Vasalgel

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

Nachos

Vasalgel

Postby Nachos » Tue Feb 7, 1:27 2017

Exciting news on male birth control! Studies are underway!

Male contraceptive gel passes monkey test
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38879224

This is very exciting for so many reasons. No longer does the onus for long term birth control fall on the female partners and men can have reliable long term contraception that is reversible. Yay!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Nech

Re: Vasalgel

Postby Nech » Tue Feb 7, 7:48 2017

Awesome :D
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Tue Feb 7, 13:22 2017

Woo!

Bork

Postby Bork » Tue Feb 7, 23:08 2017

Those are super promising monkey trials. I would, however, really like to see a much more easily accessed method for male birth control. Both this and a vasectomy have to be done under anesthetic, so it's not like this could be helpful in the moment (like a condom is, for example). I really don't see what the advantage is to this versus a vasectomy, and frankly that kind of bothers me because I think we need to be coming up with better alternatives not ones that are on par. It seems like the main benefit to this is that it'll be easy to reverse, but vasectomies are already reversible, and I really don't think that's the problem we should be focusing on at this point. To me, reversbility seems like a pretty extraneous benefit, and one that we should only focus on once we've solved the main other problems.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Wed Feb 8, 16:21 2017

I would consider reversibility pretty important. I wouldn't use anything that had a high chance of ruining my fertility for three months after stopping, let alone permanently. The reason most guys I know give for not having a vasectomy is that it's not really that reversible.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed Feb 8, 19:43 2017

I believe something like this would be mainly used in long term partnerships where children are not currently wanted but reversibility is important because children are wanted eventually. Something to replace having the ovary bearing partner be on hormonal birth control for years at a time. I think this is also important because hormonal birth control can not only affect the person taking it but also the environment.

Vasectomies are not meant to be reversible. That they sometimes are is not something to be counted on.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Aum

Postby Aum » Thu Feb 9, 3:53 2017

Vasectomies are not a cake walk and some people have complications from them. A lot of them are not reversible despite claims to the contrary. It depends on the level of scarring. Also, not all vasectomies are effective either!

So far the male contraceptive methods they're experimenting with do not seem promising. Female contraception is so much simpler by comparison because women have a monthly cycle that is hormonally regulated. Men have no such cycle so the interventions are always going to be unnatural and more radical. I would not trust this gel... the procedure is downright invasive.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Thu Feb 9, 7:58 2017

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Feb 10, 13:56 2017

I admit that vasectomies and Vasalgel make me feel squeamish. But what DarkOne's saying about IUDs, implants, and hormones also makes a lot of sense - most of the contraceptive strategies for women are at least as invasive. Perhaps many people also feel squeamish about those options; yet I'd guess that women experience more encouragement or pressure to undergo them than men. If I can accept and benefit from the widespread array of contraceptives women receive, it seems fair that I also accept some of that risk, that I get a ball or two in the game. Once my partner and I have a kid or two, I'll have to seriously look into it.

I've used condoms for my entire adult life. It's kind of cool to imagine what options my kids will have, or even what I'll have in 10 years.

Return to “Science & Technology”