Why are men so ready to complain...

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

antfancier
member
member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Sep 3, 14:06 2015
Location: New England

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby antfancier » Tue Jan 31, 10:05 2017

Sonic# wrote:I've been in spaces (mainly stadiums) where their idea of a urinal was a trough with no dividers. That's the way my little league field did it. And perhaps my experience is colored by (as a kid) having an adult near there ask to see my penis, but having no enclosure isn't a safe idea.

If we're talking multi-unit unisex restrooms, as personal preference I'd want them all enclosed.


Yikes! I think I'd prefer it to be enclosed too, especially if it was a bathroom for kids and adults together. My primary school had the trough. It was essentially a unisex room, with sinks on both sides as you went in but the back part was divided by a wall and one side had stalls for girls while on the other was the trough and a couple of stalls for the boys. If we looked, we could see the a boy peeing, but not see his penis. We could hear them and I remember they had competitions about who could pee highest up the wall.

When I lived in Korea, many bathrooms were unisex (at least in the bars that frequented). I was perfectly fine with a guy peeing in the urinal next to me while I waited for the stall, but a cowroker of mine wasn't able to pee at all if anyone else was in the room. I don't know how he managed when he went into regular men's toilets.

Finally, I have a question for the guys. I've had a few different men say they don't like peeing when sitting down because it's uncomfortable. I'm just wondering why? I've never thought hard about the mechanics of it but maybe someone can enlighten me.

User avatar
Nech
member
member
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 13:50 2015
Location: Canada

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Nech » Tue Jan 31, 21:40 2017

antfancier wrote:Finally, I have a question for the guys. I've had a few different men say they don't like peeing when sitting down because it's uncomfortable. I'm just wondering why? I've never thought hard about the mechanics of it but maybe someone can enlighten me.


I can help with this one! :D

Sometimes sitting down (especially in public washrooms where cleanliness is questionable) is uncomfortable because the style of the toilet can mean the top of your head/shaft touches the underside of the bowl and/or the seat. I'm not sure if you've ever looked underneath an unclean one to see the gunk, but I know I don't want that on my penis. My partners probably don't either.

I've also had my testicles/penis dip into the actual toilet water (though that almost never happens now with water saving toilets since the levels are lower). And one time due to style/angle (sitting up straight is bad for guys sitting down) had the stream split on the edge of the toilet bowl and go everywhere, including out under the seat into my pants and underwear around my ankles.

Though to be fair, urinals splatter so shoes and the floor underneath them are often super filthy too (especially if someone likes to stand back since that means more splash). There's more fun facts about guys and peeing, but I'll leave it here.

:dance2: Hope this was informative! :dance2:
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

User avatar
Neko
member
member
Posts: 5750
Joined: Tue Jun 3, 1:33 2003
Contact:

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Neko » Tue Jan 31, 23:44 2017

Nech wrote:Though to be fair, urinals splatter so shoes and the floor underneath them are often super filthy too (especially if someone likes to stand back since that means more splash).

I'm so glad I'm not a janitor anymore because the floors under urinals were the worst. (Well, around the men's toilets too, for the same reason.) It just stinks up the whole room. When there's tile it gets into the grout and ughhh... I don't even want to think about troughs.

Nech wrote:As an aside, women can totally use urinals. From my understanding it takes a bit of practice if you're unfamiliar with yourself, but is totally doable with just as much accuracy as any man.

Can confirm. I wouldn't want to do it with a funnel or while wearing pants, personally. Kinda depends on the situation. But, hey, at least I can join in literal pissing contests!
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

lexiewalt

Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 6, 6:24 2016

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby lexiewalt » Wed Feb 1, 6:39 2017

Nech wrote:
lexiewalt wrote:I can't use 'em and I hope men don't want to use them while I'm there!


Why would you want men specifically to not use a washroom while you're there (in the theoretical unisex public restroom)?


Because I don't relish men pointing penises at porcelain while I'm trying to wash my hands! An ex used to wander into the bathrom and whip his out while I was washing or combing my hair, and even that was off-putting at first, but at least I knew what to expect with his...

lexiewalt

Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 6, 6:24 2016

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby lexiewalt » Wed Feb 1, 6:50 2017

"My primary school had the trough. It was essentially a unisex room, with sinks on both sides as you went in but the back part was divided by a wall and one side had stalls for girls while on the other was the trough and a couple of stalls for the boys. If we looked, we could see the a boy peeing, but not see his penis. We could hear them and I remember they had competitions about who could pee highest up the wall."

"Finally, I have a question for the guys. I've had a few different men say they don't like peeing when sitting down because it's uncomfortable. I'm just wondering why? I've never thought hard about the mechanics of it but maybe someone can enlighten me "


Yeh my primary school was like that - but you say "IF we looked" - well we regularly did! Not to satisfy ourselves as to which boy was worth dating when he got older, but just to annoy them! And it was always interesting which boys couldn't care less what we did and which got annoyed. Of course one annoying thing about the whole situation tho was they they could hear us talking about them!

