) catching the hammer and just smirking. Goddamn if Cate Blanchett isn't just eating up the role and oozing presence and malice. Also, major female villainous. Unfortunate we have to wait a another year for a female hero, but still.

I wasn't that excited for this one, now after seeing this i just want to give them all my money and my nonexistent kid's college fund.

Star Wars the Last Jedi
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsg0fku78o[/youtube]

This one was underwhelming for me, but to be honest, I'm not complaining. They know everyone and their mother is going to go see it, so I liked that they opted to keep the spoilers down and the mystery up. I definitely want to know who the movie is calling the "last jedi". Is it Luke? Is it Rey? My theory is that Luke was technically deemed a Jedi by the end of the first trilogy, but his experiences have made him realize the Jedi is a self destructive order. He'll train Rey, but in ways no Jedi true to the order could think. This is actually kind of hinted at in Star Wars: Rebels, with the appearance of a force-wielding creature called Bendu (whether that is its name or its own tradition it follows remains to be seen), who adheres neither to the light or dark side.

Sonic#

Re: "Thor: Ragnarok" and "The Last Jedi Trailers"

Postby Sonic# » Sun Apr 16, 6:26 2017

Why can't Jedi be plural? It's one of those ambiguous nouns: 5 Jedi walk into a bar. The last Jedi could be Luke, Rey, or someone else. That said, I suspect it's Luke, who is rather like a prophet who knows he can't fully disbelieve the old ways but wants to nudge Rey (now that she's found him) in a new direction. I think the speculation that
Luke has fallen to the dark side
is overwrought, but then again all we're doing is speculating.

For me it's less important who is the last Jedi and more important that (1) there's a need for the Jedi to move on, perhaps because (2) they fit far better into the world of the Old Republic than they do in this current world. Perhaps, at least in film canon, Luke realizes after his failed training of Ben/Kylo that the Jedi fuel the Sith in a kind of symbiosis, and that the light side can either change its methods or transcend the binary and become more balanced in its approach. I don't know to what degree the shift is political (be less about training groups and rebuilding a council v. being an ascetic) and to what degree it's philosophical (we need to change the way we think about the force).

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Sun Apr 16, 8:59 2017

I really liked The Last Jedi teaser. I mean it's a teaser, so it's supposed to tease. I'm glad there wasn't much to it. It's one of the very few trailers that got me pumped for a movie. Most of the movies I plan on seeing look only ok at best based on the trailers, but this one looks like it could be amazing.

Something about Ragnarok's look has made me cautious, but still optimistic. It just doesn't look as good as it could be to me.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Aum

Postby Aum » Sun Apr 16, 14:26 2017

I didn't like the Led Zeppelin score. They're just replicating what they did with Guardians of the Galaxy by using the old school music. Zeppelin is supposed to be counter-culture. The very industries that used to hate them are now casually using them in movie trailers? Screw that.

I've given up on the Marvel movies. The dialogue is just consistently awful. I was watching Aliens (Alien II) last night and thinking about how much effort they used to put into set design and script writing decades ago, and now it's all computer generated. They spend so much effort on visual effects when they should put a lot more time into the script itself. The actors spend weeks in the gym getting as buff and perfect looking as possible, only to say the most mundane shit on screen. The Aquaman trailer just made me want to vomit.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Sun Apr 16, 19:23 2017

Aum wrote:I didn't like the Led Zeppelin score. They're just replicating what they did with Guardians of the Galaxy by using the old school music. Zeppelin is supposed to be counter-culture. The very industries that used to hate them are now casually using them in movie trailers? Screw that.

Led Zeppelin hasn't been counter culture for years. Maybe back in the 70s, but not now. To paraphrase another comic book movie, bands either fade from counter culture or they live long enough to sell out. And I disagree that aside from using old school music, they're replicating what they did with Guardians of the Galaxy. The song choice in Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't clearly follow a theme. Immigrant song not only connects with the energy the trailer is trying to convey, but there is a clear theme in the lyrics that matches up with the content of the movie.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon Apr 17, 0:29 2017

I'm getting pretty tired of the classic rock trailers, to be honest, and I love classic rock. It's pretty excessive at this point.

I'm still entertained by a number of these comic book movies, but they aren't really that great overall. In each one, you have strands of narratives going every which way until it just kind of ends with a lead in to another movie. They feel like overly long episodes of a TV show more than films.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

Return to “Mixed Media”