Happiest Baby on the Block

Moderator: melsbells

sisehtopyh

Happiest Baby on the Block

Postby sisehtopyh » Thu Jul 6, 16:32 2017

I'm reading this now, so far it seems like Karp is just going on and on about how no one knows what causes crying babies... I've learned that babies fuss or cry for up to 4 hours per day. Remind me again why I got myself into this shit? My due date is in two days and there's no sign of any impending labor, so no need to worry about a crying baby yet, just a crying miserable adult woman with giant cankles...

Does anyone have any other baby/parenting book suggestions? My life now is basically endless epsom salt baths to combat the swelling while I wait to go into labor. I need more bathtub reading :rainbowsmile:

rowan

Re: Happiest Baby on the Block

Postby rowan » Thu Jul 6, 16:46 2017

Babies are all very different about the crying. May you get one that isn't horrible.

You could just read some Discworld. ;) (any baby book ideas I have are 9 years out of date)

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Fri Jul 7, 6:48 2017

I don't remember doing much pre-emptive reading on the baby itself... Most of my reading happened after remedial googling for answers to specific questions and explanations to specific scenarios. Something I wished I'd been better prepared for was breastfeeding. I did ZERO prep for that and wished I'd read more or watched some YouTube videos or something. I was so focused on prepping for labor I totally let breastfeeding slip. KellyMom.com is a great resource for newly minted moms and for breastfeeding, and I prefer the short article format to the book chapter format anyway. So yeah, I just read from the interwebz.
Hope things are going as well as can be expected at this point for you. My younger kid came a full week late, I assume out of stubborness because we kept referring to her as "he" and then I assumed she only showed up because the Dr scheduled a c-section at 41w0d. (How dare he tell her how she would arrive?) Anywho, hang in there. You're in the home stretch.

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Jul 7, 21:12 2017

Aw, yeah breastfeeding for real. I did find the lactation book by LLL to be helpful though sometimes they can be a little ... ah... forceful on it being the ONLY WAY EVAR. But there's some tips I found helpful in it. But at the same time I think actually the lactation consultant helped more because she could actually *see* what we were doing.

And now that I think about it, The Baby Book by the Sears' was useful too. I mean again take with a grain of salt, they are huge on the Breastfeeding is TEH BEST EVAR and also one of them is a little...uh...antivax. But that book at least the edition I had wasn't by that particular one and I think the only thing was a minor nod to maybe alternative schedules which I knew were crap false anyway. I did find it useful to have a reference book for "OMG THIS THING HAPPENED WHAT DO I DO" and general rough ideas of what stages kids go through, while keeping in mind there of course is a lot of variation in timing.

Though our first instance with Croup was when we were on vacation so that was terrifying and we just called the ambulance. *rolls eyes now*

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat Jul 8, 1:04 2017

by my maternity nurse along with two other books in Finnish. I read something my cousin gave me about wrapping babies. If I had the option, I would have scoured the library, and instead I read a lot of articles via the Internet. That was something that my spouse hated because I kept coming up with things that happen in the USA and the UK, but not here. What I linked to as a pdf was really helpful, as were some of the pictures in the Finnish books. Since you're at the point of waiting for labour to start and not in Finland, a lot of that pdf won't be relevant to you, but it does have information past birth.

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Sat Jul 8, 6:24 2017

I (thankfully) took a breastfeeding class. It was free and offered through the pediatrician that we are going to be using. My mom is also very pro-breastfeeding so I think she'll be helpful.

I'll look into the baby book by Sears, it is available at my local library (an older edition, but how much could it have changed?). My town library is sadly only open on weekdays during the summer so that'll be a task for Monday if the baby hasn't arrived yet.

It is officially my due date and troll baby has made no indication of an impending arrival. Oh well. I think at my next appointment I'll talk about induction with the OB.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Sun Jul 9, 12:17 2017

My mom was told to choose one book and use that instead of trying to make sense of all the conflicting books out there. I found wonder weeks really great but the library only had two copies and it was always popular so I never finished it.

I was really unhappy with like 95% of the breastfeeding advice we got (did two classes) they were so... Anti anything but 100% breastfeeding. Fortunately once the kid was out all the medical professionals switched to "Whatever, as long as your baby is fed it doesn't matter" and we were lucky in that breast feeding was really easy for me, even though we made the cardinal sin of giving him a bottle of formula a day for the first few days.

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Mon Jul 10, 7:05 2017

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Wed Jul 12, 10:52 2017

My mum gave me 'Your Baby and Child' by Penelope Leach, which is what she used when she had me. It covers from birth to five years. I read the first section about newborns in preparation. After having the baby, I realised I have zero time or brain power to do anything so I never got around to the rest of it. In general, I liked the book though. It's a simple overview and has nice color photos.

Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”