A critique of Feminism worth reading

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

melsbells

A critique of Feminism worth reading

Postby melsbells » Wed Feb 22, 14:53 2017

I get the vast majority of my English language and U.S. based news from http://www.npr.org. I've been a dedicated reader of Code Switch (with an editorial staff that I greatly respect), so when I saw the article titled Today's Feminism: Too Much Marketing, Not Enough Reality, I decided it was worth reading with an open mind. The author, Amy Alexander, touches on a lot of points that reminded me of the recent threads on Bourgeois Feminist Bullshit and Dialogue principles vs. Unity.

I felt myself agreeing with everything the Amy Alexander called for in the piece.
Today's iteration of feminism might gain wider credibility by recognizing and adopting core aspects of women of color's experiences: Resilience, self-love, and fundamental understanding that one's self-worth is not defined by the same markers of success that have defined white male status since the beginning of time in America.

I was mildly surprised by how contemporary feminism was defined.
At this moment, whether expressed by the second-wave, Gloria Steinem wing, or the third-wave corporatist Sheryl Sandberg arm, or the rowdy, genitalia-obsessed Lena Dunham arm, it seems that 'feminism' in 2017 is more concerned with promoting superficial trappings of genuine equality than with doing the tough work required to address the hard, cold facts of gender and racial inequality.
I can admit to being in a bit of a bubble, no longer living in the U.S., and getting my contemporary feminist sources from here and places like Everyday Feminism, which I find to be devoted to intersectionality as opposed to merely paying lip service.

Amy Alexander points out that a Day Without Women, while having great symbolic meaning, is something that only women with power have the ability to participate in without losing their livelihood. Other things recently brought to my attention like problems with the Women's march and the article on Bourgeois Feminism mentioned earlier have been jogging me out of my Feminism-is-for-Everybody-bubble to suggest that people are rallying behind a feminism that is a disconnect from the intersectional feminism to which I came and found home.

How do we get the people carrying the banner of feminism in the upper classes to carry the banner for the lower classes? How do we get white feminists to carry the banner for people of color? What do we do to get people to care about people they aren't? How do we make true intersectional feminism mainstream feminism?

Return to “Feminism”