Well I'm not a guy but in my experience guys with big ones don't like sitting down cos they have to force them underneath and that isn't always too easy!
Last edited by lexiewalt on Wed Feb 1, 12:27 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Galen

Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Galen » Wed Feb 1, 9:11 2017

Nech wrote:There's more fun facts about guys and peeing, but I'll leave it here.

I want to know the other fun facts!

theal

Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 1, 8:30 2017

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby theal » Thu Feb 2, 8:23 2017

My first school was in Spain. There we could see the boys at their little urinals but the way they were designed meant we just could not see a dick (however hard we tried ha ha!)
But really weird thing compared to US and UK school toilets was the paper. In the girls there were 2 sorts - soft and hard (hard for "back wipes").
In the boys they only had hard BUT it was provided at the urinals too and boys were told off if they didn't use it!
I always remember one of the older girls telling me and my sister that she has to show her little brother how to use the paper at the urinal!
ha ha ha ha ha!

tomokun
member
member
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Apr 5, 10:18 2013

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby tomokun » Thu Feb 2, 10:26 2017

Yeah, in order to sit on a toilet, you have to do a sort of scooping maneuver to avoid close encounters of the porcelain kind. Nech basically covered it all... but I also have to add that public toilets can actually be really dangerous for men to sit down on.

Occasionally, the seats aren't firmly fixed... and if you shift your weight while sitting, they can slide off of the bumpers underneath. When this happens, everything that's dangling in the bowl can get caught. I've had some minor heart attacks from the few close calls I've had while pooping. *shudders*

antfancier
member
member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Sep 3, 14:06 2015
Location: New England

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby antfancier » Thu Feb 2, 20:48 2017

Galen wrote:
Nech wrote:There's more fun facts about guys and peeing, but I'll leave it here.

I want to know the other fun facts!


Me too!

I never realised sitting down on a toilet could be so uncomfortable for people with a penis (and sitting down in public toilets in general is not pleasant). Seems like the toilet is ready for a design makeover. How would you guys change it in order to make it more accommodating?

Also, anyone used a Japanese toilet? They are amazing! But difficult to use when you are drunk.

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 4950
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Sonic# » Thu Feb 2, 21:40 2017

How would you guys change it in order to make it more accommodating?


Have the front of the seat open, mainly. Secondarily, making the bowl a bit more elongated in the front. Third, and more minor, just making sure each part is secure in installation.

What I've read about it raises an interesting point though. Such a design would help people with various parts. There's the clearance issue. Then there's having more access to wipe without contacting the toilet. Seems like a win-win for everyone, at least based on that description. Does anyone know why most domestic toilets don't do that?

Galen

Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 7, 21:52 2016
Location: New England

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Galen » Sat Feb 4, 9:43 2017

tomokun wrote:Yeah, in order to sit on a toilet, you have to do a sort of scooping maneuver to avoid close encounters of the porcelain kind. Nech basically covered it all... but I also have to add that public toilets can actually be really dangerous for men to sit down on.

Occasionally, the seats aren't firmly fixed... and if you shift your weight while sitting, they can slide off of the bumpers underneath. When this happens, everything that's dangling in the bowl can get caught. I've had some minor heart attacks from the few close calls I've had while pooping. *shudders*


Jesus, that's grim! I had no idea.

Couple years ago I was adding a floor to the house, which involved putting in a bathroom. The contractor and I were going over fixture choices, etc., and he was showing me pics of toilets and I was like, why on earth would anyone need a toilet that long? He blanched and changed the subject. And now I know why.

User avatar
SpicyX

Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 14:40 2017

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby SpicyX » Sat Feb 4, 11:13 2017

lexiewalt wrote:Perhaps if boys and men were concerned about why we so often have to wait to even p when they don't, then we MIGHT take their complaints a bit more seriously

well, as I woman, I've noticed that the reason why lines are so long for the women's bathroom isn't because we take too long to pee, but because women take too long at the god damned mirror. that's the rate-limited step in this process
Join the feminism voice chat! Download the open source mumble client and connect to:
mumble-us.cleanvoice.ru 50688

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 4950
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Sonic# » Sat Feb 4, 13:25 2017

^ Then how do we change the ways women are encouraged to be self-conscious about their appearance?

User avatar
melsbells
member
member
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 6:45 2014
Location: Finland

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby melsbells » Sat Feb 4, 14:03 2017

I haven't waited significantly longer for a single occupency restroom than I have for a stall in a multiple occupency restroom. Since I've never had to wait for a sink in a multiple occupency restroom, even if people are using the mirrors, I don't see how the mirrors would be causing a problem.

