Spacefem.com

Bobby McFerrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scal

Math, science, physics, computers, engineering, and everything else that turns us on.

Moderators: rowan, Sonic#

Bobby McFerrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scal

Postby Astrid » Sun Apr 4, 16:34 2010

This could almost go under the Mixed Media category. But, as this was an event at the World Science Festival 2009, I'm posting the link here. This demonstrates the neurological commonality of man.

"Bobby McFerrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scale, using audience participation, at the event "Notes & Neurons: In Search of the Common Chorus", from the 2009 World Science Festival, June 12, 2009."

http://vimeo.com/5732745

I really loved this. :)
The Teacher: “With all the social and medical advancements we can bring to the Independents, why would they fight so hard against us?”

Young River Tam: “We meddle.” “People don’t like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think. Don’t run, don’t walk. We’re in their homes and in their heads and we haven’t the right. We’re meddlesome.”
Astrid
Haver of Pants
Haver of Pants

Re: Bobby McFerrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scal

Postby lizpoona » Sun Apr 4, 17:10 2010

That is pretty darn awesome; I especially like his point about every audience everywhere being able to understand that. Humans just get music. Why? That's the perplexing part!
Resident almost-but-not-admittedly Trekkie

MFS: Darwinism is failing

:cross: = my life
lizpoona
Who wants to lick the spoon?
Who wants to lick the spoon?

Re: Bobby McFerrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scal

Postby lillerina » Mon Apr 5, 3:21 2010

That's super awesome!The pentatonic scale is so cool.

I also find it fascinating that there are so many microtones, infinitesimally smaller than a semitone, and they sound horrible to the human ear.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes
lillerina
We are the internet. We are one.
We are the internet. We are one.

Return to Science & Technology