Spacefem.com

Rosetta Stone is awesome..

Math, science, physics, computers, engineering, and everything else that turns us on.

Moderators: rowan, Sonic#

Rosetta Stone is awesome..

Postby Barkey » Tue Nov 3, 22:14 2009

Brushing up on my Arabic for Iraq, and Rosetta Stone is such a great combination of frustrating and rewarding. One second you are banging your head against the wall over the fact that there are NO references to english for you to base things off of, then after bashing your head through a few more lessons you feel so rewarded when you complete a sentence before the learning aid, essentially remembering the words to the phrase and connecting them with the picture before the computer says what it wants.

I now know things besides insulting allah, telling folks to stand back, and swearing!
“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
Barkey
Brave Sayer
Brave Sayer

Re: Rosetta Stone is awesome..

Postby lizpoona » Tue Nov 3, 22:25 2009

Awesome! I've always wanted to try Rosetta Stone, but it's so expensive. Isn't like in the range of $400 or so? Definitely not happening for me anytime soon...

and, high-five for starting to learn Arabic! I've been wanting to learn for a while because the adventurous part of me wants to work in the Middle East and do crazy stuff relevant to the rest of the world... but yea. it would be my third foreign language to learn and I'm not even remotely fluent in the first two (german and spanish), so I might take a quick summer course as an introduction and then wait to see if I'll ever actually need it. Conquering rudimentary knowledge of spanish and re-learning what I've forgotten of german are first on the list for now...

What do you plan on using it for? Will you be going back overseas and working there?
Resident almost-but-not-admittedly Trekkie

MFS: Darwinism is failing

:cross: = my life
lizpoona
Who wants to lick the spoon?
Who wants to lick the spoon?

Postby Barkey » Tue Nov 3, 23:20 2009

lizpoona wrote:Awesome! I've always wanted to try Rosetta Stone, but it's so expensive. Isn't like in the range of $400 or so? Definitely not happening for me anytime soon...

and, high-five for starting to learn Arabic! I've been wanting to learn for a while because the adventurous part of me wants to work in the Middle East and do crazy stuff relevant to the rest of the world... but yea. it would be my third foreign language to learn and I'm not even remotely fluent in the first two (german and spanish), so I might take a quick summer course as an introduction and then wait to see if I'll ever actually need it. Conquering rudimentary knowledge of spanish and re-learning what I've forgotten of german are first on the list for now...

What do you plan on using it for? Will you be going back overseas and working there?

Arabic would be useful for Iraq, I'd really rather learn Farsi since I've only been to A-stan and arabic is almost unspoken there. It would open alot of career doors for me. I would probably get an achievement medal for being fluent in either language, my deployability would skyrocket, and it looks good on a resume. I could also get a contractor job in pretty much any field in the relevant area (Farsi for afghan and arabic for Iraq) simply for being able to talk to the locals. That means I'd be paid a huge sum of untaxed money, which really appeals to me.

I also recently met a cute girl that speaks farsi, and I could use a partner in more ways than one. :roll:
“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
Barkey
Brave Sayer
Brave Sayer

Postby Bork » Sat Nov 7, 11:35 2009

Interesting... good to know that it's actually good. I don't think I've ever hear anyone give any sort of review of Rosetta Stone. Maybe I'll try it out for French...

I am so jealous that you're learning Arabic. I was going to take it as my language in college, but then I switched majors and didn't need to take a language.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:
Bork
Resident Punctuation Vigilante
Resident Punctuation Vigilante

Postby Barkey » Sat Nov 7, 13:42 2009

Bork wrote:Interesting... good to know that it's actually good. I don't think I've ever hear anyone give any sort of review of Rosetta Stone. Maybe I'll try it out for French...

I am so jealous that you're learning Arabic. I was going to take it as my language in college, but then I switched majors and didn't need to take a language.

As soon as I get Farsi downloaded I'll be switching to that, it has a much more practical use than Arabic for my career, it's the most common language in Afghanistan(Despite having like 10 popular languages, 50 percent speak Farsi) And is the official language of Iran in case push came to shove and we ever decide to pick a fight with them or vice versa. Arabic would be handy if I wanted to travel to the middle east for personal reasons or went to Iraq but to be honest? I don't think I'll ever want to go to that part of the world for fun. The program is too damn expensive to buy, even with our military discount from the post exchange it's like 650 for all 3 levels, and maybe 150-200 for just level 1.
Barkey
Brave Sayer
Brave Sayer

Return to Science & Technology