I would expect the men's restroom only having a urinal to violate some kind of health code. Besides the lack of accomodation for bowel movements, it would be a problem for men with medical issues (like difficulty balancing while standing). Lack of accomodation in restrooms could also out someone.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9337
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby rowan » Sat Feb 4, 14:51 2017

Yeah mirrors are totally not the problem anywhere I've been, ever. It's waiting for the stall.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Mr1of6
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 6:39 2017

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Mr1of6 » Sun Feb 19, 22:44 2017

@Taurwen I agree with you so much that people in privilege are the first to complain!! Like I have that privilege obviously but I would give up anything for equality I wouldn't even mind if woman had that privilege. I makes me so mad when people with privilege complain.

In general I do agree that those with privilege are the first to start whining

space_guy

Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 9:52 2017

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby space_guy » Mon Mar 6, 10:58 2017

Of course in this case men have a reason to complain. Fact is that only women are given conditions to solve all their WC problems lol. In a WC where they only have one place for men, the obvious solution is a toilet rather than a urinol. That's common sense.

User avatar
feministpal82

Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 6, 19:45 2017
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby feministpal82 » Tue Mar 7, 18:30 2017

Because they have been raised with so much privilege that if one little thing happens that it a challenge to their "privilege" then they bitch and whine. I'm not saying all men do this but most that I have been around have.
Trump is evil! He must be stopped!!!
Go LGBTQ!!! :gay:
Pence should :lightning: himself.

lexiewalt

Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 6, 6:24 2016

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby lexiewalt » Fri Mar 10, 10:07 2017

feministpal82 wrote:Because they have been raised with so much privilege that if one little thing happens that it a challenge to their "privilege" then they bitch and whine. I'm not saying all men do this but most that I have been around have.

Totally agree feministpal. I'm taking on board everything other people have said here, but you've answered the original question and I thank you for that!

User avatar
Nech
member
member
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 13:50 2015
Location: Canada

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Nech » Fri Mar 10, 15:27 2017

lexiewalt wrote:Totally agree feministpal. I'm taking on board everything other people have said here, but you've answered the original question and I thank you for that!


The same can be said about any group with privileges over another though. Losing privileged status always seems to send people into a fit of "Mah rights!". That's not anything new :P
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

User avatar
feministpal82

Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 6, 19:45 2017
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby feministpal82 » Fri Mar 10, 19:23 2017

The only way to stop men from being so ready to whine and complain about everything is to take away their privilege. Show them that their privilege doesn't count. Don't let them use it. Stand up to them. And most importantly, teach the next generation of men that they should be helping those who have less rights than them such as women and members of the LGBTQ community along with many other groups.
Trump is evil! He must be stopped!!!
Go LGBTQ!!! :gay:
Pence should :lightning: himself.

Pikachu
member
member
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 9:22 2016

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Pikachu » Sat Mar 11, 9:18 2017

feministpal82 wrote:The only way to stop men from being so ready to whine and complain about everything is to take away their privilege. Show them that their privilege doesn't count. Don't let them use it. Stand up to them. And most importantly, teach the next generation of men that they should be helping those who have less rights than them such as women and members of the LGBTQ community along with many other groups.


Oh? And how do you expect to accomplish that? Do you mean get in the faces of men and scream about male privilege? Cos they already do that.

User avatar
feministpal82

Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 6, 19:45 2017
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby feministpal82 » Sat Mar 11, 12:35 2017

Pikachu wrote:
feministpal82 wrote:The only way to stop men from being so ready to whine and complain about everything is to take away their privilege. Show them that their privilege doesn't count. Don't let them use it. Stand up to them. And most importantly, teach the next generation of men that they should be helping those who have less rights than them such as women and members of the LGBTQ community along with many other groups.


Oh? And how do you expect to accomplish that? Do you mean get in the faces of men and scream about male privilege? Cos they already do that.

If they try to demean or act like they are better than us we just need to quietly let them know that they are acting a little privileged. No need to scream and get in their faces.
Trump is evil! He must be stopped!!!
Go LGBTQ!!! :gay:
Pence should :lightning: himself.

User avatar
Tweek
member
member
Posts: 4962
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 3:02 2002
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Tweek » Sat Mar 11, 12:39 2017

That is definitely wrong; how is a man meant to read a chapter or two of his book in the loo if he can't sit down! :mad: :P
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

User avatar
Enigma
member
member
Posts: 3751
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 10:22 2004
Location: Canada

Re: Why are men so ready to complain...

Postby Enigma » Sat Mar 11, 20:28 2017

Pikachu wrote:
feministpal82 wrote:The only way to stop men from being so ready to whine and complain about everything is to take away their privilege. Show them that their privilege doesn't count. Don't let them use it. Stand up to them. And most importantly, teach the next generation of men that they should be helping those who have less rights than them such as women and members of the LGBTQ community along with many other groups.


Oh? And how do you expect to accomplish that? Do you mean get in the faces of men and scream about male privilege? Cos they already do that.

I'm sorry what? I'll have you know that any discussions I have about privilege are in a respectful tone and at a socially acceptable distance from any faces.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"


Return to “Feminism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest