learning to use a toilet

Moderator: melsbells

melsbells

learning to use a toilet

Postby melsbells » Thu Sep 8, 14:29 2016

I know this is something that has a huge age range for when it happens, some kids take a long time working on it, and then every comment section on an article about learning to use the toilet is spammed with people swearing by some 3 day system. I'm curious. What did you try and what worked for your kid?

About two weeks ago, we had a Poop-In-The-Potty-Party* because my kid decided that they were no longer afraid of pooping in the toilet and after a few days of trying, had a complete success. I'm thrilled, but it felt like a completely unexpected route getting to this point. The kid has been consistently peeing in the toilet for what seems like ages (actually less than a year, but at least before summer), how they had specifically been asking for a diaper when needing to poop. The kid's still fairly young, so we obliged, while talking about how the little toilet would be an even better place to poop. Pretending that stuffed animals needed to use the toilet seemed to help and we looked at a number of books and watched "Once Upon A Potty". I like "Once Upon A Potty" more than other options because it talks about both pee and poop and doesn't use as many euphemisms as others. I still wish it had less "baby-talk", but at least with a book, I can easily exchange some words for ones I find more appropriate. The video has the bonus of both the mother and father changing diapers, but I can't change words on the fly. I'm excited. Things are still going well. I think we've only had 2 poopy diapers since that glorious day. The kid is still wearing diapers for naps and during the night and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon, but we are one giant step closer to being done with diapers.

*In case you want to know of what our celebration consisted. Everyone (spouse, kid, and I) wanted to celebrate. The kid's specific requests were that "Father comes" and to "watch Joshua video" (Once Upon A Potty). We spluged on some food we don't normally get and I made some no-churn ice-cream.

rowan

Re: learning to use a toilet

Postby rowan » Thu Sep 8, 18:27 2016

Hooray! Love the party. :)

We tried stickers, we tried books, etc. In the end it took her deciding this was going to be a thing. We didn't really push either, so. I think it helped that she went to daycare where other kids were trained and/or working on training?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

ladyhawk

Postby ladyhawk » Fri Sep 9, 19:41 2016

So, ours was stubborn. He knew when he had to go, and would often tell us, but refused to use the potty because he "didn't feel like it." We tried rewards and celebration, nut he didn't really care about those things. In the end, what actually got him using the potty consistantly was making him clean up his own messes (supervised, of course, and we'd go back over it a second time to make sure everything was tidy.) Kid number two will be starting soon, and I can already tell that tactic won't work with him, so I'm open to suggestions.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Sat Sep 10, 22:36 2016

Let me try again. For the sake of the child's self-esteem, toilet training should not be obligatory, nor should going to school before being trained. She/he will decide to start using the toilet when she/he feels it is a good idea, unless forced to by a traumatizing ordeal. If this post doesn't get censored, I'll go from there.

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 8:10 2016

<modhat> Do not make me give you a second warning for mod martyrdom. </modhat>
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Angelica

Postby Angelica » Sun Sep 11, 8:33 2016

My statement was meant to indicate that I'm not finished with my thoughts on this topic, rather than to create drama.

I believe parents in this world universally make a big mistake when it comes time to start thinking about their children using the toilet. Kids feel forced to do it, and this breeds resentment and damages their self-esteem. Having the father (the mother is needed in the battle against the patriarchy) stay home with the children and homeschool them while they haven't yet decided to train themselves is the way to avoid humiliation by their more-repressed peers.

I would also like to point out that limiting elimination to the toilet at any age creates situations where the person's health is compromised due to the lack of availability of a bathroom. In these situations, I strongly advise parents to let their children wear diapers no matter their age. Retention can lead to kidney stones, intestinal damage, urinary tract infections and harmful bacteria and toxins in the bloodstream.

Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”