Weirdest thing boss has told you.

Moderator: Zeph

Nachos

Weirdest thing boss has told you.

Postby Nachos » Wed May 25, 4:53 2016

So, just started a new job.... it's for a private tour company, so if you're travelling anywhere and want a private tour, let me know ;)

It was my 4th day there yesterday and at the morning meeting I was told (not to be late, ahem), not to be so fast in answering emails, and to not take my own initiative. This is literally the opposite of what other companies ask for from their employees.

So, what are your stories?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

melsbells

Re: Weirdest thing boss has told you.

Postby melsbells » Thu May 26, 16:03 2016

My first job was as a cashier. A customer came back accusing me of short changing them. I got my boss and the customer was given the change demanded. Then to keep my drawer from being short changed my boss told me to print off duplicate receipts of customers with large orders so to claim overcharges. I must have been stupid, or just too shocked from the confrontation, because at the time I didn't realize how illegal that was. I went with the excuse that it was less hassle than filling out a theft report for $30. A few years after I left that job, the boss was convicted of embezzlement.

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Thu May 26, 16:33 2016

My boss specifically told me to answer the phone if he and my coworker were out of the office, and then when I did the question was apparently a political minefield I was too new to know about, and he sort of scolded me for trying to handle it (although my intention had never been to deal with it myself - I wanted to find out from the caller what they wanted, and then take that to my boss).

This is also my first archives job, and my boss likes labeling things in ink, which is fine in my day-to-day work life but when I started to read a bit in the archival blogosphere I realized very quickly it is NOT standard archival practice.

Weirdest non-work-related boss conversation was when he had to go to a meeting at his son's school because they were gonna do sex ed soon, and my boss told me about how he was hoping at least one parent would make a scene. Looking back on it I guess the conversation itself wasn't really about sex, but I still found it uncomfortable.

Isabella357

Postby Isabella357 » Mon Jun 6, 13:44 2016

I worked as a financial analyst and planner for a larger, very well known company (*cough*Watson*cough) and when I got a promotion, one of the guys I worked with started acting creepier than usual. He sent me angry e-mails about how I needed to dress more feminine and that I needed to lose my baby weight faster (this is the same guy that told me that my pregnancy wasn't attractive to him). He had also sent angry text messages to the other girl in our department about her attractiveness being distracting and her fault for causing him to think about her during the time he worked there, but she saw how management responded to me and chose to just keep it quiet. I started to avoid him as a result of his creepy and inappropriate behavior and he got really upset and told management that I was going to lunch with our other male coworkers and not including him. I was told that I needed to start including him and to accept his lunch invitations. I flat out refused. When management suggested that we all sit down and talk about his hurt feelings and allow him to share his thoughts with me, I took a week of vacation and said I would work from home if they tried to force me to talk to him about non work related issues. His behavior continued to get worse. He sent messages to all my other male co-workers (which was about 98% of them) telling them to watch out for pretty girls in the office because they will ruin men and even started driving by my house. One day after he skipped one of his meetings to sit directly behind me and breathe on my neck during an event with literally hundreds of open seats far away from me, I told management it had gotten worse. However, they said it was my own fault for not trying to be his friend. I ended up quitting that job because of exactly this and they made me train him as my replacement. I was also never given an exit interview to share these concerns although it is standard. He got the promotion that he wanted and won.

Well, sort of. When the other girl got promoted after I left, he freaked out and started the e-mail and text rampage with the female manager just as he had done with me and the other girl. Funny that the same female manager that thought I should just deal with the 6 months of harassment and try to just do what he is asking only lasted a week before he was fired. Also, my new job pays 10K a year more, pays bonuses, is in my home state closer to family, and my health insurance went from over $700 a month to $108 for better coverage. Thank goodness for sexual harassment and incompetent managers.

Nerd1987

Postby Nerd1987 » Mon Jun 6, 22:23 2016

Yeah sometimes when you are new they don't want you to worry about process improvement. I always say there is more than one motivation for every choice someone makes and most of the time there is an ego defense mechanism at play

At a previous job when the store was slow the cashiers weren't allowed to do side work because of a union contract so we had to stand around doing nothing (before smart phones).

Return to “Careers & Education”