uninvited house guests

poll all you want! we love polls!

Moderators: Tweek, Meperidine

What do you do with creatures living in your abode uninvited?

Kill
43%
Capture and release
30%
Live and let live
13%
pants
13%

Total votes: 30

melsbells

uninvited house guests

Postby melsbells » Sun Jun 25, 11:58 2017

If my own answer is at all common, this is a terrible poll.

Sonic#

Re: uninvited house guests

Postby Sonic# » Sun Jun 25, 17:15 2017

Relevant questions:
Is it something that belongs outside and wouldn't necessarily want to come inside?
Is it something that makes a bigger mess (and trouble) when killed than when released?
Could it bite me? Someone else?
Could it eat my books or clothes? Could it eat my raisin bran? My banana?
Could it eat other uninvited house guests?
When it dies in the walls, will there be an odor?
Does it spawn profusely?

Ideal answers for letting the guest survive to be released: yes, yes, no, no, yes, no, no.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Jun 25, 18:31 2017

Mostly I kill anything other than spiders which I catch and release. If like a bird or something got inside though that'd be a different story.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Mon Jun 26, 8:00 2017

KILL THEM
I smashed a lot of bugs on my ceiling yesterday. I used to try and let spiders live in hopes they'd take care of the other bugs, but then one crawled in my ear while I was sleeping so now it's war.

Bork

Postby Bork » Mon Jun 26, 9:24 2017

DEATH TO ALL SPIDERS
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Galen

Postby Galen » Mon Jun 26, 10:23 2017

Oh, jeez, we're talking about spiders? I thought we were talking about, you know, people dropping by unannounced. I didn't notice the actual question about creatures...was just responding to the thread title about uninvited house guests. Which, of course, I picked "Kill" for.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Mon Jun 26, 14:16 2017

Silver fish and spiders get a pass. Beetles I generally don't worry about. Haven't had anything bigger to deal with in years (apartment on the 13th floor doesn't lend itself to vermin I guess.)

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Jun 26, 14:41 2017

Capture and release generally.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Postby rowan » Mon Jun 26, 15:05 2017

Depends on the critter but most often kill.
Spiders sometimes get a pass and get released. Sometimes. Unless they look bitey.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Mon Jun 26, 15:15 2017

Taurwen wrote:Silver fish and spiders get a pass. Beetles I generally don't worry about. Haven't had anything bigger to deal with in years (apartment on the 13th floor doesn't lend itself to vermin I guess.)

Whoa whoa whoa. Silverfish?? Why? They're the worst. Do they have some redeeming value I don't know about?
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon Jun 26, 15:17 2017

Galen wrote:Oh, jeez, we're talking about spiders? I thought we were talking about, you know, people dropping by unannounced. I didn't notice the actual question about creatures...was just responding to the thread title about uninvited house guests. Which, of course, I picked "Kill" for.

I snorted at this :P

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Mon Jun 26, 16:53 2017

Enigma wrote:
Taurwen wrote:Silver fish and spiders get a pass. Beetles I generally don't worry about. Haven't had anything bigger to deal with in years (apartment on the 13th floor doesn't lend itself to vermin I guess.)

Whoa whoa whoa. Silverfish?? Why? They're the worst. Do they have some redeeming value I don't know about?

They just don't bother me, I kinda like how they move. I think of them as the pixies of bugs, touch them and the disintegrate into fairy dust.
Mind you, I see one every couple months. If we had real issues with them I might go scorched earth.

Aum

Postby Aum » Tue Jun 27, 15:48 2017

I usually don't do anything unless they are causing problems in the home, like eating food or setting up shop near my bed.

The only things I've been killing lately are wasps. I tried to capture and release one and it stung me. So now I just kill the whole forbiddeness lot of them.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Wed Jun 28, 6:01 2017

Spiders are always welcome to stay (non poisonous around here). I kill silverfish. I hunt down mosquitoes (they come in through our bathroom vent). I try to leave gnats alone until they cross some threshold of population explosion and then I hunt them down. I catch and release, seasonally. If they would die outside, I kill them or try to live with them.

We had mice in the first place we lived in Finland. It wasn't such a big deal when we were home all the time. We kept our food safely packed away and the dog chased them around in the middle of the night unsuccessfully. It was when we spent more time away and would come home to nests in our sweater pockets and a seed cache in the bed that we started to kill them.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Wed Jun 28, 9:40 2017

Oh, additional prescription: is it on me? They don't live.

We had a couple of baby lizards in our bathroom a while back. I haven't seen them lately, but I was a big fan of them, since they could eat the stinkbugs, silverfish, and other critters.

It was when we spent more time away and would come home to nests in our sweater pockets and a seed cache in the bed that we started to kill them.

Wow, that's forward of them. Oh well just make yourselves at home mice!

MFS

Postby MFS » Thu Jun 29, 22:09 2017

I used to think mice were cute. Then some got in the basement. You know what, they are not cute. They are horrible, destructive assholes.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Mon Jul 3, 1:08 2017

I could vote for any of the choices; it just depends on the 'house guest' in question.

If there are mice in the house I'll put traps down to kill them
I tend to try to shoo larger insects out of a window
I ignore spiders unless they are in the bath then I'll pick them up and drop them on the floor
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed Jul 5, 16:12 2017

Our house was infested with mice last year, we called the terminator... One mouse was cute. Finding that they peed on and ripped up all the spare sheets in the back of the cupboard was less cute.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Wed Jul 12, 13:55 2017

I usually put them outside if they belong outside. If a bug breeds quickly and is after my food, like fruit flies, I'll kill occasionally kill them, but mostly make traps so I can release them outside. Spiders can hang out in my house unless I'm not sure if they'll hurt my cat if she tries to eat them. Bugs that bite will be killed.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Thu Jul 13, 3:55 2017

I'm usually one for killing... but since my girls started naming the spiders in the house and then getting upset when they disappear, well, now they've crossed into the realm of 'welcome', haven't they? A lot of them seem to be named 'Lazlo'.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Return to “Polls”