WTF, firefox?

Moderator: rowan

lillerina

WTF, firefox?

Postby lillerina » Sun Oct 11, 5:36 2009

Firefox seems to have forgotten how to keep me logged in to things. I'm not very impressed, and if I can't sort this out I'm going to switch - I have Opera, Safari and Google Chrome installed, so I may as well use one of those. I'm headed for the last straw with Firefox.

Anyone know how to make firefox keep me logged in? It keeps signing me out of my google account, various message boards, my blog... tres annoying.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

miketheheadlesschicken

Re: WTF, firefox?

Postby miketheheadlesschicken » Sun Oct 11, 12:02 2009

Under Tools>Options>Security, you can see if the box that says "Remember passwords for sites" is unchecked? That's all I know, really. I don't know if these things are reset if you delete cookies.

Pyro Chick

Postby Pyro Chick » Sun Oct 11, 13:09 2009

just get google chrome. it's awesome
:fire: :pineapple:

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Mon Oct 12, 9:24 2009

Remember passwords for sites is checked.

I have google chrome but I like to browse sans ads.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

SakuraSong

Postby SakuraSong » Mon Oct 12, 10:53 2009

miketheheadlesschicken wrote:Under Tools>Options>Security, you can see if the box that says "Remember passwords for sites" is unchecked? That's all I know, really. I don't know if these things are reset if you delete cookies.

Yeah, if your cookies are deleted every time you close Firefox, all of your passwords and info gets resetted. That's what I did, and I had to log in manually to everything. It is very annoying.

Tools<Options<Privacy, click on "Keep cookies until they expire".
"Truth is a garrulous, quarrelsome bitch."

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Mon Oct 12, 14:25 2009

Under Tools>Options>Privacy it says "Firefox will... keep cookies from Web sites you visit."

cwbyrvr

Postby cwbyrvr » Mon Oct 12, 18:01 2009

Hrm, not sure, I have my FF set up to log me out of things and delete everything because I like to keep things private even though I rarely do anything online that I wouldn't want people seeing.

I could poke around in settings right now, I'm on a different computer, this one keeps me logged in even if the computer is turned off, so these settings might be just what you need.

Will edit this post if no one posts after me and I discover something that might help.

edit:
It doesn't specify an amount of time it keeps cookies? That seems odd. Is there no way to change how long it keeps them?
Is it set to browse privately by default?
Under the "security" tab is it set to remember passwords? Do you have the "keep me logged in" thing checked on the sites in question?

I'm not really certain I could help unless I was actually staring at your FF set up, to be honest.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Oct 12, 18:18 2009

I don't remember where I did it but I once set firefox to purge all cookies and history whenever I closed it. Is it possible you accidentally have that setting on?
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

SatansSpawn666 wrote:COME SISTER!! WE SHALL BURN AWAY HIS MERRY LITTLE ARSE WITH OUR FLAMING BOOTS OF UN-MERCIFUL GAIN!

cwbyrvr

Postby cwbyrvr » Mon Oct 12, 18:37 2009

Enigma wrote:I don't remember where I did it but I once set firefox to purge all cookies and history whenever I closed it. Is it possible you accidentally have that setting on?

Yeah, this is how I have mine set. It clears all private data when it's closed... is the issue just that it logs you off everything when you close it, or is it logging you off while you're still using stuff? If that's the case, then I have no idea what the problem is, it probably can't be fixed in your settings, but I don't know for sure what your exact problem is.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Tue Oct 13, 2:22 2009

Only when I close it. It's set to keep cookies and keep passwords. I've gone through my settings with a fine toothed comb, everything is telling it keep me logged in, save my passwords, don't delete cookies.

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Oct 13, 6:58 2009

So you don't have options that look like this:

screencap1.jpg

Is that right? (the arrow I put pointing to the "how long to keep")

I think it's odd that you don't have something like that. And also that no one asked what version of Firefox you're using yet. So what version of FF are you using and on what platform (windows, macos, linux)?
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Wed Oct 14, 3:12 2009

Ah, I've got it! I had it set to remember history, not 'custom settings for history', so it was just telling me, yes, I'm remembering cookies. When I changed it to custom settings for history, it had checked the 'private browsing session' so it was only keeping cookies until I closed firefox. I've changed it now to 'custom settings for history', unchecked the private browsing session, and told it to keep cookies until they expire.

Thanks rowan!

(For reference, I'm using Firefox 3.5.3 and windows vista)

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Oct 14, 9:36 2009

*shudder* Vista.... ;)

Glad it helped. Sometimes a screencap is the best way to go. :)
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Thu Oct 15, 1:48 2009

Spoke too soon. Didn't work.

Yeah, I hate Vista too.

rowan

Postby rowan » Thu Oct 15, 7:28 2009

Return to “Science Technology Engineering & Math”