What is the optimal amount of art to have in your home?

poll all you want! we love polls!

Moderators: Tweek, Meperidine

How much art do you want to have?

All the art! Fill every surface with tchochkes and every inch of wall space with pictures!
No votes
At least 50% coverage of art. Space to breathe between pieces, but not much space. There should be more art than not-art space!
25%
Maybe 30% art? Every wall should have multiple pictures, every surface should have at least one piece and preferable more!
17%
At least a few pieces in each room! No need to look like a gallery but get something up there, god!
25%
Maybe one or two pieces per room? Curate, curate, curate!
25%
Art is for suckers. Do not allow it into your home.
No votes
All of my pants are wearable art.
8%

Total votes: 12

lillerina

What is the optimal amount of art to have in your home?

Postby lillerina » Sat Jun 10, 12:57 2017

In an ideal world, how much art would you have on your walls? I'm talking photos, prints, images, sculpture, tchochkes, whether made by professional artists or just instagram snaps you had printed, what would your ideal art coverage be, and why?

For a long time, I was kind of in the 'art is for suckers' camp. I had one picture, I liked it, but that was more than enough for me. Now I like to have 2-4 pieces per room, mostly pictures on walls. I'm not a huge fan of dangling crap off of doorknobs and stuff, but some well curated art that is meaningful to me has become something that is important to me.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

antfancier

Re: What is the optimal amount of art to have in your home?

Postby antfancier » Sat Jun 10, 17:35 2017

I like art. When I visit someone's home I'm interested in what art they've chosen to display and I want to know the story behind it. I love when there are little pictures hung in unusual spaces (I had a neighbour who had a picture right next to the toilet, above the toilet paper holder. I have a postcard on the inside of my closet door which I see every time I open it.). What I don't like is when they've bought everything out of a home furnishing store, all generic and matching. It's fine if you buy a random picture you like in TJ Maxx or somewhere, but getting a matching vase and a bowl of straw orbs (or whatever those things are that I see on home improvement shows) just feels really sad to me. Art is supposed to have a meaning to you, otherwise it's just another thing sitting on your shelf that you have to dust.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Jun 10, 18:17 2017

We have a minimum of three pieces of art per room. They aren't necessarily big or expensive, but they're often stuff made by people we've known or have met. At minimum, I want to be able to explain why I value it.
An example - a robot. They've been painted onto a woodblock. I added the yarn because it was a bit I found that was a similar color - I think of it as the robot's hair.

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Sat Jun 10, 18:34 2017

That robot looks cool.

A lot of my art is either art done by family members (I have paintings by my grandmother and my uncle, for example) or given to me as gifts. I have a couple of cross stitched pieces done by my mother or myself. I'd like to piece something using patchwork techniques and frame it at some point, too.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

rowan

Postby rowan » Sat Jun 10, 21:37 2017

I have more art than fits on my walls. I need a tardis-house.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sun Jun 11, 15:21 2017

My desire goes between "no need to look like a gallery" and "need to look like a gallery". In actuality, most of our walls can't take nails.

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Sun Jun 11, 21:40 2017

I like to have my walls at least 50% filled. Every vertical space that could reasonably fit a piece of art on it in my living room has art. I'm a big fan of using tapestries on walls, so the long wall of my living room has two that pretty well fill the space. I have one pretty nice painting that I won at a LGBTQ networking event and the rest were found at garage sales or in piles of things others were throwing out. I make magnets out of band stickers, so my fridge is also very crowded. It's harder to put nails in the walls of my room, so I have just one tapestry and a few small paper posters that just got sticky-tacked up.

I have almost no art that requires a horizontal surface, other than the empty wine and whiskey bottles on the mantle. All other horizontal surfaces are reserved for temporary to semi-permanent storage of mail, keys, household tools, etc.

I love when other people have lots of art. Like looking at someone's bookshelf, I like the insight into a person through what they find appealing enough to put in their living space.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Jun 12, 6:43 2017

rowan wrote:I have more art than fits on my walls. I need a tardis-house.

/\ This

I paint, I frame pictures, I have little ceramic things, I have funkos, I love every surface to have an item that brings me happiness. I could probably decorate two houses with the stuff I have. My husband's more minimalist then me though so it's a problem.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Charli!

Postby Charli! » Thu Jun 22, 13:38 2017

I'd say more than 50% art, some rooms in my house are full to bursting with art. Mostly prints and paintings I have purchased.
[url]uglyteapot.comI am an ugly teapot. That doesn't like tea.[/url]
Pirate Captain Charli Spr0wNotKid

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Sat Jun 24, 13:24 2017

We have maybe one or two paintings per room. I like a lot of blank space. I think it is because my mom's house growing up had a ton of shit and it was just a bit overwhelming. Like she'd do those whole "home interiors" arrangements that had a set of 3 pictures, then a shelf with flowers on it, and then the candle holders hanging just outside the photos. I can't find anything suitably 80s or 90s without looking too hard, but something similar to this:

Or this:

Way too crowded, way too much crap. I hated it.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Jun 26, 15:00 2017

I like some art, but not too much. I generally either make my own art (which I tend to not hang up actually), get given art, or buy it from my local craft store when they have a sale. There's usually some reeeeeally nice stuff there then.

Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon Jun 26, 16:47 2017

A lot, ideally, but I'm picky so our walls are mostly bare.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Jun 27, 7:10 2017

I really like that picture, Nachos
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Tue Jun 27, 9:39 2017

rowan wrote:I really like that picture, Nachos

Thank you! This is a craft store purchase. I love the calm happy colours sky and the angry rough sea underneath. I literally stare at it for hours :)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Wed Jul 5, 10:58 2017

I'ma bit of a cultural expat living in the US, so most of my art revolves around Spanish/Caribbean culture. I have some walls almost fully covered, I have a few bare-ish walls. I have a few pieces of art that got away and I can't bring myself to put anything else in the spot I had picked out for them. The art I failed to get when I had the chance haunts me more than the pleasure I get from the art I do have now. :( I also have some blank spots for some watercolors I want to commission from a talented cousin of mine. But back to your question: It's a matter of whim for me. Whatever feels right.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Return to “Polls”