Sexual harassment in the workplace, re: commentary on Fox News's recent turnover

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Sonic#

Sexual harassment in the workplace, re: commentary on Fox News's recent turnover

Postby Sonic# » Wed Apr 19, 16:56 2017

Unvoiced_Apollo

Re: Sexual harassment in the workplace, re: commentary on Fox News's recent turnover

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Thu Apr 20, 7:08 2017

Tbh, unless victims come forward all at once, I don't see how such leadership (who doesn't see harassment as a problem) will change. And unfortunately, it requires people to experience that first before change in such a culture can be made to prevent other victims. I really don't see an established culture changing until something big like that happens. And with Tucker Carlson being O'Reilly's replacement, such a shakeup is clearly no guarantee of a change. I also think you're right about the gender imbalance. My organization's leadership is about 50-50 but I'm also in a more unique situation in which most of my co-workers are women. There likely is a different dynamic as a result when compared to a male-dominated workplace.

If I were to start an organization, the best thing I could think of (in addition to many other policies other places have used) is to work with non-profit organizations that specializes in all sorts of unethical practices and create an investigative committee independent from the company or school. A lot of harassment goes unreported because the perpetrator is in a position of power or well liked/favored (or both: http://www.phillyvoice.com/report-penns ... hamed-her/) and as such the victim risks alienating other co-workers at best or losing their job. Having a committe independent of the organization allows for a lower conflict of interest, lets the victim speak anonymously, and the committee is then aware so that when others come forward they can show a history of the perpetrator. Again, doesn't do much to prevent, but I would hope this allows the victim to more freely report.

Return to “Feminism”