LinkedIn

Moderator: Zeph

Nachos

LinkedIn

Postby Nachos » Wed Dec 7, 15:23 2016

Does anyone actually use this? My brother sold me on it a while ago but he works in social media and I... don't. I've just gone and updated my profile to include my last job. I don't reeeeally know what else to do with it!

Do others here use it? How do you use it? Have you had results using it?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Re: LinkedIn

Postby rowan » Wed Dec 7, 16:30 2016

Uhhhh like I have an account? Heh
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Wed Dec 7, 17:48 2016

Hehehe, just "connected" with you ;)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Dec 7, 19:28 2016

haha I wonder if I can remember my login even... lol :)

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Wed Dec 7, 19:28 2016

I have an account but I basically never use it. However I did use it to track down the name of someone for addressing a cover letter (I heard about the job through a staffing agency and I was trying to address it to the person I'd actually be working with) and he noticed and remembered that I looked at his profile. Also, I got the job. I don't know what the relationship is between these two facts.

There was actually an Ask A Manager letter today about LinkedIn! it's #2 here.

kitkatkar

Postby kitkatkar » Wed Dec 7, 22:51 2016

Linkedin is a great network for building connections, convenient for me to update my resume, and to find jobs. But then again I use Glassdoor for job searching :P

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Thu Dec 8, 5:57 2016

I've been wondering about this, too. Is anyone here involved in recruiting and actually uses LinkedIn to find candidates? Or maybe they use it for unofficial verification?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Postby rowan » Thu Dec 8, 14:27 2016

I have heard people say they at least look at it? And one time I was talking with a friend about maybe trying to apply for some stuff and she immediately looked at mine and said "whoa girl you need to fix/update this"

Which uh, I didn't do.

rinn

Postby rinn » Thu Dec 8, 16:08 2016

Although I do have a LinkedIn account, I haven't updated it for awhile...I've tried to use it for connections/networking, but most of the people in my league of work don't have accounts.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Fri Dec 9, 15:01 2016

A friend got an account after some of his coworkers go head hunted via LinkedIn. I don't think it worked for him. A few other friends use it almost exclusively as a nice place to keep an up-to-date CE. I'm really reluctant to join anything ever, so I really have no idea how it works.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sat Dec 10, 10:07 2016

I've had recruiters contact me through it. I think of it as an online resume/Facebook for work people doing only work things.

Post some skills and your work history. Add everyone you've ever worked with. Endorse some skills on other people's pages so that they might do the same to you.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nech

Postby Nech » Sat Dec 10, 11:23 2016

I know a person or two who got head hunted on it. It depends on what people are looking for and such.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

MFS

Postby MFS » Sun Dec 11, 11:58 2016

I have an account on linkedin - it is not valuable at all.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

DeepThink

Postby DeepThink » Mon Dec 12, 13:46 2016

I've used LinkedIn to source names and titles for cover letters on resumes. I also check to see who else someone is "linked" to and see if there's any way I can network with people in a similar industry. I also like comparing qualifications for job applications and to help me make sure I'm on the right track.

I think it's okay, but you do have fake profiles trying to get you to link to them which is something I find annoying and is a form of phishing. It is useful but I've never bought into the "premium" account since there's not much more I think I could get from it.

Personally I find that networking face-to-face is far more effective along with a followup through email, text, or phone call is better and it weeds out phonies pretty quickly. Do the research and go to a few conventions and you'll connect with a lot more people and be able to spot phonies in real time.

Nae

Postby Nae » Tue Dec 27, 20:43 2016

I have one, but I don't really do anything with it. It's nice to have connections from uni or work I wouldn't have on facebook though.

Return to “Careers & Education”