If Women Wrote Men the Way Men Wrote Women

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Sonic#

If Women Wrote Men the Way Men Wrote Women

Postby Sonic# » Fri Dec 16, 8:29 2016

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/if- ... rite-women

The examples are obviously contrived, but I felt like I've read many of these writing cues before, whether they're a hint of bodily insecurity, unduly focusing on clothing, putting the character in an exploitative position, or so on.

Any examples here particularly hit home? Any others you got?

There is a particular look about a teenage boy that lets you know what kind of man he’ll be. A certain fullness of lips, a frank sensuality in his gaze. We all know what the word for that is, but it’s not polite to use it until he’s proven he’s that kind of boy.

melsbells

Re: If Women Wrote Men the Way Men Wrote Women

Postby melsbells » Sat Dec 17, 16:51 2016

Barbara found them twenty minutes later, wrapped around each other. Antoine looked up in horror.

“I’m so sorry! It didn’t mean anything!”

Barbara smirked, crossing her arms and taking in the scene. “Now, this is interesting. Don’t freak out, babe. It’s not like it’s really cheating, after all.

This is the one that gets me every time I come across it.

garbage videos

Postby garbage videos » Thu Dec 22, 10:22 2016

I don't get it. I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make.

What I got from it is, life sucks for both men and women. The story seemed very honest and an accurate depiction of the hell of being male and how life sucks for males.
I hate how society portrays being born male as being James bond and awesome, when it's anything but awesome.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Thu Dec 29, 16:12 2016

This is very interesting. The focus on the looks, or power position, or even sexual status of one gender compared to the other. You don't really notice that you have it internalised until it's pointed out to you.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Neko

Postby Neko » Fri Dec 30, 3:04 2016

All variations of: "She certainly wasn't beautiful but she was pretty."

That might not qualify because I've encountered the male version that uses "handsome" and some masculine description that's the same order of magnitude as "pretty." I guess it allows the reader to picture whatever they find to be attractive. It just seems lazy and unnecessary to me.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Nech

Postby Nech » Fri Dec 30, 8:28 2016

Finally got around to reading this, it's very neat. I find it interesting that when they're describing the physique of the guys, their terminology makes me think of very effeminate men despite the fact that they aren't necessarily stated as such. Anyone else find this or was it just my own internalised/ingrained thing?
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Return to “Feminism”