Business cards

Moderator: Zeph

Nachos

Business cards

Postby Nachos » Thu Jan 7, 12:40 2016

I need some business cards... to drum up some business. I'm currently not working for a company and when I freelance it would be so much nicer to have something to give out instead of having to rip out a notebook page and write down my email address.

Since I'm not working for a company I don't need a logo or a title, I just need something with my name, contact details and an idea of what I do. Since I do many different things, this is going to be slightly challenging. I also want something colourful, because, not boring. My friend and I were talking and she was against all colour and wants me to get something minimalist (inspiration from here: http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/minimal-business-cards)

What are your opinions? Is it unprofessional to have colour fun on business cards? What do you have?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

melsbells

Re: Business cards

Postby melsbells » Thu Jan 7, 13:20 2016

When you said minimal, I couldn't help but think of this scene from American Psycho. Actually, as soon as I saw the title, I thought of that scene. Comparitively, I don't think your inspiration link is all that minimal. I thought a lot of them were really colorful, which gives me no idea as to what you mean by wanting something more colorful so as to be less boring. You just want your information to be to the point and really easy to read. If you can accomplish that with the color/fun you want, I would say that's professional.

monk

Postby monk » Thu Jan 7, 15:12 2016

I agree, color is not bad, little cartoon kitties and balloons are bad.

I would really use color like you would in a presentation, to emphasize something (like a particular skill, or your name). And threre's also using color for subtext, like if your customer base was LBGT community having the rainbow on your card (even if it's subtle) would be a thing you might do. Or if it's tech, a picture of a laptop etc.

And business cards are pretty cheap, you don't have to have just one, I have a friend in Sales who has three, each taylored to a different product he sells and he just gives out the appropriate one to the appropriate customer.
Also, just because your card says "I fix computers" doesn't mean you can't verbally tell your potential customer that you also do windows and walk dogs.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Jan 7, 16:09 2016

Color is great if the colors are well-selected. That is, do they coordinate well? Do they contribute to the visual appeal of your card? And how does it brand you? I've got boring business cards right now, but they're institutional, so they work. I'll use two other examples.

For instance, there's a talented and prolific digital media rhetorician who has designed her own business cards. She thinks a lot about branding, and her field isn't the most traditional. From what I heard in a presentation she gave, she wanted to (a) stand out and (b) not be standoffish. So she started experimenting with motifs, with color, with font, with placement. She ended up with a number of mock-ups: some fairly traditional, some way out there. This was one she ended up with. Flamingo motif, a bit of pink, and some funky orientation.

My partner had business cards made for her fibercrafting. It depicted yarn to frame the main text - as I recall, the dominant colors were blues and greens with a pink offset. It worked. :D

I think what works in each of these cases is some focus of design behind some part of what they do.

rowan

Postby rowan » Thu Jan 7, 16:24 2016

even my boring institutional cards have *some* color on them.

I'd just browse through vistaprint and see what kinds of things you like.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Fri Jan 8, 20:29 2016

melsbells wrote:When you said minimal, I couldn't help but think of this scene from American Psycho. Actually, as soon as I saw the title, I thought of that scene.

Me too! I wanted to post that scene too, but you beat me to it.

I think color is good, as long as it's not too overpowering. I recently received a business card and the background was red with weird circular shapes. It made it kinda hard to focus on what was written. Also the back of the card was plain white (obviously didn't want to pay the printing cost of two sides), which I think is pretty boring. I knew a woman who had 'personal' business cards like you and on the back she printed macro photos she had taken so that at first glance they looked like patterns. I think she had 4 or 5 different photos so she ended up with 4 or 5 variations of business cards that she could use.

Rainbow Dolphins

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Fri Jan 8, 23:08 2016

I think color is fine and probably helps people remember you. Just make sure it's recognizable and classy and I think you're good. Mine are a purple and black color scheme on a white card.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!

Return to “Careers & Education”