Office policies

Moderator: Zeph

Nachos

Office policies

Postby Nachos » Wed Apr 6, 11:01 2016

I'm curious. My office has been bought out and we're moving soon to a new space with new people. I work a desk job with minimal client interaction (I answer phones occasionally) and generally wear what I want as do the other people who work in my office.

Now that we're moving, is there a reason to not be able to listen to music with earphones? Is there a reason (when not interacting with clients) why one should not wear excitingly coloured nail varnish? My colleague always wants to do the right thing and has been telling me these are now things we cannot do in the work place.

What are you experiences with this?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Re: Office policies

Postby rowan » Wed Apr 6, 11:05 2016

My hair is blue and purple so....

I guess what I'd say is I don't see why not. Why on earth should that matter now, vs when it didn't before? Unless the new company explicitly has statements about not doing that.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Aum

Postby Aum » Wed Apr 6, 11:28 2016

Your colleague? Well who cares what they think. If it's not an edict from your boss then I would just keep doing what you're doing.

Non-customer service jobs can get away with a lot more and that's why I like them!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Wed Apr 6, 15:22 2016

Yeah, unless there's specific rules from the new company, there's no reason to change anything. Maybe your colleague is worried about fitting in with the new people you'll be working with? Have they seen the new co-workers and are they more 'professional'?

I have a friend who was let go from a creative/design job right out of college for 'listening to music' and 'unprofessional dress'. The real reason I think was because she had a regional accent which the stuck up boss thought was uneducated.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Apr 6, 17:49 2016

I've seen silly policies like that before. Sometimes offices like to maintain a professional feel? Even if no clients are usually there to see. It doesn't really make sense but it's very common. I'd say directly ask your boss if this actually is a new policy you need to watch out for or just your coworker applying their own standards.

Sadly my job is occasionally client or member facing so I dress up as a professional office worker always. :( Gotta say though people here wear loud nail polish a fair amount and occasionally wear headphones. I have heard of people at other companies who were fired for defying a no headphone rule though so watch out.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Wed Apr 6, 19:10 2016

I'll agree with others. There may be two things going on.

One is official policies on the books, and that seems pretty well addressed.

The other thing I've noticed is work culture more generally. Offices tend to have unwritten expectations that you look or behave a certain way, and those expectations can be less or more restrictive. I usually don't notice it unless I'm actually working there or if I'm around their office a lot. In a tutoring center this can encompass:

What you can do when you don't tutor
What tools and spaces you use when you do tutor
The level of personal chat with colleagues
Whether I'm dressed in a t-shirt (to be more personable with students) or a collared shirt and slacks (to be more professional)*

* And yeah, my clothing choices are less scrutinized by students and administrators compared to many women's, so there's that concerning things like nail varnish.

monk

Postby monk » Thu Apr 7, 11:47 2016

Customer facing is an issue, does this new office space have visible customer interaction even if you're not the one doing it?
Your employer should give you a written notice of the companies dress policy. Bright nail varnish would fall under the category of "excessive make-up/cosmetics". If that's not stated specifically in the policy than wear whatever nail varnish makes you happy. Earphones? If you can still hear colleages when they speak to you and hear the phone you're answering I don't see an issue as long as it doesn't impede your job. But some companies are weird and usually are very open to telling you what their weirdness is, so do what you do and wait for someone in authority to say something. Your colleage is not who you need to listen to.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Thu Apr 7, 19:34 2016

It does bother me when people have earbuds up so loud you can't get their attention without physical contact. when you're yelling their name and they're oblivious to the world.

but not being able to wear earphones at all? that's the sign of an office run by hopelessly out of touch old people, sorry to say it.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Tue Apr 12, 10:51 2016

I've not actually received anything from the new company about the rules and regs there, so we're all just guessing. I don't even know what my work times are since I'm only a part-timer. I'm still waiting on news of two days off I've requested, even though I'm not sure I would even be scheduled to be working those days. It all seems quite unprofessional.

We went to the office two months ago and met people and they seemed to be all wearing office casual, but then they were also all older. I think there were only two people under 50 there.

I like listening to audiobooks and podcasts at work, at my current office this is no big deal since if someone comes talk to me I pull them out. No idea what it will be like there...

ruthoc46

Postby ruthoc46 » Thu Apr 21, 23:33 2016

Hi,
I am new here from Boston and just wondering about my dress as its my 1st interview in the company. Do you think that the skirt or long dress will look professional. Although its a designer job but I think I must be in a professional dress, what you say?
If you are unable to decide, what to wear? then go something different at trendy style http://www.thetrendystyle.com/ women dresses for every occasion!

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Apr 22, 8:53 2016

I would go with whatever industry standard is for you. I've interviewed in jeans and a t-shirt (and got the job) and I've interviewed in full business suit (and got that job). Really depends TBH.

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Sun Apr 24, 14:57 2016

Aum wrote:Your colleague? Well who cares what they think. If it's not an edict from your boss then I would just keep doing what you're doing.

Non-customer service jobs can get away with a lot more and that's why I like them!

^this. I mean if the sound is affecting them then I'd say leave the headphones off. I doubt they can hear your music through your headphones and picky office rules like that are silly.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Mon Apr 25, 15:00 2016

Do what you want. If you are too much of a rule follower and too predictable you are easier to control. That's why independent people who keep to themselves can really make it in this world PURPLE RAIN!!!!

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed Apr 27, 19:34 2016

Update, new job has let me go before I can even start. So screw them anyway. They also did it in a super sneaky way that wasn't official so I can't even bring a letter to the jobcenter and crap. Good thing my old bosses are amazing and they've sorted it and they've now officially fired me starting from beginning of next month so I get another months paycheck. Woooo!

rowan

Postby rowan » Thu Apr 28, 18:43 2016

Wow, jerks. :( Glad your old bosses are amazing.

Return to “Careers & Education”