Feathery dinosaur tail found

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

rowan

Feathery dinosaur tail found

Postby rowan » Fri Dec 9, 11:48 2016

Oh oh this is so cool! The first actual feathers found on a dinosaur tail:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016 ... retaceous/

We've known for a while that dinosaurs had feathers but this is like really good well preserved with fleshy bits and everything! Neeat.

Also it occurs to me just now that we know that birds are leftover dinosaurs (from a conversation I had on twitter with a bird paleontologist, we're not entirely sure why birds (therapods) survived when other dinosaurs died out, but thoughts are that it's because they ate seeds which would still have been around in the ground when plants died off from the asteroid impact. (My summary)

Anyway today it just occurred to me that since we know dinos were warm-blooded, and also that birds are dinosaurs, that that probably means dinos weren't reptiles like I was taught when I was a kid. But wait, I'm reading things that maybe dinos were somewhere in between warm/cool blooded and/or still evolved from reptiles so maybe birds are cousins to reptiles? BUT. Maybe not?

THIS IS SO COOL. YAY SCIENCE!
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Meperidine

Re: Feathery dinosaur tail found

Postby Meperidine » Fri Dec 9, 14:35 2016

Yay science! Yay feathers! Yay for that one ant who didn't know it was going to be so famous.
:heart: and :spacefem:

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Fri Dec 9, 16:04 2016

I didn't read this story but saw a headline with the picture and was hoping they were feathers. Yeah feathers!

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Fri Dec 9, 21:25 2016

And what beautiful feathers they are! This is SO cool!! I'm also just really surprised at how small the whole animal would've been. It's interesting trying to imagine a sparrow-sized feathered dinosaur that isn't just a bird.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Dec 9, 21:50 2016

That ant! The feathers! Both of these are really cool.

With the article, I find fascinating how scientific work is so caught up in politics and economics. How did the scientists find this? In an amber market in Myanmar:

It was one of more than a dozen amber samples with significant inclusions that were collected by Xing and his research team in 2015 at a well-known amber market in Myitkyina, the capital of Kachin state. Two of the other samples contained the dinosaur-era bird wings published earlier this summer.

It had already been polished by traders. I guess if I saw this stone out of context I wouldn't have the know-how to identify it as a dinosaur tail.

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Fri Dec 9, 22:16 2016

I have no coherent response to this yet, I'm still going "this is SO COOL! They thought dinosaurs had feathers and now we CAN SEE THEM! BIRDS ARE DINOSAURS! WHAAAAT!"

Aum

Postby Aum » Sat Dec 10, 20:01 2016

I saw this and found it really exciting! I thought about Jurassic Park and extracting DNA, but of course they anticipated people thinking that and told us it's not possible.

OR SO THEY SAY.

Count on there being a secret dinosaur herd somewhere out there!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Thu Dec 29, 13:41 2016

THIS IS SO AMAZING!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Return to “Science & Technology”