Are you or your sons circumcised?

poll all you want! we love polls!

Moderators: Tweek, Meperidine

I'm female and I don't have a son.
46%
I'm female and my sons are all uncircumcised.
8%
I'm female and I have uncircumcised and circumcised sons.
No votes
I'm female and my sons are all circumcised.
No votes
No, I'm not and I don't have a son.
23%
No, I'm not and my sons aren't either.
No votes
No, I'm not and I have uncircumcised and circumcised sons.
No votes
No, I'm not but my sons all are.
No votes
Yes, I am and I don't have a son.
23%
Yes, I am but my sons are not.
No votes
Yes, I am and I have uncircumcised and circumcised sons.
No votes
Yes, I am and my sons all are as well.
No votes

Total votes: 13

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Sun Sep 11, 10:33 2016

rowan

Re: Are you or your sons circumcised?

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 10:37 2016

We discussed this before our child was born (we didn't know the sex beforehand), and decided not to circumcise because we oppose genital mutilation in girls, so this should also apply to boys. Of course, there are reasons the two are not equivalent, but no reason to actually do a circumcision.

Wound up being a moot point anyway.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Sun Sep 11, 10:44 2016

rowan wrote:we oppose genital mutilation in girls

Of course, we all oppose that. FGM is the most horrific thing in the world. Amnesty International, among other organizations, is working hard to fight it.

Feel free to debate non-circumcision versus circumcision if there are opposing views here. As the creator of the poll, I will abstain so as not to influence the results.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Sun Sep 11, 11:20 2016

My partner isn't circumcised and is very happy about that fact, so we knew long before having a child that it wasn't something we were going to pursue. Personally, I wasn't comfortable with circumcision so it wasn't really a discussion so much as an immediate agreement. If we had been on the fence about it the fact that it's not covered by OHIP (the provincial health care in Ontario) and thus it costs at least 300$ would have been enough for us to skip it.

I do know a couple who were at odds about it. He was pro, she was against (To be fair, they had decided against it until it was confirmed she was pregnant with a boy after which the father changed his tune). Last I heard the conversation ended when she told him she'd deny that he was the father at the hospital so he wouldn't be able to okay the procedure.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Sep 12, 7:22 2016

You don't have religious options in your poll. Are you simply asking for societal options?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Mon Sep 12, 7:58 2016

I'm just asking if they're circumcised for any reason, religious, cultural or societal.

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Mon Sep 12, 13:56 2016

Since the results are pretty much in, I'll express my view at this point. Circumcision is a practice that absolutely must be eradicated. It disables a male's sex life, which I'll admit in many cases is deserved, but not in all by any stretch, and even 1 person whose love organ is mutilated and she/he wants to use it for love is too many. I dedicate this post to the over 200 million FGM victims in the world, which is infinitely worse than circumcision. FGM is the worst crime that Earth humans have ever committed.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Mon Sep 12, 14:10 2016

I couldn't find the option I wanted to select. I'm not circumcised, nor is my spouse, nor is our child. It's illegal here, but we wouldn't have had our kid circumcised anyway.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Sep 12, 14:11 2016

As a circumcised man, my sex life is not disabled, and whereas I acknowledge the complications that can arise from the operation and thus will not have it done to my kids, I resent people's attempts to depict me as damaged goods or to otherwise oversimplify circumcise people's experiences.

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Mon Sep 12, 14:42 2016

Oh shit, sorry. It was not my intention to depict you as "damaged goods". I can see where you're coming from, and I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. You still deserve to be loved without limits, it's not your fault that you're circumcised.

This is where I'm coming from: http://www.blissrunner.com/circumcision-may-be-harming-your-sex-life/

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Mon Sep 12, 15:37 2016

I find the term "love organ" mildly unsettling for some reason.

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Mon Sep 12, 15:44 2016

Well, if you don't know why, maybe you're subconsciously sexually repressed?

Aum

Postby Aum » Mon Sep 12, 16:04 2016

Referring to it as a love organ is an objectifying term. Telling circumcised men that they are disabled and in many cases deserve it is a non-starter for discussion. I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet for your open misandry, which I can only assume is the product of mod hypocrisy.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Mon Sep 12, 16:07 2016

Damn! Good thing you're not a mod. I quite enjoy spacefem, I would consider being banned a significant loss. Where does it say that misandry is against the rules?

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Mon Sep 12, 16:23 2016

Oh yes, obviously very repressed.

Nech

Postby Nech » Tue Sep 13, 12:29 2016

There's very specific nerves that have to be damaged (or it basically has to be botched) to affect sex life though. Otherwise one can still lead a very happy/prolific sex life.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Tue Sep 13, 12:35 2016

Nech wrote:There's very specific nerves that have to be damaged (or it basically has to be botched) to affect sex life though. Otherwise one can still lead a very happy/prolific sex life.

That's bullshit, you lose 20,000 erogenous nerve endings in the foreskin itself and the glans keratinizes so you lose those nerves as well. I've had sex with circumcised males, they don't feel anything where they should. It's all about using massive amounts of lube and working the shaft.

Nech

Postby Nech » Tue Sep 13, 13:52 2016

Angelica wrote:That's bullshit, you lose 20,000 erogenous nerve endings in the foreskin itself and the glans keratinizes so you lose those nerves as well. I've had sex with circumcised males, they don't feel anything where they should. It's all about using massive amounts of lube and working the shaft.

That's...totally anecdotal and does not apply to all males. It can still be enjoyable even without "massive amounts of lube and working the shaft". Speaking as a male who doesn't prefer that and having been with several circumcised men in the same boat.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Tue Sep 13, 14:28 2016

I've had sex with both circumcised men, and non-circumcised men and anecdotally I've noticed absolutely no difference in their enjoyment or technique that I would attribute to their foreskin. Which doesn't mean I'd be comfortable circumcising my son but it does make me question anyone else's sweeping generalisations on the subject.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Sep 13, 16:28 2016

To add on to what Taurwen says, there's a normative force to insisting that I "don't feel anything where (I) should." What and how I feel are individual to me, and while I won't get into the specifics of what get me off, they don't match the generalization you give. I get off how I should. I own that. The mere existence of an anecdote should challenge the impulse to generalize.

Many studies corroborate this. Pick a study, and it's a crapshoot whether the circumcised men experience less sexual satisfaction or pleasure, just as much, or more. WIkipedia sums this up in a pithy paragraph, but behind that the number of nerve endings is not a significant measure of sensation or satisfaction in all men. So it's not *just* anecdotal. There's some research out there showing that many men are okay with their circumcision, just as there are some who have health problems as a result of it.

So while I appreciate Angelica's apology, I feel like the substance of it - don't generalize about my sexual experience - has been missed. It's not just that it's "not my fault" that I've been circumcised. It's that I don't even see my being circumcised as a fault. The reason why I don't want to circumcise my future penis-possessing children is that, given the relatively minor benefits and the risks of complication, I don't think my child needs it.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Thu Sep 15, 15:24 2016

I'd like to add to this conversation saying that some men have to become circumcised later in life for health reasons and making them out to be damaged because of it is not very nice of you.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Return to “Polls”