Harassment in the Workplace training

Moderator: Zeph

DarkOne

Harassment in the Workplace training

Postby DarkOne » Mon Jun 5, 13:17 2017

Last edited by DarkOne on Mon Jun 5, 17:26 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Nachos

Re: Harassment in the Workplace training

Postby Nachos » Mon Jun 5, 13:37 2017

I've worked in small places so far and no. No training, no comments about what to do if one is harassed, just a mention in the contract that bullying is not ok.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Mon Jun 5, 17:21 2017

No, when we're hired we have to read a book about how welcoming the company considers itself so any assholery will not be tolerated. But similarly, the things they write about are so outdated. I didn't even recognize a couple of the terms used in the examples, so it's probably only been token updated (adding sexual orientation and things like that) in the last 30 years.

rowan

Postby rowan » Mon Jun 5, 18:58 2017

I've had training before but not at my current place. A couple of thoughts on training:
1) the obvious stuff is, sadly, not as obvious as one might think and I have heard (and dealt with) some real serious bullshit in the workplace. I agree it's harmful to have the obvious stuff the ONLY stuff but we still need it.
2) we REALLY SUPER NEED training on the subtle crap, subconscious biases, and some serious actual real equity training (but it will never happen where I am)

In terms of raising issues... power differentials are a thing. I have had raising issues get me fired. Oh but of course it wasn't called that, no no, certainly not. Wouldn't want to leave open the ability to sue. (I probably should have talked to a lawyer anyway)
In my current job, I raise issues anyway but I do pick battles, and it depends on with whom and how much energy I have right then. If I were better I'd do it every time but that's just so exhausting.

Yorkshirebear

Postby Yorkshirebear » Tue Jun 6, 7:26 2017

I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. - Neil Gaiman

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Jun 6, 9:30 2017

Ileen Kotter

Postby Ileen Kotter » Tue Jun 13, 22:21 2017

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Jun 13, 22:27 2017

Lots of workplaces just have mandatory training with vague hopes that it'll prevent things.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Wed Jun 14, 4:24 2017

geldofc

Postby geldofc » Fri Jul 21, 3:57 2017

i do appreciate any sexual harassment training a job i've had has provided, but i've worked in toxic environments that give out crumbs as far as that goes. i actually feel like it helps a little even if it is not well orchestrated. haha.

i definitely pick and choose my battles when i demonstrate issues of harassment and sexism, based on my mental health and fatigue. i get fatigued and feel overextended a lot even though i'm not doing much.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Keen

Postby Keen » Thu Jul 27, 9:06 2017

There will always be harrasment and no way to stop it, I recommend ignoring them, if it becomes physical report it as assault to the police

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Thu Jul 27, 12:23 2017

You seem pretty keen on the status quo. Is there no value in bettering situations/things?

Return to “Careers & Education”