let's list our favorite children's books

Moderator: melsbells

user42

let's list our favorite children's books

Postby user42 » Fri Jul 31, 21:08 2015

This is a perpetual topic. It won't ever be locked and you can reply to it even if it hasn't had replies in a while.

This thread is for picture books that are fun to read to little kids.

Sonic#

Re: let's list our favorite children's books

Postby Sonic# » Sat Aug 1, 8:03 2015

The Hobbit, Harry Potter, and The Animorphs.

Or when I was really young, The Pokey Little Puppy, and this one book at the dentist's about making too much popcorn.

ladyhawk

Postby ladyhawk » Sat Aug 1, 8:26 2015

My favorite ones to read to the baby birds are Happy Birthday to You!, The Giving Tree, I Love You Stinky Face and Where the Wild Things Are.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Sat Aug 1, 8:53 2015

Our favorite read alouds right now:

berenstain bears spooky old tree
More bears!
A Pet For Petunia (adorable book about a little girl who loves skunks)
Down on the Farm - good rhythm book for the toddler
Pete the cat and his groovy buttons
pigeon wants a puppy

And anything by sandra boynton but the best is "not the hippopotamus"

My favorite little baby book was "global babies" - both my babies loved pictures of faces and babies so now it's my go to gift book. I also love the "that's not my..." series with textures. "That's not my pirate" has a girl pirate and that's pretty kick ass :)

I'll be adding more I'm sure, we read a ton and I have to keep changing a lot to keep myself sane lol
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sat Aug 1, 11:55 2015

For younger kids I loved the Stephen Cosgrove serendipity books when I was a kid. They're very honest about bad situations while using woodland creatures to difuse it.

I also loved Zoom Away by Tim Wynne-Jones.

If we get into chapter books for kids this is going to be a long list.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Sat Aug 1, 12:01 2015

Okay, I deleted a few posts so we could narrow the topic a bit to little kid books.

Sonic# wrote:Or when I was really young, The Pokey Little Puppy

have you reread that one lately? It's kinda sad. and the pokey little puppy loses out in the end. and people don't restrict whole meals from their offspring as punishments anymore.

ladyhawk

Postby ladyhawk » Sat Aug 1, 15:53 2015

Oh, I also really like Mercer Mayer's Little Critter books, and the The Cat In The Hat Knows A Lot About That series.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Sat Aug 1, 17:20 2015

ladyhawk wrote:...The Giving Tree...

You know this book consistently makes both the Most Liked Children's Books and Least Liked Children's Books lists?

I'm on the least liked camp... That kid/dude/old man was a narcissistic asshole and the tree needs self-esteem. They both need a shrink.

I'm a Potterhead, too. For my 2 yr old, I like the Audrey Wood/Don Wood books (Quick as a Cricket, The Big Hungry Bear, ...) she likes The Little Engine That Could and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

We have the 1930s Watty Piper version of The Little Engine That Could, and I noticed that the broken down engine is referred to as "she", the too important passenger train, the too busy freight train and the too tired old train who decline to help the broken down train are all referred to as "he", and the little switcher train (the little engine that could) was a "she"... Coincidence? Intentional? Early feminist book? Who knows, but I found it interesting. Does anyone else own a different version, and if so, did the author gender the trains similarly?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

ladyhawk

Postby ladyhawk » Sat Aug 1, 17:35 2015

Okay, so I'm going to try to respond to that without being super defensive...since I love that book, and since I fairly certain you didn't intend your post to be all, "I hate that book, you're stupid!"

I guess that's one way to look at it, certainly. And I definitely see your point.

I think the reason I, personally, love it so much is because it is one of the few books my biological mother used to read to me when I was little, and it was one of the ONLY books I actually owned as a child. It has a special place in my heart because of that. Additionally, when I think about it, she kind of reminds me of the tree. (Admittedly, the tree in the story was unnecessarily selfless.) When I was 15, things were...pretty shitty at home. Without getting into a lot of sobby-backstory here, there was parental abuse (my father) and substance abuse (again, my father) and, my mother, not being the strongest woman in the world, didn't know how she could get me out of that situation other than to surrender me for adoption by another family through the foster system. So, that's what she did. Which, you know, was pretty selfless, when you think about it.

That being said, I definitely get your point. The boy used the tree, and the tree let him do it. So...I guess sitting from the perspective, I would get why someone would hate this book.
Last edited by ladyhawk on Sun Aug 2, 7:56 2015, edited 1 time in total.

rowan

Postby rowan » Sat Aug 1, 19:43 2015

Sadie the Airmail Pilot

and probably a ton more but seriously the kid has 8 shelves of books so... I'd have to look.

Can we do a most hated children's books too? Because I could totally rant on a bunch.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

ohbonobogirl

Postby ohbonobogirl » Sun Aug 2, 9:49 2015

Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. Great for reading out loud and for emerging readers.
The Monster at the End of the Book with Grover
I collect Newberry medal winners and am workingon on the Caldecott medalists for my little guy.
Ultimately, though, as long as kiddos are reading, I'm happy.

ladyhawk

Postby ladyhawk » Sun Aug 2, 19:09 2015

I loved The Stinky Cheese Man as a child, and my four year old loves it now, but looking at those illustrations as an adult...*shudders*

That's the stuff of nightmares, right there.

BRCourtney

Postby BRCourtney » Sun Aug 9, 22:12 2015

My favorite book to have read to me as a kid was this big illustrated edition of the hobbit my dad had- really big, coffee table book sized.

