Dialogue principles

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

spacefem

Dialogue principles

Postby spacefem » Fri Feb 3, 19:44 2017

I approve of this article from Feministing: .

The gist, for the link-phobic: it's easy for the most privileged to say "let's put aside our differences and support what we all believe in, shall we?" And then talk about unity, and pretend like problems aren't really problems. Hell, that's what Trump supporters are doing with their "support your president!" quips, saying we shouldn't be protesting at all. Sit and be quiet and don't complain.

So within our feminist movement, if we're organizing big marches everywhere, let's make sure we're not demanding Unity from all participants. Feminism has made some bad calls in history pushing race/class/gender identity/sexual orientation issues aside with a "this is not the time".

Dialogue is our goal. Asking everyone for stories, asking everyone what would make the world a better place, taking everyone seriously. Don't claim that your event is all about unity, but do claim it's all about dialogue.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

melsbells

Re: Dialogue principles

Postby melsbells » Sat Feb 4, 15:05 2017

Thanks for this link. I really want to think of unity in the feminist movement as intersectional support and hadn't really considered how the term is used to erase concerns. All that despite being aware of the lack of non-pink pussy hats and declarations from women who will not be marching alongside their sisters of color in other protests.

tomokun

Postby tomokun » Mon Feb 20, 15:44 2017

This is just a really great place for me to mention that this forum is truly great. I'm not certain how far long-term members have strayed from here, but I have yet to find a forum that is as inclusive and debate-friendly as this one. In other groups I lurk in, I JUST lurk because speaking up even in support can open up a whole mess of drama. :p

rowan

Postby rowan » Mon Feb 20, 16:36 2017

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Tue Feb 21, 7:19 2017

Last edited by DarkOne on Sat Feb 25, 18:13 2017, edited 1 time in total.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat Feb 25, 15:46 2017

Return to “Feminism”