What career should you have?

Moderator: Zeph

rowan

What career should you have?

Postby rowan » Wed Jun 21, 15:32 2017

So I've been talking for years about quitting and I'm going to do it after this class I'm teaching. No idea what's next but I think it will be ok. Science twitter asked a while ago, "if you weren't a scientist what would you do", and I said carpentry. I've enjoyed building stuff. IDK though we'll see.

So I decided that in addition to our spacefem quiz on (aerospace, environmental or mechanical) I might play with a few more just for fun. tells me I should be a Biologist or Engineer or Pilot (hee!) or architect or criminal investigator.

Anyone know other fun ones to take? What job should/would you be doing, if you weren't doing what you are doing?

Taurwen

Re: What career should you have?

Postby Taurwen » Wed Jun 21, 18:49 2017

It's telling me to be an entomologist or psychologist. Both would be cool. Right now I'm just in a customer service type job. I'd be pretty happy doing just about anything else. Hoping to go back to school next year. After I get my degree I either want to go on and get my PhD and be a professor, or if my grades aren't good enough, I'll go to college to become a vet tech.

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Wed Jun 21, 20:04 2017

it tells me to be a psychologist, or educator. But both of those would require more school, which I don't want to pursue at the moment.

Nech

Postby Nech » Wed Jun 21, 22:34 2017

I should be an Arts Director apparently. I love these neat little tests.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

lillerina

Postby lillerina » Thu Jun 22, 7:07 2017

Criminal investigator, apparently. Or a harp instructor, pottery artist, baker, gourmet or accounts manager. I'm looking into moving into accounts-based fields, actually, which is pretty interesting.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Thu Jun 22, 15:51 2017

I had a difficult time deciding on answers for the quiz. The first time, I got electrical engineer, and a bunch of stuff I'm certain I would hate/have no interest in/be terrible at such as advising other people. I took it again and got botonist. As it is, I have an interview on Monday or Tuesday (whenever I feel like coming in) for a job in which I might not get paid, but hopefully learn to speak better. Not the career I should have, but maybe it will help me get there.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Jun 23, 1:12 2017

Entomologist, psychologist, auditor, technology director. I think they represent a combination of being able to work independently and an interest in research or analysis. According to the quiz, that makes me a bug person. :)

I agree with you, mels - the questions for that quiz were difficult to parse or choose between. In a few cases, I wanted to split my response to the question. Still interesting.

If I find a good quiz, I'll let you know rowan.

Skeezy

Postby Skeezy » Fri Jun 23, 9:56 2017

Im a supervisor/manager at a warehouse but I would have loved to have been a pro gamer.

I used to be really good at fighting games. I still am pretty good although I dont spend time playing anywhere near as much. I sometimes fantasize if I had been born a tad later and the internet was as widespread as it is now. Could I have fought my way to the top so that the company would invite me to tournaments and get sponserships etc. I imagine myself in a guy named Daigo's shoes. This kid had a moment in history and is actually one of the most famous gamers ever. This was his moment that I fantasize was me. Been playing Street Fighter since I was, 7?8? Somewhere in there.

https://youtu.be/JzS96auqau0

What he did was considered very difficult. He set a new standard though. He won somewhere betweeen 10-30k and sealed his spot pretty much for every future paid tournament around the world. He is also heavily sponserd.

Return to “Careers & Education”