I am now on a quest to buy that edition (without paying a fortune that it commonly goes for online) to read to my kid when they are old enough to enjoy it- I was into it around age 5. Unfortunately my sister has claimed my dad's copy.

geerlady

Postby geerlady » Mon Aug 10, 21:22 2015

I really like the Dinah Mack series, including "Mommy, Where are You?" and "Daddy, Look What I Can Do!" with the combination of photos and illustrations of animals, and lift the flaps: http://www.amazon.com/Dinah-Mack/e/B00M ... 002&sr=1-2

My little guy loves them. We discovered them when he was about one. I liked that they had the actual animal photos, as I was a bit concerned that most of his books had animal illustrations that didn't really look very much like the real animals (Sandra Boynton books, for example) and that we might be confusing him. They offer plenty of space for having conversations about the images, and the flaps are fun.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Mon Aug 10, 21:49 2015

As a grade school kid, I spent a lot of time perusing dictionaries, atlases and world almanacs. I blame it on my Big Bird's Sesame Street Dictionary, which was awesome:

Did anyone else own these? I have the full set stashed somewhere for when my kid is old enough.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

spacefem

Postby spacefem » Fri Sep 11, 18:40 2015

my two year old is completely obsessed with Down On The Farm. it's very rhythmic. she gets it in her head and sing/chants it all around the house, it's pretty funny.

JillLemus

Postby JillLemus » Sat Jan 16, 4:52 2016

My kid goes to preschool and his favourite books are the snowy day, goodnight moon, the very hungry caterpillar and more. It is good for children to read books and understand its content, which will be helpful for them. It improve their reading as well as communicational skills.

lyra211

Postby lyra211 » Fri Jan 22, 14:28 2016

Hi from a 36-week-pregnant lady, just starting to build up her kid's library! My husband and I have been reading all the old kids' books that our parents have dumped at our house, and are finding that some hold up and some don't -- with definite surprises in both directions.

Good old books that have held up:
- A Very Special House, by Ruth Krauss, illustrated by Maurice Sendak - chaotic and weird but awesome to read aloud. MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!!! (you've got to be willing to roll with the little dead mouse he takes everywhere)
- A House is a House for Me, by Betty Fraser and Mary Ann Hoberman - love the detailed drawings, the rhymes, the rich language (although a little dated - I know that at least one set of friends we've given this to has crossed out "Eskimo" and replaced with "Inuit")
- The Polar Express
- Lots of Dr. Seuss, particularly Sneetches and Other Stories and Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?
- Mr. Impossible, and some of the other Little Miss / Mister books - but Mr. Impossible is the best so far. Looking at this list, we're apparently into surreality.
- Over and Over, by Charlotte Zolotow - Maybe this one is purely nostalgia on my part, but I sobbed as my husband read it to me, both remembering how it helped me feel settled in the rhythm of the year as a small child and thinking about how our son-to-be will start to experience time, particularly the magic of special holidays.
- All of the Wee Sing books, for remembering kids' songs and rhymes.

Awesome new books that we wish were around when we were kids:
- All of the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems - particularly We Are In a Book!
- Anything by Sandra Boynton, but particularly Snuggle Puppy
- On the Night You Were Born, by Nancy Tillman - a friend just gave this to me recently, and in my highly pregnant state I was sobbing by the end of the first page.

Books that were way weirder than we remembered them:
- The Nutcracker
- The Plant Sitter
- My husband's Norwegian book about trolls, which was incredibly creepy (his family is Norwegian, so you probably won't find your way to this one unless you try really hard).

careme777

Postby careme777 » Sat Jan 23, 9:16 2016

I've got a lot of older favourites, but I think it's fun to try to find new ones too, because there are always good children's book authors publishing. Of our (admitedly) small stash that we're working on, I really like "The Gruffallo". That mouse is wily. And "I want my hat back". That bear... Our 13 month-old doesn't have the comprehension skills to understand or pay attention to either of these books yet, but I'm looking forward to watching him figure them out.

trillianastra

Postby trillianastra » Sun Jan 24, 19:27 2016

Ooo, ooo, one not listed here, from way back in 1971 (pre-me, but my parents read it to me when I was a kid): Father Fox's Pennyrhymes!

"Oh my goodness, Oh my dear/Sassafras and ginger beer!/Chocolate cake and apple punch/I'm too full to eat my lunch!"

Chococat

Postby Chococat » Mon Jan 25, 9:56 2016

My cousin's baby, Luna, loves Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? and Jamberry (which was one of my favorites when I was a one-year-old too). She also loves "pat the bunny" style board books with different textures to feel on each page.

Does anyone remember Blueberries for Sal? "Kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!" I also really liked the book with Grover from Sesame Street, There's A Monster At the End of This Book. I'm looking forward to reading these to Luna when she can follow narrative!

When I was older (6-7), I adored the rendition of the Twelve Dancing Princesses we had; I looked it up and my copy of was written by Marianna Mayer and illustrated by Kinuko Y. Craft. It's a little text-heavy, but that gives you time to appreciate the lush illustrations if you're listening!
Jesus christ, I'm a wizard! Get in the car!

rowan

Postby rowan » Mon Jan 25, 15:15 2016

The Ladybug Girl series is pretty good.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

curlybae

Postby curlybae » Sun May 1, 16:58 2016

We a lot of fairy tale story books. The latest we have is Harry Potter and thats our current favorite.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Mon May 2, 14:45 2016

The Black Book of Colors is awesome. The Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems are really good, as mentioned upthread. I especially like how well Mo depicts emotions.

Sassquatch

Postby Sassquatch » Tue May 3, 5:36 2016

We are on little kids' books here. My favourite book as a child was Professor Wormbog's Gloomy Kerploppus, which was about a clinically depressed kerploppus. It's not in print anymore. I also liked a couple of other awesome books that are not in print anymore because of really clever language play.

I like Richard Scarry books for my three-year-old, and appreciate his updating them to make them less gendered and remove some archaic terms. They're just fun for poking around and finding the little hidden bits. No one really bears Seuss for language play.

Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”