Regender, a web tool

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Sonic#

Regender, a web tool

Postby Sonic# » Mon May 1, 8:30 2017

Today I had the great joy of running across an old link on social media. It's a tool that switches the gender referents on websites.

Main tool
My original attempt, the Memoirs of Frank Hill

Anyway, I offer it to play around with. What do you find and observe when using it? I'll give a couple of brief examples using articles I've read from the past couple of days.

A. 15 Women React to the Idea of Taking Their Husband's Name After Marriage
The article as a whole was already a great example of a double-standard: men, most of whom were reluctant or unwilling to take their wife's name, giving reasons for why a woman should take their name that they themselves would find unacceptable if applied to them. So it's great to reverse the genders and make that point more directly.
Representative bit:
If hoards of women started taking their husbands’ surnames, it would be an unfortunate and perhaps irreversible step towards a patriarchal god culture, which blows for gals because those cultures used to routinely kill female infants and treat females like slaves.

B. Six child actresses who retired from showbiz
First, I like how the title rendered "actors" as "actresses." We've got entire classes of nouns that were used to refer to men, that today seem to have opened up to pertain to women, and yet actresses still exists, and sounds wrong when used to refer to boys. So there's something asynchronous in how the English language renders gender: masculine terms can expand to be a general case, but feminine terms with such a masculine equivalent become less common and more gendered (if that's possible) when used.

The rest is mainly incidental - "Mark Wilma" (Mara Wilson) highlights how even many last names can be gendered in other contexts, and last names featuring women's names are rare.

Return to “Feminism”