Cancer clinics

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

Nachos

Cancer clinics

Postby Nachos » Tue Apr 12, 19:07 2016

A family friend of mine just called me and asked me if I would go with her to a cancer clinic and be her helper while she's there. Obviously I would go if I can (working on that) but I checked it out and it seems... Odd.

They're not promising to cure cancer, just "holistically help the body fight cancer itself". They have treatments ranging from ozone therapy (wtf?) to vitamin c drips to infra red hyperthermia and all sorts of odd things.

Does anyone have experience with these places? Or access to academic journals which say these methods work?

It's her choice and I'll support it, but I would like to know the facts in my head first even if I disagree silently.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Bork

Re: Cancer clinics

Postby Bork » Tue Apr 12, 19:28 2016

Interesting. This is supposed to be something that people do in addition to other treatments, right? Not instead of?

Probably not as bad of an idea as you might think at first glance. I think you're going to get a lot of benefit from the placebo effect more than anything else. Would you mind telling the name of the clinic? I'd love to do a little more research. I don't think that I have access to journals through work, but I'll check.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed Apr 13, 13:05 2016

This is in addition to the chemo and radiotherapy she's already undergone and will keep doing.

There are a few, the one she was originally going to go to was in Germany: http://www.arcadia-cancer-treatment.com/

This was is http://www.visionofhopeclinic.com/
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Aum

Postby Aum » Thu Apr 14, 9:12 2016

There are holistic medicine therapies that are effective for cancer, either as adjuncts to chemo or stand-alone (depending on what the person wants). The methods in the OP sound questionable though. Is it a U.S. clinic? Because private clinics are regulated differently there and can make all kinds of claims. In the U.S. it's illegal to claim you can cure cancer unless what you're offering is chemo, radiation or surgery.

I've always found that bizarre because it prevents clinics from presenting research to say that they can accomplish what they claim. As a result it's impossible to academically tell the difference between one clinic that might be good and another that might be quackery, because they have to avoid the landmine language that could bring the government down upon them. It's an unfortunate product of the big pharma environment.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Sun Apr 17, 13:20 2016

Yeah my SO likes me to put my hand on her to cure her aches and pains. In my behavior modification class they talked about how "some" migraine sufferers can be relieved by not reinforcing pain related behaviors that are connected in the brizzain.

Return to “Science & Technology”