Microfiber cleaning cloths

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

antfancier

Microfiber cleaning cloths

Postby antfancier » Fri Sep 9, 11:04 2016

So I need to buy a new mop and all of a sudden the Internet pops up with the miracle of microfiber. I tried to look up how it works and it seems to make sense (http://www.explainthatstuff.com/microfibercloths.html; the loops in the fabric are so small they can scrub off all the dirt without the use of any kind of detergent. But then I see special microfiber cloths embedded with silver to kill the germs that they've scrubbed off and which are now attached to the cloth instead. There're also microfiber towels for deep cleaning your skin, which seems a little excessive because our skin, unlike a kitchen counter for example, basically cleans itself. So now I feel a little skeptical - is it all just marketing talk? Can anyone comment on the science behind this? Or even better, does anyone use microfiber for cleaning and can tell me whether it really is worth my money?

Aum

Re: Microfiber cleaning cloths

Postby Aum » Sat Sep 10, 21:25 2016

I use microfiber to clean my computer monitor, and it works way better than anything else without leaving any scratches. I think it's a real thing. Maybe they're exaggerating the uses for it.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sun Sep 11, 6:15 2016

I use microfiber as a screen and lens cleaner, and I like it. I don't use any detergent, and it makes the surface reasonably clear.

That said, I don't know about the silver-embedded cloth or skin-cleaning towel. I'd be curious about how the cloth doesn't absorb skin oils.

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 8:22 2016

Yeah, I don't know about the silver part, but the microfiber seems to work well for things especially delicate. That way it doesn't scratch. I have a microfiber one that my MIL gave me for general cleaning and I find that it doesn't work as well because it's not as absorbent. Not sure why that is, if it's just the weave is tighter or what, and it might just be that brand, but I don't use it for the kitchen. Actually I just don't really use it at all.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Sep 12, 5:29 2016

I've got one for my computer and I've heard of a special one for your face....

I just like it because it doesn't fluff everywhere. Don't know much about the science behind it, sorry :(
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Wed Sep 14, 0:58 2016

I have a few microfibre clothes for cleaning my glasses and other lenses; I've not tried cleaning other things with them though.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Neko

Postby Neko » Thu Sep 15, 9:02 2016

Microfiber cloths are fantastic. I just wouldn't buy into any claims that make them sound miraculous. They aren't all manufactured equal either. Good microfiber cloths don't leave streaks when cleaning glass (they have to be dry for it to work, btw) but the super cheap ones do. The latter can also leave bits of fluff. Those are okay for cleaning eye glasses but I wouldn't use them on mirrors or windows.

Uline makes the best cloths I ever had at work. I would still use them with whatever cleaners you normally prefer. I have yet to see any actual proof that there are cloths, with silver or not, that kill germs on their own

Note: I previously worked as a janitor for a total of maybe five years.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

curlybae

Postby curlybae » Thu Oct 27, 6:25 2016

Here's a good read on microfiber cloths.

http://wellnessmama.com/5621/microfiber-green-cleaning/

Personally, I only use them to clean the mirror, my glasses, tv screen and computer screen.

Return to “Science & Technology”