Spacefem.com

Clouds

Math, science, physics, computers, engineering, and everything else that turns us on.

Moderators: rowan, Sonic#

Clouds

Postby rowan » Thu May 13, 15:23 2010

I was poking around online today, and came across this article on wired about all sorts of weird clouds. Now, I think most people get the basic clouds in middle school earth science or whatever, but here are some really cool things that happen with clouds -- seen from space. When you think of clouds from space, you think mostly of hurricanes and stuff. Or at least I do. But there are lots of other neat things you can see from space that you can't really see that well from Earth. Here you go! As far as I can tell the descriptions of why they form are pretty accurate (although I was just skimming).

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... ry-clouds/

One of my friends said that she thought the anvil cloud ought to be renamed UFOs, but I think that lenticular clouds look more like UFOs from the ground. Here are some lenticular cloud pictures that look like flying saucers:

Above images from Astronomy Picture of the Day website

Mmmm....fluid dynamics! (No, really it's not that scary! doh! Don't run!)
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Re: Clouds

Postby Astrid » Thu May 13, 16:08 2010

I loved both of the links you provided. Beautiful...wow!

It's amazing what our earthbound eyes do not get to see. This is one more reason why I love the science/technology that allows us to look back at Earth from space. :)
The Teacher: “With all the social and medical advancements we can bring to the Independents, why would they fight so hard against us?”

Young River Tam: “We meddle.” “People don’t like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think. Don’t run, don’t walk. We’re in their homes and in their heads and we haven’t the right. We’re meddlesome.”
Astrid
Haver of Pants
Haver of Pants

Postby Mathmo » Fri May 14, 2:49 2010

I love that third picture. It makes me think of The Gods Themselves by Asimov ... that cloud looks just how I imagined the beings from the parallel universe.
Mathmo
established
established

Postby Bork » Fri May 14, 16:55 2010

That's so awesome!! I love fluid dynamics.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:
Bork
Resident Punctuation Vigilante
Resident Punctuation Vigilante

Postby Nachos » Sun Jun 13, 2:07 2010

Clouds are funky. I sometimes take pictures of them from airplane windows.
No thanks, I already have a :penguin:

A woman is like a tea bag. You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Nachos
with cheese...
with cheese...

Postby helium » Sun Jun 13, 13:38 2010

We get lenticular clouds all the time around here because of the one large mountain standing on it's own. People srsly believe that they're spaceships/cover for spaceships for the Lumerians, the aliens that live in a city of gold down inside the mountain. There's a religion founded on it and everything.

But they are really pretty, and usually you can tell when we're going to get some bad weather because more of them show up.
those like you who lost their way,
murdered on the interstate
while the red bells rang like thunder

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence
I solve my problems with violence

Postby radagast » Sun Jun 20, 20:20 2010

I'm with Nachos. I love to take photos of clouds from airplanes. Where I live (Kansas) we also have lots of really neat big thunder boomers in the spring and summer, a cloud photog's delight.
Visca la P.O.U.M.!

Beware of people carrying ideas. Beware of ideas carrying people.
radagast
established
established

Return to Science & Technology