Spacefem.com

wet electronics

Math, science, physics, computers, engineering, and everything else that turns us on.

Moderators: rowan, Sonic#

wet electronics

Postby monk » Tue Oct 6, 13:28 2009

This may be old news but I just heard it.

if you drop your ipod or cell phone in water (or beer or whatever) there is a procedure for maybe keeping your device alive.

What you do:

get a bowl and fill it with uncooked rice.
Submerge watered electronics into the bowl so it's completely covered/surrounded by rice.
cover bowl and wait 72 hours.

remove item and test.

supposedly the rice will suck all the moisture out of your wetronic device.

please give feedback if you try this and it works.
thanks.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Re: wet electronics

Postby The Other Lizard » Tue Oct 6, 15:05 2009

when my cellphone got wet I was told to immediately remove the battery, dunk it in alcohol and then let it sit somewhere dry and warm and let the alcohol evaporate. It didn't work but I think that was because I didn't do it right away.
"Radical" simply means "grasping things at the root" - Angela Davis :tree:
The Other Lizard
quiet squamata
quiet squamata

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Oct 6, 16:02 2009

I have heard this before, but have never had a reason to try it.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby Chococat » Tue Oct 6, 16:27 2009

My friend tried this with her phone last weekend. It worked. You should take the battery out first, and sometimes leaving it to sit in sunlight for a few hours after the rice helps.
Jesus christ, I'm a wizard! Get in the car!
Chococat
got the spirit, lose the feeling
got the spirit, lose the feeling

Postby Charli! » Thu Oct 8, 8:58 2009

Long as you take the battery out and let it dry out before you try to turn it on, it should be ok. I have an mp3 player thats been through the washing machiens laods of times, and it still works!

Don't pick up the sopping wet camera and instantly try to turn it on, Mom, obviously that was a bad idea.
[url]uglyteapot.comI am an ugly teapot. That doesn't like tea.[/url]
Pirate Captain Charli Spr0wNotKid
Charli!
established
established

Postby Aum » Thu Oct 8, 13:45 2009

Could someone explain to me why it works if you let it dry out, but if you try to turn it on while it's still wet it destroys it for good?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby rowan » Thu Oct 8, 14:19 2009

If it's off, *hopefully* there is no electricity running through the circuitry. If you turn it on, the electricity will flow and because it's wet and electricity flows through water, electricity will short-circuit and go where it shouldn't be going in ways it shouldn't be going.

However it still isn't good; water generally will have impurities in it, so even if it dries out you might still short-circuit the electronics. And I suppose it depends a little on how the switching mechanism works for any given device as to whether or not being off will keep electricity from flowing while it's wet too. But generally as long as electricity isn't flowing it won't fry stuff if it's wet.
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby Bork » Thu Oct 8, 19:34 2009

You should also pop the battery out ASAP.

If someone were to hypothetically drop their phone in something sugary, like a margarita for example (totally speaking hypothetically here), should you rinse the phone off first, or just stick it in rice? Margaritas can get kind of sticky...

and, just in case anyone is curious, your phone will work for approximately 18 hours after it gets dropped in a margarita. Or, just long enough for you to go to sleep, wake up and go to work, and get to the store to buy a new phone, where you find out that you can only upload information to your new phone from your old phone if your old phone can still turn on.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:
Bork
Resident Punctuation Vigilante

Postby Tapioca » Fri Oct 9, 12:18 2009

Bork wrote:If someone were to hypothetically drop their phone in something sugary, like a margarita for example (totally speaking hypothetically here), should you rinse the phone off first, or just stick it in rice? Margaritas can get kind of sticky...

A friend of mine had his liquid cooling system with random sticky additives explode all over the inside of his PC. He submerged the parts in distilled water for like a week and a half, then dried it out and it worked again. I guess that would work with margaritas too? Haha.
"Comparing most girls to me is like comparing Sputnik to a space-borne death laser."
Tapioca
Big Scary Liberal... roar.
Big Scary Liberal... roar.

Postby Mathmo » Sat Oct 10, 11:16 2009

Yeah, I would have guessed that if it's really wet already, then soaking it in distilled water might remove impurities and therefore be a good thing? But if it's just splashed, I wouldn't try to wash it off.
Mathmo
established
established

Postby SakuraSong » Sat Oct 10, 11:23 2009

Aw, I have a habit of dropping electronics in the water all the time, so I wish I knew about this before I had to buy a new Gameboy ADV. What a waste of money.

I shall try this on my sister's cellphone.
"Truth is a garrulous, quarrelsome bitch."
SakuraSong
Unroyal Courtesan!
Unroyal Courtesan!

Postby Bork » Sat Oct 10, 20:40 2009

Tapioca wrote:
Bork wrote:If someone were to hypothetically drop their phone in something sugary, like a margarita for example (totally speaking hypothetically here), should you rinse the phone off first, or just stick it in rice? Margaritas can get kind of sticky...

A friend of mine had his liquid cooling system with random sticky additives explode all over the inside of his PC. He submerged the parts in distilled water for like a week and a half, then dried it out and it worked again. I guess that would work with margaritas too? Haha.

It might work if you don't keep it on and try to use it. If you take the battery out right away and then soak it, that's something that would probably work. where was this thread two years ago?
Bork

Postby cwbyrvr » Sat Oct 10, 21:37 2009

Bork wrote:where was this thread two years ago?

Holy crap, that was two years ago? My God... how time flies.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.
cwbyrvr
Phil
Phil

Postby Bork » Sun Oct 11, 3:06 2009

cwbyrvr wrote:
Bork wrote:where was this thread two years ago?

Holy crap, that was two years ago? My God... how time flies.

Freaking seriously. At first, I was just going to go with a year ago, and then I realized that realistically, it was two years ago. UGH I FEEL SO OLD.
Bork

Postby sarcasticgal1221 » Sat Oct 31, 13:53 2009

I've used this on my phone multiple times. It works. It's amazing.
(disclaimer: I've never used it after my phone has been completely submerged in water for extended periods of time, I've used it when I drop a cup of water on my phone, and I've grabbed phone out right away. I don't know how it would work if the liquid had more time to permeate machinery.)

Take the battery out first.
Last edited by sarcasticgal1221 Just Now, edited infinite times in total.
sarcasticgal1221
walking disaster
walking disaster

Return to Science & Technology