Chaotic Neutral
13%
Chaotic Evil
No votes

Total votes: 15

Neko

D&D alignments

Postby Neko » Tue Sep 13, 1:23 2016

I'm playing D&D with some coworkers now. I've been wanting to play since high school but didn't have the opportunity to get a group together.

We're playing fifth edition which seems beginner-friendly. And that's good because half of us are noobs.

I chose chaotic neutral for my first character because it was the best fit for what I had in mind. It's working well for my wild magic sorcerer bird-person (Aarakocra). He's a jeweler who has an obsession for gems and does anything to get them--I like to picture Abu from Aladdin in those moments.

What kind of characters have you played? Do you favor some archetypes over others?
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

Sonic#

Re: D&D alignments

Postby Sonic# » Tue Sep 13, 4:43 2016

I'm not in a system that picks archetypes, but I usually end up playing somewhere between the Neutral Good/ Lawful Good / Lawful Neutral spectrum. That is, I usually find myself going to that side of True Neutral, picking someone either motivated by a positive purpose or who is fairly mercenary but broadly keeps to the laws and expectations of society.

I'm currently playing what might be described as a Neutral Evil necromancer.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue Sep 13, 5:28 2016

Neko wrote:I'm playing D&D with some coworkers now. I've been wanting to play since high school but didn't have the opportunity to get a group together.

We're playing fifth edition which seems beginner-friendly. And that's good because half of us are noobs.

I chose chaotic neutral for my first character because it was the best fit for what I had in mind. It's working well for my wild magic sorcerer bird-person (Aarakocra). He's a jeweler who has an obsession for gems and does anything to get them--I like to picture Abu from Aladdin in those moments.

What kind of characters have you played? Do you favor some archetypes over others?

I've generally played good characters. Hardest was Lawful Good.

Alignment is a real sticking point for D&D in general. Remember, what you do as a character determines alignment, your alignment should not necessarily determine your actions. Grog from the web series "Critical Role" is a great example of Chaotic Neutral (which often gets played as Chaotic Stupid).

Then there's the whole issue of what the spectrum really means. For me, it's your view of morality (good-evil axis) and how best to achieve it (lawful-chaotic).

Chaotic in this context doesn't mean random, it's means free. A chaotic good character believes people shoule be free from bonds because ot enables them to do the most good. A lawful good character would believe laws are to be used in order to protect those who need protection.

Neutral type characters don't see the need for a divide between "good" and "evil", but will typically act if they see a balance tipping in favor of the other (usually against evil).

Evil characters are in it for themselves.

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Sep 13, 10:35 2016

I think I've played pretty much the whole spectrum but I tend not to play Lawful Good or Lawful Evil more than the others. My favorite character ever I would put in the Chaotic Neutral category, though it wasn't a D&D campaign and we didn't really have alingments per se.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

MFS

Postby MFS » Tue Sep 13, 14:25 2016

Lawful Stupid all the way!

Campaign I am currently running, alignment isn't set by what you write on the paper but by how you play your character. I am tracking it.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Sep 13, 16:13 2016

Just a minor point, Unvoiced Apollo, it sounds like you're explaining to Neko what alignment is. Perhaps other people (including Neko!) read it differently, but without that context it seemed like mansplaining.

What you say I did find useful - esp. the reminder that good roleplay expresses an alignment. I use it as mental shorthand for where I feel the character is. I had a character over the course of a campaign transform from Lawful to Chaotic, as he realized that societal rules in no way allowed him to address the horrors of supernatural elder gods. If I'd maintained strict adherence to being Lawful first, that break wouldn't have been able to happen, producing a different kind of conflict.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Mon Oct 3, 5:01 2016

Sonic# wrote:Just a minor point, Unvoiced Apollo, it sounds like you're explaining to Neko what alignment is. Perhaps other people (including Neko!) read it differently, but without that context it seemed like mansplaining.

What you say I did find useful - esp. the reminder that good roleplay expresses an alignment. I use it as mental shorthand for where I feel the character is. I had a character over the course of a campaign transform from Lawful to Chaotic, as he realized that societal rules in no way allowed him to address the horrors of supernatural elder gods. If I'd maintained strict adherence to being Lawful first, that break wouldn't have been able to happen, producing a different kind of conflict.

I probably was inadvertantly explaining where it didn't need to be.

I got off on a tangent because alignment in any D&D edition has often caused a trouble as there were too many misconceptions and different interpretations at the table about what it meant. I should have been clearer that my point was to make sure that the group agrees what alignment really means (especially if you play a paladin!) as too many players get pigeonholed into it.

Return to “Polls”