A critique of Feminism worth reading

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

melsbells

A critique of Feminism worth reading

Postby melsbells » Wed Feb 22, 14:53 2017

YesIAmMale

Re: A critique of Feminism worth reading

Postby YesIAmMale » Thu Mar 30, 16:50 2017

Unfortunately, Feminism as an ideology has become synonymous with radical thinking, in which misandry is considered the norm as it is these people who seemingly attract the most attention, thus giving those of rational more liberal feminism a bad name. Personally, the biggest critique of Feminism as a movement is some of the people that identify with the ideology. (Please note: I am more than aware that this is not all feminists) it is simply those who identify but fail to adhere to the belief system of gender equality. It is those that push ridiculous notions such as "manspreading" that are of concern and quite frankly give a very valid movement a bad name.

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Mar 31, 9:39 2017

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Fri Mar 31, 13:16 2017

And now we have the follow-up, barely informed critique of Feminism that we've all heard before. And look, we're given to opportunity to be labeled as rational femnists as long as we reject a list of criteria. Then we can regain its validity as a movement (as opposed to, you know, stop ignoring the oppression of people who aren't upper-class white women that the original critique was talking about).

Hey, it's Friday!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Mar 31, 14:39 2017

I liked the original post when I read it the first time, melsbells. I didn't feel like I had enough of an answer to reply, but it would've been better than that. I think if we have access to power and the availability to march and act, we should. We should also develop messaging that explicitly addressess and builds in what is so often left out. That's got to happen with education, and I think that our media reading habits today is both more selective and more self-selective. It's not that someone turns on a TV and sees police brutality in Birmingham. A lot of people avoid the news, and others still are selective about their websites, and big differences exist in gender/racial discourse at Buzzfeed, Vice, Slate, Mother Jones, The New Yorker, The Washington Post, the National Review, and on and on... I could easily see someone picking two or three sites from that list, being nominally liberal and feminist, but not remotely intersectional. More locally, could there be more subversive pushes: tracts with pussyhats?

YesIAmMale doesn't sound like they've seen true manspreading. Deep manspreading. Manspreading for the cure. You know what logic dictates? You take up as much space as you need. If you have an average frame and can't sit in a single seat on a train, knees anywhere from together to shoulder-length-apart, do you have springs in that groin?

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Mar 31, 15:22 2017

YesIAmMale

Postby YesIAmMale » Sat Apr 1, 14:29 2017

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Apr 2, 8:02 2017

Oh look yet another person who thinks that just because people have it worse elsewhere we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads. Because somehow we can't work on more than one thing at once.

YesIAmMale

Postby YesIAmMale » Sun Apr 2, 11:17 2017

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Mon Apr 3, 12:40 2017

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Tue Apr 4, 7:38 2017

YesIAmMale

Postby YesIAmMale » Thu Apr 6, 8:57 2017

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Thu Apr 6, 14:41 2017

Dear YesIAmMale, have you thought of introducing yourself over in New Members first instead of diving straight in? We would appreciate that. There is a guide in the sticky in the subforum you can use if you are stuck for ideas.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri Apr 7, 10:37 2017

YesIAmMale

Postby YesIAmMale » Fri Apr 7, 19:15 2017

YesIAmMale

Postby YesIAmMale » Fri Apr 7, 19:18 2017

Aum

Postby Aum » Fri Apr 7, 22:50 2017

I'm assuming we're mostly talking about the United States in this thread, so that's what I'll go on in my reply. The U.S. is suffering from populism in general right now, which generally represents a modality of thinking that is a lot more superficial in its effort to draw conclusions. Some feminists are part of this, and in turn we have a media establishment that is hell bent on only representing feminism through these feminists. College campus social justice activists come to mind. They have been singled out as radicals like no other group, to the chagrin of life-long academics, and activist feminists who have been working on the ground level for many years.

Consider that a lot of us go through a namby pamby activist phase in our college years. I did. I look back at those photos now and cringe, but those were some prime years for self-development and learning (or mistaking) what the real world was about. My thoughts, feelings and actions have become a lot more succinct since then, more matured, more seasoned. I'm sure others here may feel similarly on reflection. The media establishment is taking these formative years and turning it into what the most recent iteration of feminism about, and that is simply untrue. It is part of the misogynist patriarchy and its usual agenda.

The other part to this which I already mentioned, and feel is a lot more pressing, is the populist aspect. There are people joining the feminist cause, as with all causes right now, but not really digging deep to understand the underpinnings of what they're fighting for. It's a vehicle for emotional venting, misdirected rage, and ignorance. I find myself combating these feminists regularly. They shut down talking circles with their personal offense, when really their entitlement to be offended should have no bearing on whether or not the conversation should continue. We have seasoned feminists who are being drowned out by impudence, while the media, who is all too willing to make these people the face of the movement, uses them to bait people away from their true oppressive agenda, like anti-abortion, etc. As populism polarizes people, the ones who are keeping their critical heads in a calm rational space are going to experience marginalization and exclusion. It's happening to every group right now, whether you're religious, or social justice, or queer, or a centrist politician. People who are balanced and sane are becoming the enemy.

It's a tough time to be a moderate in the U.S.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Return to “Feminism”