About this forum + suggest a question!

Short simple answers to the questions we see the most

Moderator: Moderators

spacefem

About this forum + suggest a question!

Postby spacefem » Sun Dec 25, 4:24 2011

The purpose of this forum is to collect lots of answers to the most common questions we get about feminism. We used to always have a "read this first" post at the top of Feminism, but it was always needing to be changed, could only really contain one person's perspective, and got to be a really long thread. So we're trying something new and posting the most popular questions as threads in here. More established members get first crack at answering them, and then more of us can fill in.

It's meant to be concise, scannable, and to the point. The subject of each topic is a question, and you can respond with an answer to the question.

If you sort of disagree with another answer that's okay... that's why you can post your own. The reason we're using this format is that it demonstrates the diversity of the feminist movement.

If you totally disagree with another answer, post a new thread in the feminist forum. You can respond with your own answer but you should not respond to not with a debate to counter-attack the other answers - long debates it take away from the simplicity of the thread. Maybe someone nice will reply to your debate thread to clarify for you to help you understand... but do remember, we get a lot of debate requests, and they get a bit repetitive for us, so we might not be that excited about educating you.

If you feel like linking to something to back up your viewpoint, try to link to another thread on this forum. For instance if there was a news story about the justice system being discriminatory, try posting it up as a link in Feminism and letting us all discuss it, and *then* post the link to the thread here. The posts here should really reflect conclusions that we've arrived at in our years of discussion, not brand new stories or food for thought that could make for good other discussion threads.

You may not totally agree with the other answers on the thread. That's okay.

Meperidine

Re: About this forum + suggest a question!

Postby Meperidine » Sun Dec 25, 13:49 2011

Privilege 101?
:heart: and :spacefem:

Neko

Postby Neko » Sun Dec 25, 15:22 2011

"Can men be feminists?"
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Mon Dec 26, 0:48 2011

What about female privilege?
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

monk

Postby monk » Tue Dec 27, 23:40 2011

What is consent? enthusiastic consent? inebriated consent? cultural consent? legal consent?

Hufflepuff

Postby Hufflepuff » Thu Jan 5, 4:04 2012

I'm surprised there's no "What's rape culture?" topic yet. Consider this my suggestion to add it.
Marry hatter ladle limb, itch fleas worse widest snore.
An ever-wear debt Marry win, door lamp worse shorter gore.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Jan 20, 14:14 2012

I'm kind of dancing around a cluster of questions:

How different are males and females?
What is the difference between sex and gender? Is it important?

helium

Postby helium » Fri Jan 20, 18:54 2012

Nameless bodies, in unremembered rooms
Know how a man becomes a beast when the wolfbane blooms

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"

Neko

Postby Neko » Sun Mar 4, 13:34 2012

Why should there be more women in government and STEM fields? Are you sure that women just aren't as interested in those careers?

^ Or some better wording of that.

Yeah, maybe this, but not necessarily specific to STEM? Like there seems to be a general question whenever there's an imbalance of women in a field (usually lucrative or powerful ones), whether that be STEM, CEOs, or politics of "Are women inherently unsuited or disinterested in these areas, or is there some kind of systematic oppression?" Or, as I think is often the case, is systematic oppression causing women to be disinterested in these fields in the first place?
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

helium

Postby helium » Tue May 1, 15:34 2012

I guess this is an MLP, but I stumbled over this today and it seems like a decent "starter-kit" style article with answers to some of the crap we get.

Nameless bodies, in unremembered rooms
Know how a man becomes a beast when the wolfbane blooms

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"

kelsa

Postby kelsa » Tue May 1, 16:23 2012

Can we make it so people with less than X number of posts can't post to these threads? I've split off two or three posts of incoherent nonesense from here. I guess its not a huge deal, but if this is supposed to be sort of an array of the opinions of the forum, Weird Troll Person with 11 nonsensical posts isn't really needed.
I could paint you in the dark
cause I've studied you with hunger
like a work of art

monk

Postby monk » Sun Sep 2, 21:03 2012

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Jan 11, 3:26 2013

It's 3am so maybe this needs a different wording for a question, but I'd like to see us address the "what is a 'nice guy'" (with quotes) thing so we don't have to repeat it all the time in all the threads.

LonePakistani

Postby LonePakistani » Fri Mar 22, 9:32 2013

Can you please make a topic about: "What is rape?"

I seem to be out of touch on this topic and everyone seems to be talking about something whilst I'm talking about something else. I am aware of the legal and the simple definitions of rape, however.

lovernotafighter

Postby lovernotafighter » Wed May 22, 21:35 2013

I wonder if there can be a topic on "Why choose a child-less life?" I would think that this can be a feminist issue, as it has to do with women's bodies and ownership of them? Thank you!
"An individuals value is greater than their capacity to contribute to society." -Monk
A dream is only a dream, if you do not believe it will come true. :)

rowan

Postby rowan » Thu May 23, 7:19 2013

I think that discussion (whether or not to have children, and the stigma that comes from choosing not to) is a great topic for feminism forum, but probably not in the Feminist FAQ.

tomokun

Postby tomokun » Thu May 23, 9:47 2013

Something that might be really helpful for non-feminists like me would be an "Antifeminist claims and responses". Of course some of those points are already answered, such as "What about men's rights", but for someone like myself, I'm not entirely sure what might classify an argument as "antifeminist" short of, "Hurr de hurr, feminists are just man-hating lesbians".

I know that there are certainly arguments which question the validity of the feminist perspective, and while some ARE patently antifeminist, some of them seem perfectly valid from within the feminist perspective. A thread which clarifies what antifeminist claims are and addresses them seems like it would be a useful resource for the forum.

lovernotafighter

Postby lovernotafighter » Thu May 23, 20:10 2013

Didn't realize I could start a new topic. Sorry!
"An individuals value is greater than their capacity to contribute to society." -Monk
A dream is only a dream, if you do not believe it will come true. :)

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Fri May 31, 8:15 2013

Some sort of topic addressing historical misconceptions...maybe that's more of a 101 than a FAQ, but the two big ones that come to mind:
1. women have always worked. The things that have changed are which women and in what fields.
2. Bra burning didn't happen. (I mean, it might have, but the famous picture with the trash can outside the Miss America pageant? No fire was involved)

I'm sure there are more that aren't quite as prevalent.

Mathmo

Postby Mathmo » Sat Jun 1, 8:08 2013

Adding to octarineoboe's suggestion, maybe "3. Women have always fought" ? (inspired by this blog post http://www.sfwa.org/2013/05/guest-post- ... narrative/)

metawidget

Postby metawidget » Sat Feb 28, 9:49 2015

How about an intersectionality topic?

T/J

Postby T/J » Wed Jun 10, 3:31 2015

i have heard the stereotype that all Feminists care about are definitions like for example:
"I'm a third wave lipstick queer feminist student activist and i often clash with my second midwave butch bra burning mother, and my firstwave suffragette grandmother" I don't really think feminists really fight that much about definitions but i havn't heard a feminist critic about this claim.

programme33r

Postby programme33r » Sat Aug 29, 15:33 2015

metawidget

Postby metawidget » Sat Aug 29, 16:13 2015

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Aug 29, 16:57 2015

^ And there is nothing that prevents someone from picking a point raised in one of the replies and making a new topic in Feminism on it. In fact, that could be very interesting, since the format here prefers the short general answer over the fuller or situational answer.

Return to “Feminist FAQ”