Setting goals with metrics- anyone have tips?

Moderator: Zeph

Zorpisuttle

Setting goals with metrics- anyone have tips?

Postby Zorpisuttle » Thu Jan 14, 21:13 2016

Hi everyone! It's slightly awkward to just appear out of the blue like this, but I miss crowdsourcing advice from you guys.

So basically, I just got elected to the top leadership position in the local chapter of my professional organization. For context, we run a variety of programming at least once every month for our members, and the overall thrust of programming is helping our members develop their skills/careers and giving them opportunities to contribute to the field.

My vice-chair and I hashed out a draft of this year's goals together and ran it past most of the team, and the feedback we got was 'this objective/tasks structure is pretty good, but we need metrics'. They're right, but I feel like I'm pulling numbers out of my butt whenever I try to make up metrics for goals.

I'm trying to strike a balance between "what we did last year" (which we don't always have precise numbers for, although for the most part this chapter is great on documentation) and stuff that will stretch us a little, because we're in a ridiculously strong position this year. But we're also adding new goals, so just upping numbers from last year by a percentage (also, what percentage????) won't make sense for everything. So what do I do in situations where there aren't numbers to build off of, besides say we're going to get a baseline this year?

Has anyone been in a situation like this before, or just had to do metrics-with-goals for performance reviews? I'm looking for rules of thumb, metrics that turned out to be a terrible idea, metrics that were totally appropriate...
Don't make me unlock my word-hoard on you.

MFS

Re: Setting goals with metrics- anyone have tips?

Postby MFS » Fri Jan 15, 19:18 2016

do you have any historical data to look for trends? If not, only basing things on last year may be kinda awkward.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Sat Jan 16, 14:58 2016

Oh that's right I was going to reply to this!

Do you do surveys of your membership to see how they're liking the events? That would provide some metrics.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

iamthegate

Postby iamthegate » Sun Jan 17, 10:38 2016

I think it greatly depends on what you're measuring. I would say, set goals on what you can actually do and not what us the result of what you do. For example, you can set goals on the amount of events you organize, or how much and what kind of promotion you will do, but not in the number of people that come to your event, if that makes any sense.

rowan

Postby rowan » Mon Jan 18, 9:54 2016

I'm on vacay right now without wifi but if you want to run survey stuff by me I'd be happy to look at it when I get back later this week
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Return to “Careers & Education”